Question Recommend a Head for a Monopod ?

shotokan101

Ex Member
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a nice lightweight head suitable for a monopod ?

Thanks,

Jim

I guess this depends on your definition of light ;) I use the Manfrotto 496RC2 but I needed something robust as use my D750 with 70-200mm f2.8 on it. The 494RC2 is a bit smaller and lighter.

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Have you tried using it without a head, I don't use one on mine

Yeah - tried that but not happy with leaning the monopod sometimes so want to try with a head.

Thanks - definitely got to be tilt head really and I suppose I should make sure it's compatible with my Tripod Head's QR - DUH! - will check those out - BTW does the weight capacity really matter when using a monopod ? (for the head I mean)

Yeah - tried that but not happy with leaning the monopod sometimes so want to try with a head.

Thanks - definitely got to be tilt head really and I suppose I should make sure it's compatible with my Tripod Head's QR - DUH! - will check those out - BTW does the weight capacity really matter when using a monopod ? (for the head I mean)
Dunno, I guess it's there for a reason and they always rate the heads separate to the 'pods'. I would imagine there's no issue when on the central axis, but when tilted there's going to be added stress on the head.

Dunno, I guess it's there for a reason and they always rate the heads separate to the 'pods'. I would imagine there's no issue when on the central axis, but when tilted there's going to be added stress on the head.

I know what you mean but (don't know about you and maybe my technique is "wrong" ) but I sledom actually hold the Pod itself so - right hand on camera body for shutter release and camera adjustments etc. and left hand on Lens for focus/zoom so left hand tends to also support (at least some of) the total weight...

I know what you mean but (don't know about you and maybe my technique is "wrong" ) but I sledom actually hold the Pod itself so - right hand on camera body for shutter release and camera adjustments etc. and left hand on Lens for focus/zoom so left hand tends to also support (at least some of) the total weight...
Do you know what, I've never really thought about how I use a monopod and don't know if I hold the actual monopod or not :blush:

I use the manfroto rc2 as well

Mine has a manfrotto 488RC2 attached. It's a bit bigger than most and quite heavy at 670g, but it's attached to a cullmann 2930 which is a big old solid lump of aluminium. (The 488 was bought that long ago, that it has the old blue manfrotto logo)

I also have the smaller, lighter 484 which is smaller than the 496 snerks suggested. It's pretty good if you're using it with light weight kit as the usual issues with the smaller ball socket aren't so bad. I used it with my D810 and 20mm f1.8 with no issues.

Why ? :D - serious question BTW :)
As in why use a quick release plate, or because it reads that he only uses the RC2 plate itself (ie no head)? ;)

As in why use a quick release plate, or because it reads that he only uses the RC2 plate itself (ie no head)? ;)

Indeed - hence the question ;)

I think it's called the compact ball head with rc2. Not exactly light weight. On a carbon monopod it makes the balance point more or less at the top. The advantage is you get the flexibility of the ball head in terms of movement.

Well that clarified it :rolleyes: ;)

Glad you agree :cool:

...now that we've sorted out that it's sensible to get a head that uses the same QR plate as your tripod head does..... need to check out what brand my heads are :blush: - anyone else think when they first got into photography that "tripod" meant that you had to buy three (tripods and heads) ? :facepalm:

This any good Jim?

5054070775660_A

George Home Wooden Hobby Horse | Kids | ASDA Direct

LOL - prefer the later model ;)

segway+new+sports+car.jpg

Glad you agree :cool:

...now that we've sorted out that it's sensible to get a head that uses the same QR plate as your tripod head does..... need to check out what brand my heads are :blush: - anyone else think when they first got into photography that "tripod" meant that you had to buy three (tripods and heads) ? :facepalm:
I've swapped my giottos ball head plate to a Manfrotto RC2 so that I can use the Black Rapid fastenR-T1 to be able to clip my BR strap on whilst the plate is still attached :rolleyes:

I've swapped my giottos ball head plate to a Manfrotto RC2 so that I can use the Black Rapid fastenR-T1 to be able to clip my BR strap on whilst the plate is still attached :rolleyes:

...didn't know it was specific to a brand/type of QR - also didn't know that you could swap the QR plates :blush:

That's the fastener I mentioned so that I can connect my BR sling strap to the base of the camera with the RC2 QR plate in place, so I can take the strap off and place the camera directly on the tripod. Trouble is it's only compatible with the RC2 which only fits Manfrotto plates. Therefore I had to buy a RC2 too plate and fix it to my giottos ballhead via that screw adapter (after removing the Giottos top plate obviously ;))

Last edited:
Ooooooooooo......... Kkkkkkkkkkkkkk :D

...so as I currently have two Giotto Heads and a knock off Single BR strap what "should" I need then ?

Ooooooooooo......... Kkkkkkkkkkkkkk :D

...so as I currently have two Giotto Heads and a knock off Single BR strap what "should" I need then ?
Weeeelll, nothing unless you REALLY want all of you plates to be the same (assuming you have/buy a Manfrotto), or want to do the same as me and be able to attach a sling strap to the base of the camera without removing the tripod plate. If it wasn't for the latter I was happy having two different systems/QR plates (giottos on tripod, Manfrotto on monopod).

If you do really want to convert the giottos top plate to a Manfrotto, assuming your giottos one has the same way of fixing to the actual ball you'll need a RC2 top plate for each head, and one of those adapters for each head. You can then just have one fastenR-T1 attached to one RC2 QR plate and use this for all the heads.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom