Mallett94

Distinguished Member
Hello all. Finally ordered a PS5 on Tuesday. I have a Steel Series Arctis Pro Wireless headset. Sometimes my PS5 will be played on a 4K 55 inch HDR TV (a TV that can actually do HDR properly - 'only' HDMI 2.0b though) and sometimes it will be played on a 27 inch 4K monitor (with HDR disabled on console - also 'only' HDMI 2.0b).

Initially I was hoping that when connected to the TV, I could set the audio out settings on the PS5 to Audio Visual Receiver, 5.1 channels, Bitstream Dolby, Output to headphones: Chat audio and then TV would pass the Dolby Digital 5.1 audio signal that my headset's transmitter requires in order to make the optimal use of the DTS Headphone:X 2.0 virtual surround sound technology. Unfortunately, even though the TV can pass this signal through, it cannot do it without adding lag/audio delay of approx. 0.5 - 1 second. This renders this workaround unusable/unplayable for me. Also, when playing on the monitor I would need a direct toslink connection for the headset transmitter anyway.

Note that for native PS5 games which actually use the Tempest Engine 3D Audio as well as PS4 games which have a 3D audio implementation, I am perfectly happy to send audio for game and chat via USB cable direct to the transmitter (Output to headphones: All audio), enable 3D audio on the PS5 and disable the VSS on the transmitter box to experience and make use of the PS5 3D audio. However, for PS5 games, and the majority of PS4 games, which don't make use of 3D audio, I do want to send an 'old style' 5.1 Dolby Digital audio signal to my transmitter via digital optical cable so that I get extremely good virtual 7.1 surround sound in the headset.

To this end, has anyone else had to go through this experience already and is able to offer an opinion on which audio extractor adapter to purchase? The main 3 options I am considering at the moment are =>

Amazon product
Amazon product
Amazon product
I am leaning towards the first one in the list because the switch is explicitly for 5.1 which is what my transmitter needs. The second option I am unsure if it has the correct EDID combo for what I want. If I went for it I would think I would need either dip switches 4 & 5 switched to ON or dip switches 3, 4 & 5 switched to ON. The 3rd is simply the Astro gaming adapter which I am sure works exactly as I want however, it is the most expensive.

I am thinking the first one would probably be fine and if I purchase it today I can get it for only £20.99.

Thanks in advance for any pointers or suggestions that people can give.

Last edited:

Mallett94

Distinguished Member
Well I bought the first device which I had listed in my original post and it works perfectly. I tested with a PS3 that the EDID switcher between Stereo, 5.1 and Passthrough worked as expected with the HDMI Audio signal formats available to the PS3 changing appropriately when changing the switch on the device.

I am very happy because this allows me to continue using my Arctis Pro Wireless in the same way I used them for my PS4 Pro. I haven't done a comparison between DD5.1 into transmitter then DTS Headphone:X 2.0 virtual surround sound to the headset and the PS5 Tempest Engine 3D Audio yet. I might try it with COD Black Ops Cold War at some point this week. Note that this allows people to retain the chat/mix functionality that they would have had on PS4.

Anyone who wants to continue using an Arctis Pro Wireless, Astro A40 or Astro A50 with Astro Mixamp, or Turtle Beach Elite with Turtle Beach TAC, on the PS5, and has no interest in (or is happy to sacrifice) 120hz, this is the device to get which will allow you to do so.

Amazon product
I hope this helps others out there.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom