• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Recommend a MB for me, please?

elementalist2

Standard Member
I've asked about HTPCs in other posts coz, even though I'm quite tech-savvy and have built PCs before, it's confusing me lots, but I'm realising that it's almost impossible for folks to advise on a good build unless given more detail on requirements than I even know! ;)

I'm hoping I can still make progress by starting component by component - motherboard first.

Basically, I would like to avoid complications/size/heat (probably like most) and it's looking like trying for a MB that can output 1080P HD video *and* multi-channel sound via HDMI may help with my requirements and, perhaps, limit the field nicely.

So - can anyone help me finding a MB that will fit the bill, please? Thanks very much for any help!

Oo - I should say - again with limiting complication in mind I'd quite like a MB that comes in decent a barebones sytem...

Last edited:

elementalist2

Standard Member
Thanks for the response - I was looking at the Asus site as you were and found at least 6 MBs that go on about HDMI audio and video, but in slightly different ways, so now I need to know what the individual buzzwords they bandy actually mean ;) And that's just looking at Asus - now I guess I need to look at Abi, Gigabyte, MSI, etc?

I guess if it says "multichannel audio and CD video through the same HDMI cable" then that's what I need?

Hmm, the M2N-VM HDMI has nVidia "PureVideo": "PureVideo HD technology is the core of a complete Blu-ray or HD DVD movie solution, featuring hardware acceleration, post-processing, HDCP circuitry, and integration with leading HD movie software players"

So much to research...

Anyone have an opinion on AMD vs. Intel and ATI/Crosssfire vs. nVidia/SLI? Does it make a difference even for an HTPC? (Do these motherboards have onboard graphics or just ATI/nVidia support?... hmm need to look again)

Last edited:

elementalist2

Standard Member
Lol - a brief conversation with a colleague in my office has sent me in a different direction now - perhaps you folks could tell me what you think?

He says that onboard graphics/sound isn't really the way to go and that graphics cards can now provide HDMI sound and graphics and that using a non-onboard (discrete?) card makes for a cheaper solution: the MB, memory and CPU don't need to be the latest thing for an HTPC and the HTPC graphics/sound cards aren't expensive. Also, the onboard graphics/sound/everything makes things hard to cool.

So now I have to work out which of the 1000 graphics cards available, which is the best for media playing (with sound)...

Help someone! hehe

Last edited:

HellRazer

Standard Member
Get one with the HD3200 integrated graphics card. It is an AMD chipset 780G. You can couple it with an energy efficient Athlon 64 and it will still be able to do wonders!

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom