• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Recommend a Podcast

Setenza

Prominent Member
I have a 70 minute train journey (twice a day) so I use my phone to listen to a lot of Podcasts.

These include The Now Show, Russell Brand, Russell Howard & John Richardson and Mark Kermode.

All are very good and all are very BBC.

Can anyone recommend some others. The only stipulations are they must be free and they must be available WITHOUT the use of I-Tunes. I will not have that software on my laptop.

I like comedy, film and entertainment, but will happily consider more cerebral material

Uridium

Distinguished Member
I have a 70 minute train journey (twice a day) so I use my phone to listen to a lot of Podcasts.

These include The Now Show, Russell Brand, Russell Howard & John Richardson and Mark Kermode.

All are very good and all are very BBC.

Can anyone recommend some others. The only stipulations are they must be free and they must be available WITHOUT the use of I-Tunes. I will not have that software on my laptop.

I like comedy, film and entertainment, but will happily consider more cerebral material

XOD, are you using the Nokia Podcasting client?

Virgin Radio used to have a few decent one you could download direct or through the nokia podcasting client. Al Murray's sunday show used to be a regular one i downloaded.

If your looking for entertainment on you N95 while commuting have you tried the Nokia audiobook player?

krish

Distinguished Member
The Adam & Joe Xfm Podcasts
www.xfm.co.uk/sectional.asp?id=8850
- they're all from 2006, still downloadable

I would recommend the Gervais/Merchant/Pilkington podcasts that were free in association with Guardian Unlimited, but they're no longer legally available for free, however they do have their 'free and occasional podcast from Ricky Gervais, featuring Stephen Merchant and Karl Pilkington.' (http://podcast.rickygervais.com/podcast.xml)

Other stuff ...
BBC podcasts: Broadcasting House, The Daily Mayo, Mark Kermode and Simon Mayo's Film reviews, From Our Own Correspondent, John Pienaar's Political Review, Sportsweek

Gary D

Distinguished Member
The only stipulations are they ... must be available WITHOUT the use of I-Tunes. I will not have that software on my laptop.

iTunes needs to be taken out the barn on a cold sunday night and shot through the head with both barrels!! Oh and give Steve Jobs a slap while your out there!!

Fighting Talk!! very very funny if you like sport (which you dont say you do but its funny none the less :smashin:)

Gary

Uridium

Distinguished Member
iTunes needs to be taken out the barn on a cold sunday night and shot through the head with both barrels!! Oh and give Steve Jobs a slap while your out there!!

Fighting Talk!! very very funny if you like sport (which you dont say you do but its funny none the less :smashin:)

Gary

Half the reason i upgraded to Vista 64-Bit, just in case one of the kids tries to do a "sneaky" iTunes install.

It won't run on Vista 64 :D

Setenza

Prominent Member
I have all the the Gervais podcasts from 2005-6. They are superb and of course, aquainted us with Karl "I could eat a knob at night" Pilkington.

I use the BBC alot for downloads. I was hoping that there may be some other free alternatives.

Sorry, but after helping my son out with I-tunes, I'd never have it on my PC. Frankly the best software for administering and downloading MP3 was "AllTunes" from the now defunct "AllofMP3.com"

I haven't used any of the propriety software for Podcasts on the N95. Again, because I have to be budget conscious, I'm reticent about using any service that may incur charges.

Gary D

Distinguished Member
Off Topic - XoD - I've just clicked the "My AV setup" link in your sig - that's one of the funniest things I've seen in ages :smashin:

krish

Distinguished Member

krish

Distinguished Member
The Collings and Herrin podcast with Andrew Collins and Richard Herring
- www.comedy.org.uk/podcasts/collingsherrin
Welcome to the Andrew Collings (Andrew Collins) and Richard Herrin (Richard Herring) podcasts in which we deliver our own sideways look at the news. Our fervent wish is to recreate our now legendary news reviews from Andrew's now-defunct BBC 6 Music show, except without the indie records interrupting us, and without the need to temper the content for fear of offending a Sunday afternoon radio audience.
its been going for 18 episodes/weeks now (old eps still downloable), reasonably amusing :smashin:

funkyspider

Prominent Member
Not a podcast but a great resource for plays, comedy series etc. I download a lot to listen to in the car, all recorded from radio.

http://radioarchive.cc/torrents.php

Need to join to download, but it's only your standard forum signup.

For comedy I will happily send you some great series I've downloaded or see if you can find them for download.

Clare in the community
Deep Trouble - really funny
to name a couple

PoochJD

Distinguished Member
Hi Xusia,

1 - Just a quick question to everyone: why do you all hate iTunes so much, and if you don't use it, how do you get your music/podcasts, etc onto your iPods?! :confused:

2 - If you don't mind watching something, as well as listening, then the following podcasts may be of interest to you:

Vintage ToonCast
(loads of vintage animated cartoons, that are now considered to politically incorrect for one reason or another, or just of a dubious, explicit or controversial nature, that they are considered inappropriate to be even mentioned)

35mm
(Sky's movie show has a podcast, though it's a bit hit-and-miss.)

The Cobra Podcast with Danny Wallace and Dom Joly
(Bit of a lad's humour podcast, but amusing.)

www.arseblog.com
(The website hosts its own Arsecast. Currently 80 x 30-minute casts available for all to enjoy - providing you're not under 15!)

Pooch

Setenza

Prominent Member
Hi Xusia,

1 - Just a quick question to everyone: why do you all hate iTunes so much, and if you don't use it, how do you get your music/podcasts, etc onto your iPods?! :confused:

If you have an iPod, then you are forced to install this software to transfer your music.

Other MP3 players attach and are seen by the operating system as a mass storage device much like a USB flashdrive.

You can then just drag and drop your data.

No hassle and no DRM.

iTunes is a typical piece of protectionist, pervasive, emperor's new clothes piece of software.

It's also a bitch to clean of your hardrive, leaving orphan files and entries all over the gaff.

XoD.

Uridium

Distinguished Member
Hi Xusia,

Just find iTunes to "nannying" for me and because MP3 players and podcasts do actually exist beyond the world of Apple ;)

I use the integrated podcast client on my N95

Praxidike

Banned
It didn't back in January when that was posted :rolleyes:

It did for me. (And have your eyes back: :rolleyes:)

It decided to tell me the CD drive wouldn't work properly, but clicking OK ignores it and it still works/worked fine. I've dabled with Vista since beta, both x86 and x64, and iTunes has been able to be installed on every version I've used. Perhaps it depends on which version of iTunes you were trying to install.

Last edited:

RockStrongo

Established Member
I've downloaded a few of these podcasts and enjoyed them very much. Got a strange problem though.
The Collins and Herring ones sound perfect on my ipod and the computer. However, if I burn them to a CD using Toast to listen to in the car they sound like an out of tune radio. I've also noticed this with the podcast for a radio show called G3. This bizarrely seems to be podcast dependent i.e. all other podcasts from other sources will burn ok, but all episodes of these particular podcasts will not play properly when burnt.

Any ideas? :lease:

krish

Distinguished Member
CERN Podcast - www.cernpodcast.com - phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=251294167 - www.cernpodcast.com/?feed=rss2
What is CERN Podcast?

Take the biggest experiment in the history of the universe (well, this universe anyway). Take some well known people from all sorts of walks of life. Take a former keyboard player from D:Ream, now a physics professor. Mix them altogether for half an hour or so to serve up a cocktail of entertaining chat shows with a bit of particle physics thrown in. And you wouldn’t get that on Channel 4 would you?
Selected highlights ...

Brian Cox (no, not that Brian Cox, but Prof. Brian Cox of CERN, former early 90s popstar, regular BBC Radio4/Horizon broadcaster, and pop science celeb) invited Chris Morris (yes, that Chris Morris ;)) to the Large Hadron Collider at CERN, made a podcast out of it and Morris then also wrote an article in the Grauniad about his visit ...
Chris Morris is considered to be one of the greatest satirists ever and has been responsible for some of the most controversial, and let’s face it funny, programmes on television. In the UK, comedy writers and performers ranked him number 11 out of the 50 greatest comedy acts ever, above people including Bill Hicks, Peter Sellars and Eddie Izzard.

Apart from being a comedy great, he’s an incredibly interesting guy. He’s performed with Peter Cook, Stereolab used his sketches as lyrics on one of their albums, he won a BAFTA for his first short film and, for ‘Brass Eye’, he tricked a British politician into asking questions in Parliament about a made-up drug called ‘cake’ (which still remains in the public record).

Oh, and he’s also really into science.

Brian and Chris have been friends for several years now. When they get together, conversation tends to start on politics (Brian’s favoured topic of conversation) and move swiftly onto what’s being done at CERN (Chris’s favoured topic of conversation). Brian decided to invite Chris out to Geneva in order to see it all for himself.

Along with Brian, Chris also spoke to other CERN physicists Thorsten Wengler and Albert De Roeck. This podcast takes us to both ATLAS and CMS. We normally go to ATLAS, this is the first time CERN Podcast has recorded at CMS. If you’ve never seen CMS before, make sure you have a look.

Kevin Eldon and Simon Munnery (aka "Alan Parker: Urban Warrior") paid an earlier visit to CERN ...
Kevin Eldon and Simon Munnery at CERN

[youtube]_k8AJFOQ6C8[/youtube]

Kevin Eldon and Simon Munnery are well-known to British comedy fans.

Also known by his stagenames of Alan Parker: Urban Warrior and The League Against Tedium, Simon Munnery is a comedy writer and experimental standup comedian.The Observer newspaper called Simon, ‘One of the most original and talented comedians in the country’. He’s recently released two DVDs of his work and one of his songs, Grey Clouds - a take-off of The Orb’s Little Fluffy Clouds - was featured on Annie Nightingale’s CD Y4K.

Kevin Eldon will be recognised from comedy projects such as Brass Eye, Black Books, I’m Alan Partridge, Spaced, Big Train, Fist of Fun and Hyperdrive, and appeared as Sergeant Tony Fisher in Hot Fuzz alongside Simon Pegg and Nick Frost. He also appeared in Simon’s surreal comedy series Attention Scum.

Brian Cox invited them out to Geneva for a tour of CERN and they proved to be extremely informed and interested in physics and the work being done at CERN. And, it goes without saying, they were very funny, too.

krish

Distinguished Member
Real Time with Bill Maher
- full mp3 audio version of his HBO TV show (not sure if its broadcast in the UK, but I still catch it ;)) along with "Overtime" an exclusive podcast audio supplement to the TV show.

The official HBO site for the TV show claims "We are very sorry. At this time full episodes are only available for podcasts within the U.S." .. but this is clearly is not the case as I have no trouble getting it delivered via the subscription feed (www.hbo.com/podcasts/billmaher/podcast.xml)
2008 promises to be a year of change, hope, renewal and, at long last, a new president. Bill Maher and his peerless panelists are back to take on the contenders, and pretenders, all year long! Download complete episodes including Overtime, where Bill and his guests answer fan questions. New Season premieres Friday, August 29 at 11PM/10C.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom