Recommend a good netwok media streamer for subtitles plz..

Discussion in 'Video Streaming Boxes & Services' started by moggsy, Feb 20, 2014.

1. moggsy

moggsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hi all

I've got all my BR & DVD's etc ripped into (mainly) MKV's on my PC, and mirrored onto my Synology NAS which I stream over 500mbps Homeplugs. Generally, everything's hunky-dorey with my set up but my problem comes when I need to see subtitles...my LG PK590 TV doesn't like them streamed it seems.

Take Apocalypto. I've had it for ages, but decided to finally watch it recently. Knowing full well it was all in a foreign language, I might struggle with it. Sure enough, even though the movie played smoothly, the external subs I'd ripped were of the idx/sub format (named exactly the same as the movie) but when I tried to enable subs on the TV, the option was greyed out! In fact, it seems the TV doesn't support that format because none of my movies with idx/sub will display subtitles - even locally off a USB flash drive!

I've found that subs of the srt type WILL play off a flash drive....but not streamed. I enabled the transcoding function on my Mezzmo server to convert on the fly to a suitable format for my TV, but the stream was jerky and un-watchable due (I assume) to my CPU not being up to the task of transcoding and streaming at the same time :(

So for any easy life, I'm looking for a media player with network capability, that will play all the usual formats and be able to display the common subtitles when required. I've been reading a bit on the WDTV Play but have found mixed opinions, so not too sure now.

What are my other options for what I want? Not bothered about YouTube apps and the like, just need it as a rock solid streaming player for under 70 or 80 quid!

Thanks for any info/advice...

2. Techflaws

Techflaws

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    There are no mixed opinions about the WDTV's subtitle capabilities, only clueless people. The WDTV Live Streaming plays embedded and external PGS, VobSub, SRT, (rudimentary) ASS locally and from network share. It plays embedded SRT from a media server (saw it a friend's house, can't be bothered to set up my own and test more formats). It does not play MP4s with embedded timed text.

3. bubblegum57

bubblegum57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +310
    Suggestion, use Mkvmerge to remux movies with subs. Go to subscene to get the subs, Mkvmerge will imbed them.