Recommend a Music streaming device please

R

Rockthejock

Looking to stream music only to my kitchen from my iomega NAS. Don't have a screen only connecting to my hifi. Any suggestions?

Squeezebox server very likely wont run on that nas, so that would rule out a Squeezebox.

If it supports upnp, then maybe an internet radio that supports upnp or even, if you have the money, a Sonos S5.

Sonos probably won't run on Iomega NAS either (but Sonos requires less of a NAS than Squeezebox). However, your existing NAS is probably the last place to start. What format support / quality are you looking for? Are you looking for a system where you can add more rooms/zones in the future? Do you want built-in internet streaming (eg. Napster, Spotify)? And most importantly, what's your budget?

Files are mostly mp3, went for flexibility rather than all out quality. Only looking at one room, not really interested in expansion. Budget, hard to say but £100 is somewhere to start. No overly interested in internet streaming though would be a nice bonus.
Cheers so far.

Get a second hand Roku Soundbridge M1000 or M1001 off EBay.

As long as you are not running Twonky V5.1 that should fit the bill.

I did think of one of those before, local Currys had them for £20 but at the time my wireless didn't work in the kitchen, i have reconfigured the system now and of course they are no longer available. Are they any good?

Sonos probably won't run on Iomega NAS either (but Sonos requires less of a NAS than Squeezebox).

Please explain this is more detail please? Exactly why wouldn't the Sonos run off that or any other NAS for that matter?

Please explain this is more detail please? Exactly why wouldn't the Sonos run off that or any other NAS for that matter?

Couldn't get Sonos to recognise my Iomega NAS, works fine with a basic cheapie WD MyBook, Sonos and Squeezebox have differing requirements for a NAS for the "play music off the NAS no PC required" scenario.

Couldn't get Sonos to recognise my Iomega NAS, works fine with a basic cheapie WD MyBook, Sonos and Squeezebox have differing requirements for a NAS for the "play music off the NAS no PC required" scenario.

I'm still a bit baffled as to why you couldn't get the Sonos to play from the Iomega NAS, sounds like a configuration issue with the NAS itself.

I did think of one of those before, local Currys had them for £20 but at the time my wireless didn't work in the kitchen, i have reconfigured the system now and of course they are no longer available. Are they any good?

I wish I could get a new one for £20.

Yes, I think they are very good. I have 3

I'm still a bit baffled as to why you couldn't get the Sonos to play from the Iomega NAS, sounds like a configuration issue with the NAS itself.

I think I was unlucky, Sonos seems to work with most NASs, but with a few (often Iomega) exceptions... mine seemed to be one of them... but I was looking to having more storage and had factored a NAS purchase into my Sonos setup anyway.

After doning some investigating i don't think it was the m1000 i saw for £20. It was wireless only.
Thanks for all the help so far. Feel free to make other sugestions.

I think I was unlucky, Sonos seems to work with most NASs, but with a few (often Iomega) exceptions... mine seemed to be one of them... but I was looking to having more storage and had factored a NAS purchase into my Sonos setup anyway.

Sonos can only index music on a top level share (e.g. \\nasname\mymusic) so if the NAS does not allow directories to be created in this way then you can have problems. Another problem is that some NAS units need client software on your PC/laptop to access the NAS (in which case it is not really a "proper" NAS) which again could be the problem.

I think i should be okay, my PS3 accesses it no problem.
Its just a shame that everything that seems to be available is second hand and about 2 or 3 years old. I can't imagine too many people wanting to stream hd movies to their kitchen!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom