Recommend a HD TV for an OAP

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Quartz, Sep 21, 2007.

1. Quartz

Quartz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    We need to get my aunt a new TV. She's 83, little short-term memory, and not active. Viewing will be Freeview, but she's in range of Crystal Palce so should pick up HD broadcasts. She'll also watch DVDs and later HD / BD disks when players come down in price to mainstream levels.

I know that there are many suitable TVs out there but I'm particularly interested in the simplicity of the control systems and the ease of use of the remotes.

What do you recommend?

2. bigtim

bigtim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    1. She won't be getting any HD from crystal palace as none is being transmitted anymore. If it were she'd need to be handy with hi-spec PCs, I'm guessing not.
    2. Does she really need HD and all the complexity? A half decent plasma or LCD with built in freeview and a one-for-all replacement remote to just change the channel up down and the volume should suffice (after you've down the channel tunning and reordered them for her).

Panasonic 37px70 perhaps? or, if smaller needed, a Sony 32s3000.

3. Quartz

Quartz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    1. Oh pooh.

2. No, she doesn't really need HD right now, but I expect that BD / HD will be mainstream late next year and it seems foolish to buy twice.

4. grahammills

grahammills
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi have a Samsung LE40M86 and it is a great set for the price.

It has nice chunky volume, channel, power buttons etc and the epg is quite easy to use. Also the is a light button that lights up those buttons.

I would recommend the the LE32M87 as it is 100hz and has a good picture (1080p) and is a good price.
    http://www.hdprices.co.uk/item/samsung-le32m87bd-100hz-32-full-hd-lcd-tv.html

The Sony 32D3000 is a good set too but its only a 720p and its more expensive.
    http://www.hdprices.co.uk/item/sony-kdl-32d3000-hd-ready-32-d3000-bravia-lcd.html

I would go for the Samsung :thumbsup:

5. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,067
    At the risk of sounding like a total [CENSORED], I have to ask: if she's 83 and already suffering from memory loss, are you sure that her eyesight is good enough to justify investing in HD at all? Many young people with good eyesight make the mistake of buying small HD screens and then sitting far enough away from them that it doesn't actually look any better than SD would because even young eyes are incapable of resolving any more detail than SD at that range.

For example, on a 32" screen, a normal person cannot see more than SD resolution at a viewing distance of 10 or 11 feet.

6. Quartz

Quartz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    It's a good question, but she does enjoy her TV, and there's little wrong with her sight that hasn't been corrected with glasses.And the Samsung displays look most interesting.