• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.
  • Black Friday Deals
    Visit our Black Friday page for our frequently updated, hand picked deals on TVs and other tech.

Recommend a graphics card PCI-E

GaryMo

My current GFX card is causing problems and needs replacing.

Could you please recommend a new card to work with my existing Windows XP though soon to be Windows 7?

I'm not a gamer so am not looking for anything more than £100, ideally less.

My current card which did me fine is a Gainward 8500GT PCI-E 256MB DDR3

How about:

Gainward nVidia 9500GT 512MB Passive Cooling Graphics Card TV/DVI/HDTV for £41.34?

Last edited:

EliteAV

My current GFX card is causing problems and needs replacing.

Could you please recommend a new card to work with my existing Windows XP though soon to be Windows 7?

I'm not a gamer so am not looking for anything more than £100, ideally less.

My current card which did me fine is a Gainward 8500GT PCI-E 256MB DDR3

How about:

Gainward nVidia 9500GT 512MB Passive Cooling Graphics Card TV/DVI/HDTV for £41.34?

GaryMo - Just out of interest, what is the problem you are having with your current 8500GT card?

I have an 8500GT card that I was using under Vista and now Windows 7. I cant remember the manufacturer, but the key differences between manufacturers (for cards with the same Nvidia chipset) are form factor (passive or fan cooled) and the connectors - dual HDMI, HDMI+VGA etc.

Your £100 budget is very generous! If you arent interested in games, you dont need to spend more than about £35-45 and even at that budget, the cards come with more on board graphics memory than you would ever need! For me as my graphics card is in a media PC, low noise was a key requirement so a passive card was a must.

I am not familiar with the Gainward 9500GT you have suggested but this looks like a reasonable choice (being passive). However, do you have your PC connected to an LCD monitor or an LCD TV? If the latter, it wont have a DVI connector so you will need an DVI-HDMI adapter.

There was a good article in PC Pro a couple of months back when they tested a range of graphics cards for different purposes (games, media centre etc) and from memory they recommend 2 Nvidia and ATI based cards that were about £40. Have a look at the PC Pro website.

EliteAV

My current card is making a racket, coming from the onboard fan.
After a brief look around I can see that £100 is way OTT and ~£40 would be more appropriate for my needs. Passive cooling would also be a requirement considering my current problem!

I use a 22" LCD monitor with DVI connection.

This is the card that I was looking at:

Gainward nVidia 9500GT 512MB Passive Cooling Graphics Card TV/DVI/HDTV - Aria Technology

Looks like a good choice - Although that site says that the card has DVI & HDMI, it isnt clear from the picture but this is confirmed on the Gainward site: Gainward 9500GT 512MB so you are reasonably future proofed (as much as you ever can be with PC technology:))

I noticed on the Gainward homepage that they have a new GTX series model with 1792MB of RAM - unbelievable!

Clunk

I've just seen a Gainward 9400GT 512MB at £28.07 - seems a real bargain for my needs!

https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Com...d+9400GT+512MB+Graphics+Card+?productId=37122

Yup, that's still fine for your needs if you're not gaming. However, as you've said noise is important to you I would suggest giving Aria a call just to confirm that their current stock is passively cooled (as per the picture). The pictures are not always accurate, and the listed spec doesn't mention whether it's passively cooled, so best to be sure before you buy.

GaryMo

I went for the 1MB version from Scan (1MB 9400GT) for £37.94

It was on the Today Only deal, now expired. Ill be collecting it later so I'll check before I leave that it's passive cooled :thumbsup:

The 512MB version from Aria wouldn't have been too far off that price after postage plus there would be a few days wait :boring:

Clunk

I went for the 1MB version from Scan (1MB 9400GT) for £37.94

It was on the Today Only deal, now expired. Ill be collecting it later so I'll check before I leave that it's passive cooled :thumbsup:

The 512MB version from Aria wouldn't have been too far off that price after postage plus there would be a few days wait :boring:
Ah fair enough - hope it's a passive one then for you.

As EiteAV mentioned above, mind - with a card of this level you won't see a difference between a 512MB and a 1GB version. The additional memory is just a gimmick really, and just there to get uninformed consumers to part with extra cash for no reason because they think it will serve them better.

If you've picked it up for about the same price as the 512MB version though, good for you :).

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom