Recommend a HDMI switch for SkyHD (Neet not doing the job!)

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by duckson, Feb 6, 2014.

1. duckson

duckson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I have tried and failed to get a powered Neet 1 in/2 out HDMI switch working (including a replacement they sent me to test) with my SkyHD box (not sure on model, its about 6 months old and I think 500GB (?), they were giving them as a free upgrade to Thomson box owners).
    I have 0.9m Amazon basics HDMI cables between the Neet and the sky box and one between the Neet and the local LG TV, the 2nd TV (Sony) is on the end of a half decent 10m HDMI cable, a Cablesson Prime.
    On the 10m cable/Sony TV I get green/purple screens and sometimes the sound only, the TV does flash up 1080i at times. This happens if I use the local TV for the Sky first, If I reset the Neet and try the 10m/Sony TV first it works ok (as it does when plugged into the Sky box directly or into the Neet with the local TV unplugged) until I then use the local LG TV then the problems come back. I also get the “TV unsupported message” at times as well, my 10m TV does support 1080i/1080p but it is a 720p TV (the screen actually reports 1080i or 1080p) so I don’t think this is the issue.
    I’m assuming this is some sort of HDCP/EDID problem, the Sky boxes I believe can be a bit fussy with this sort of thing?
    Anyone got a HDMI switch/splitter working with their newish Sky box that they can recommend even if its 1 in/4 out?
    I’ve seen switchers mentioned that work but they are in the £150 bracket, don’t really want to be paying that so if possible £50 or less!

Thanks.

2. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    Just to save confusion its a splitter you need not a switch, I do understand that is what you have from NEET but just wanted to get the terminology correct.

Have you tried with shorter/different cables ?

We have a a tried and tested with Sky 2 way splitter at £69+VAT but I think you need to do some more investigation of what is causing the problem first.

3. duckson

duckson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Hi,
    I have tried swapping out the Amazon Basics cables with others I have but no difference, I haven’t tried a different 10m cable as I only have one. I could try a shorter cable than this but would have to lug the Sony TV to the same location, I suppose I could try this.

I thought it looked like a HDCP issue though, the Neet box LED is flashing slowly (10 seconds on, 10 seconds off etc) for that output and the TV screen shows 1080i on and off as well as the TV not supported warning and green or purple screens (but some audio). The 10m cable also works direct from Sky box to TV or via the splitter but with the other TV unplugged or not used first.

£69+VAT is more than I wanted to spend but if it works then maybe I might go to that much but if it doesn’t I would be wanting a refund! J

4. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    HDCP/EDID issues happens normally because of the length of the cable especially with the symptoms you are experiencing.

We offer a 7 day return guarantee so you can purchase without any concerns to test it. We also give a 5% discount to Avforum members use discount code AVF5 when buying from our shop.

HDMI Splitter 1X2 with Full 3D and 4Kx2K 340MHz Pigtail Type

5. Davefevs

Davefevs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've got 2 Cablesson 1x4 splitters, one is daily chained to give a powered connection between 2x15m HDMIs. I'm a novice in all of this technology, I'm probably breaking all of the rules, but it works.

Had I known enough about cat5 when building the extension on our house, I would installed two runs all throughout the house. Hindsight us wonderful.

So I have a right mess.

Tv in front room - sky to splitter to tv (all hdmi)
    Tv in playroom - splitter to tv (10m flat hdmi)
    Tv in kitchen extension - as described above (2x15m via daisy chained splitter)
    Tv in bedroom - splitter to neet hdmi over cat5 (new)

I'm sure the purists on here will have a good ole chuckle, but 1) it works and 2) the wife cannot see the cables and 3) darn sight cheaper than Sky Multiscreen!

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,513
    HDMI has lots of background comms on the wire - your description of this first that second, plugging, unplugging is not going to be helping, esp with, by the sounds of it, an 'older' HD Ready display in the mix.

Some low cost 'splitters' play at silly buggers with HDCP and will only output a stable signal on their B socket if the A socket is outputting a signal!

Joe