Recommend a NAS solution

RRB

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

Looking for a NAS solution that has 2+ drive bays and can be used to stream media via xbox 360 without PC being on. I assume it would run something like twonkymedia ? Looking for a reasonably cheap solution. I have been looking at Buffalo, synology and thecus products but would just like some input here if possible.

I know i can get a very cheap PC and create a NAS box but id rather have a small out of the way thing.

Thanks

Perfect soluton for you. go search for Freenas.

I built a Nas based on this in less than a day. Wonderful

I have a Netgear SC101, with 2 x 400GB IDE HDD's which I am not currently using. Would this be any use?

I have a Netgear SC101, with 2 x 400GB IDE HDD's which I am not currently using. Would this be any use?

Heard a few bad reports on them, does it run ok for you ? You cant use it for running twonky or anything but i may be interested depending on price ?

FYI: Just listed it in the Trading forum.

I have a similar problem, my HTPC which I built a couple of years ago when HDD's were pricey only has a 40gb HDD and it's virtually full.

I do have another 120gb HDD lying around so I could fit that and reinstall MCE but apart from the fact that I can't really be bothered I also think that 120gb is only a temporary solution.

Now HDD's are much cheaper I thought about getting a 500gb internal HDD, a 500gb external USB HDD or a 400gb NAS HDD.

I've found that the price of an internal HDD and a USB external one are about the same, approx £90 for 500gb, so I would choose the USB, however for £130 I could get this 400gb NAS/Ethernet HDD:

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3=&product_uid=123416&_LOC=UK

I got a 120gb WD USB HDD about a year ago and it went faulty (the actual HDD was ok must have been the interface?) and I remember thinking that a NAS drive would make much more sense in my situation as I have 3 PC's and a Macbook, I also have a router which I could plug the NAS drive into and that 400gb would be much more useful on my network!

Trouble is it's another £40, I'm getting tired of paying for the boring bits of electronics! I'm starting to think I should just tidy some files on my 300gb HDD on one of my networked PC's instead and put the cash toward some shiny new kit! (aaahh, the excitement of opening the box and the smell of new electronics, how I've missed you !!!) after all it's nearly the third of the price of a PS3, mmm tempting.:confused:

Decided now ill probably forget about the media side of things on the NAS as its limiting my options at the price and as my pc in on 24/7 anyway for streaming through xbox. Looking at the DLink DNS-323 now as ideally i want 2 drive bays.

I just spent a couple of hours deleting files from my pc's hard drive and gained 50gb!

so now I'm just going to add a network folder on my HTPC so I can access files from my upstairs PC, it's switched on all the time anyway!

I've actually managed to NOT spend any money, at least for now!

Perfect soluton for you. go search for Freenas.

I built a Nas based on this in less than a day. Wonderful

Thinking about building one now. Small shuttle box would do i guess, probably as cheap as buying a nas box and about the same sort of size.

Well I finally gave in to temptation!

Visited maplins today and they had a NAS HDD enclosure reduced from £59.99 to £39.99 so I decided to get one.

The trouble is now I want a big HDD to fit in it, I do have my 120gb HDD lying around but fancy something bigger, I've seen 320gb drives for about £50, or I might just wait for a really good deal on a big external USB HDD and take the HDD out and use that!

I should just clear out my existing 300gb drive and use that but it takes ages when there's hundreds of gigs of stuff to look through.

....I should just clear out my existing 300gb drive and use that but it takes ages when there's hundreds of gigs of stuff to look through.

Hehe, I know what you mean :eek: :eek: :eek:

Well I finally gave in to temptation!

Visited maplins today and they had a NAS HDD enclosure reduced from £59.99 to £39.99 so I decided to get one.

The trouble is now I want a big HDD to fit in it, I do have my 120gb HDD lying around but fancy something bigger, I've seen 320gb drives for about £50, or I might just wait for a really good deal on a big external USB HDD and take the HDD out and use that!

I should just clear out my existing 300gb drive and use that but it takes ages when there's hundreds of gigs of stuff to look through.

How about one of these? :devil:

Go on, you know you want to! :smashin:

Haha, and then in a few months he'll have 1000Gb of files that need sorting / deleting!

I know what you mean, more space equals more mess (at least it does for me!:rolleyes: ).

The 1tb HDD is tempting but I just got a 320gb HDD and put that in!

This is the Lan HDD enclosure from Maplin:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=97390&criteria=lan enclosure&doy=24m4

I'm really pleased with it, just put the drive in, plugged it in to my router and I now have over 300gb of storage on my network! (it even looks ok)

I didn't need to configure anything, it just showed up in my network places.

It cost just under £100 in total for both.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom