Recommend a HDBaset Solution

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Austin_Yeahbaby, Sep 21, 2015.

1. Austin_Yeahbaby

Austin_Yeahbaby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Hi, I'm just about to start a full home refurbishment with 8 rooms output, currently have 5 sources but looking to future proof with 4k

Any recommendations on a good 4 x 8 solution that incorporates 4k? I really like the looks at the HDAnywhere but it's £6k!

Maybe better to go for the 4 x 4 non 4K at £999 and the 4 x 4k at £2,499 (Still a lot cheaper but really fancied a single box solution)

Thanks

2. cmclean

cmclean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    I'd be asking do you really need 4K?
    Reason is that of course although you think your future proofing by the time you have 4 x 4k native inputs and 8 x native 4k output devices the prices are likely to go down.

saying that if you are still wanting 4K why not consider a modular 8 slot chassis and build up the input output modules as and when you need rather them.
    Other manufacturers to consider Wyrestorm, Leaf and Octava (which I am sure Joe will jump in and talk to you about)

I'm assuming that your putting in a very capable structured cabling system in and if you are why not consider JAP modules that send HD including 4K more recently over your network as they're also very good

3. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    Be very careful with 4K as not all 4k is the same. What would your 4K sources likely to be, if UHD BluRay then its unlikely any HDBaseT matrix is going to be handle this for a while as they need to support HDMI 2.0/HDCP2.2. Confusingly the new HDBaseT 2.0 chipset wont help with that either.

Also consider that HDMi can only send one video resolution at a time so maybe better having local 4K sources to the main 4K TV.

I would then of course recommend our range of Matrixes which include 4x4, 6x6, 8x6, 8x8, which support 4k2k in the same was as others do.

HDBaseT

Also consider that 2 x 4x4 matricies doesnt give you 8x8 , at best it gives you 4x8 or 8x4. For 4x8 you would still need to add 4 splitters which is just going to make the whole thing even more cobbled together.

Seb

4. Austin_Yeahbaby

Austin_Yeahbaby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Thanks, very helpful advice.

I'm looking at the Amazon fire 4k, Youview 4k and I think within 12 months Sky 4K will be available.

It would be pretty easy to put the fire locally as it's tiny and as you say Sky 4k or Blu ray 4k might require new chipset anyway so maybe difficult to future proof at this stage.

5. Austin_Yeahbaby

Austin_Yeahbaby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I actually noticed that the HDAnywhere 4x8 doesn't actually support PoE/PoH, it just has 5v power required for each receiver.

Weird as the 4x4 does use Poe

6. Member 319784

Member 319784

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +240
    Hi Austin, How's it going? The mHub 4K 8x8 matrix, is PoE (which we call PoH sometimes) as it's a HDBaseT-Pro (Class A) matrix, so power is supplied to the receivers over the Cat cable. It doesn't need power supplies for its receivers. Also, it supports HDCP 2.2 which is important for a lot of 4K devices including the BT Youview 4K box. mHub 4K 8x8 and the 4x4 model support [email protected] 4:2:0. They can't output [email protected] 4:4:4, but nor can any HDBaseT matrix currently.

So we're clear with what you're trying to do- are you planning on soley having 4K HDTVs with HDCP 2.2? Or will you have some full HD 1080p TVs too? With ref. to price tag, we offer 10% off to Av Forums users

Hope this helps,

Dee

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,424
    'currently have 5 sources but looking to future proof with 4k' - multiple CAT6 and or an empty conduit is the current 'future proofing' as currently the video distribution hardware is a step (or two) behind what is on the near horizon in terms of Video Sources and Displays.

Don't solely concentrate on video resolution - you need to ensure you cover off features such as HDCP 2.2, HDR, 2160p60, enhanced Colour gamut... when planning out your video distribution.

Zone Capabilities is going to be a big headache where you have a mix of Source and Display capabilities - EDID and HDCP force the system to drop down to the lowest common denominator (often 1080p with 2.0 audio).

Audio is usually overlooked to - you need to plan out if you are having the same capabilities in all Zones or a mix of Surround Sound and Stereo (TV Only) Zones.

Where you have a mix of Source and Zone capabilities which include the requirements for the likes of the upcoming Ultra HD Blu-ray you may be best to plan around a mix of Dedicated Sources (used in the primary Zone only) plus Whole House Sources (Distributed via a Matrix).

Joe

8. Austin_Yeahbaby

Austin_Yeahbaby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Thanks both, HDC Dee the 8 x 8 seems great but don't really need 8 and the £6k is a non starter, any idea if the 4 x 8 will come out with POE at any point?

Joe, plan would be a mix of 1080p and 4k sources

9. Member 319784

Member 319784

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +240
    @Austin_Yeahbaby heya, hmmm so.... in terms of 4 x 8 with 4K support and PoE, our new mHub 4K 4x4 can actually support four sources on up to eight screens via 4 mirrored outputs on the chassis.

So essentially you'd connect four TVs via Cat 5 e / 6 cabling ( we recommend Cat 6 with our systems ) and then the other four TVs would be connected to the mHub using High Speed HDMI cables with Ethernet. Downside: this isn't really classed a "true" matrix, in so far as the TV connected to HDMI loop out one will mirror the source content that is being output to Cat output 1. So if you were watching eastenders on Iplayer on the TV connected Cat output 1, the TV located to HDMI output one would also be watching eastenders on Iplayer. This does however let all eight TVs watch all four sources. The mHub 4K 4x4 supports PoE, so now power supplies needed for display locations. However, IR control via this is type of set up is very very messy... it involves using additional extenders to daisy chain IR and ultimately it's not something we'd recommend. Have you thought about using a control system at all? As Joe mentions, audio is also a really important thing to think about when purchasing a matrix, do you have an AVRs in your set up? Whilst the price tag for 8x8s are a lot higher we'd recommend investing in this size of matrix (as you really need those eight outputs)... or a 4x8 (though we don't currently have this size in stock). If you're free today and want to chat through your options call 01684 576 348 or reach us on here.

10. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,424
    'plan would be a mix of 1080p and 4k sources' - again you have to better define what you mean by '4K', what may work for Streaming Media (2160p30 - current spec) may not work for future media streaming.

Ultra HD BD Players which will likely only work on a direct connection to a compatible Display unless all devices connected to your Matrix are fully compatible with Ultra HD BD.

Mirrored Outputs - are tempting from a budget point of view but become annoying once you are used to the flexibility of a Matrix.

Audio - what is the plan?

Joe

11. Austin_Yeahbaby

Austin_Yeahbaby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Joe, I agree on the mirrored hdmi zones, maybe good for 1 or 2 but not half the house.

HDC Dee, it looks like I would "compromise" the 4k for a good 8 way distribution including POH until the costs come down.

the 4x8 is the only unit that doesn't offer poh, any thoights on if this is something that will come to market soon?

12. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
  13. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,424
    Matrix - a 4x8 with PoH and decent IR Routing to cater for 1080p is the most stable and likely 'affordable' solution for now.

Would still like to understand your systems audio capabilities - that can be key to planning out Matrix integration.

Joe

14. AidenL

AidenL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,430
    Just butting in here - right now, today, it's fair to say, if any one display in the system is 1080, or stereo, then a Matrix will output the lowes resolution video and audio to all sources being watched at the same time?

It is beginning to seem to me as if a 1080 capable matrix will be all any of us need until absolutely every display at home is true 4K compatible?

15. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    Yep that's correct

16. AidenL

AidenL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,430
    Thanks Seb.

And the ideal solution then, is 4K UHD source direct to, say, a projector, and use the matrix outputs to the smaller displays around the house. I really don't see the point of 4K on displays under 40" myself!

Ok, now I need a 'cheap' 4x4 2k hub then, I'd even settle for a display or ex demo, as it's going in a rack......

17. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    Can help with that drop me a PM

18. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,424
    You have various options in terms of Source resolution/refresh rate audio capabilities and how that is managed via a Matrix.

Where you have a mix of capabilities you either set and lock the Source to a Video and Audio signal all Displays/Zones support, you aim for the Source to 'on the fly' adjust itself to suit the particular combination of capabilities it sees depending on which Zone(s) it is routed to or you provide the ability for the viewer to manually adjust the Source to optimise it for a particular Zone and disregard viewing the Source in other Zones for that viewing session.

Which of the above suits your installation/system usage and which options a particular Matrix offers will vary widely.

I doubt many folk will have a house with support for UHD, HDR, HDCP 2.2, .'Height' audio channels... in all Zones.

For many folk a Matrix is used to Distribute 1080i/p with 2.0 audio around a home and reliable Routed IR, quick switching between Sources, non-blinking between connected Zones, PoC, quick startup... are all far more important than half baked support for New features which are only relevant (if at all) in one main Zone in the house.

Joe