• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Recommend a good inexpensive video card to replace old one

Dm88

Novice Member
My computer that I built 10 years ago with an i5-2500 at 3.3 GHz is still plenty fast but I have a Ge Force GT 430 and the max resolution it supports is 1920x1080. I just got an ultrawide monitor with a 3440x1400 resolution and want to upgrade the video card to support that resolution. I don't play any games so I don't need a high powered video card, just something better than I have now. Can I get something better than I have now for around $50 or so? I suppose I can go up to $100 if it really makes a difference.

next010

Distinguished Member
For 3440x1400 I think you may need a Displayport or HDMI 2.0 connection for 60Hz output.

Also some more recent GPU's are no longer compatible with older PC's as they no longer support legacy bios modes. Though its possible this is higher end models (some feature a bios toggle).

Take a look at this GeForce GT1030 it has both Displayport 1.4 and HDMI 2.0, this is not too common on the cheaper cards.

Dm88

Novice Member
I have an ASUS P8P67 PRO motherboard if that helps determine if this will work. Also, I am using an HDMI KVM switch to share the monitor with a work laptop as well so I will be using the HDMI port. Will that card work with this motherboard and is it a big improvement over what i have? Thanks.

next010

Distinguished Member
I have an ASUS P8P67 PRO motherboard if that helps determine if this will work. Also, I am using an HDMI KVM switch to share the monitor with a work laptop as well so I will be using the HDMI port. Will that card work with this motherboard and is it a big improvement over what i have? Thanks.

I cannot say if it will work or not.

If your KVM switch is HDMI 2.0 based then that should be fine, if it is HDMI 1.x based you may run into problems outputting 3440x1400 at 60hz.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom