Recommend a good AV Speaker

checksum

Standard Member
Hi All,

My old VideoLogic DigiTheatre DTS system has finally bought the farm and I need to find a suitable replacement with HDMI inputs and stuff..

I need some recommendations for using it with my M86 samsung 1080p LCD TV mainly but it would be nice if I could also plug in my PS3 / Xbox360 / Wii / PC etc.

I am looking in the region of 200 to 400 pounds, not sure if a component system would be better or an all in one system like the digitheatre.

Thanks in advance! :)

Checksum

davepuma

Distinguished Member
I would avoid an all-in-one system and go with separates. That said, there are some pretty good all-in-one 'type' systems around from the likes of Sony. As you have a PS3, I would look for a system that can accept LPCM audio over HDMI to benefit from HD audio. The Sony HT-SF1300 can do it and comes as a package with amplifier and speakers. Otherwise go with separates. There have been numerous threads on this of late, so do a search but the main contenders are:

1. Onkyo 605 (2:1 HDMI and HD audio decoding on board, upconverts to HDMI)
  2. Onkyo 606 (updated version of 605. More HDMI inputs (4) and upscaling)
  3. Marantz SR4002 (2:1 HDMI LPCM audio over HDMI, upconversion to component)
  4. Denon 1908 (2:1 HDMI and LPCM audio over HDMI, upconversion to HDMI)
  5. Sony 910 (3:1 HDMI and LPCM audio over HDMI, upconversion to HDMI)
  6. Yamaha 761 (2:1 HDMI and LPCM audio over HDMI, upconversion to component)

You don't need HD audio decoding on board. The new Yamaha 763 has HD this feature and is out now but above your budget. The new Sony 820/920 models and the new Pioneer VSX-1018 will also feature HD audio decoding. Prices and release dates are not yet known AFAIK.

Then add a set of budget speakers such as Jamo HCS5 A102 or Tannoy EFX etc. and you should have a pretty sweet sounding system and have a few quid left over for cables.

checksum

Standard Member
Thanks davepuma, that's exactly the info I need :)

Cheers

Checksum

I would avoid an all-in-one system and go with separates. That said, there are some pretty good all-in-one 'type' systems around from the likes of Sony. As you have a PS3, I would look for a system that can accept LPCM audio over HDMI to benefit from HD audio. The Sony HT-SF1300 can do it and comes as a package with amplifier and speakers. Otherwise go with separates. There have been numerous threads on this of late, so do a search but the main contenders are:

1. Onkyo 605 (2:1 HDMI and HD audio decoding on board, upconverts to HDMI)
  2. Onkyo 606 (updated version of 605. More HDMI inputs (4) and upscaling)
  3. Marantz SR4002 (2:1 HDMI LPCM audio over HDMI, upconversion to component)
  4. Denon 1908 (2:1 HDMI and LPCM audio over HDMI, upconversion to HDMI)
  5. Sony 910 (3:1 HDMI and LPCM audio over HDMI, upconversion to HDMI)
  6. Yamaha 761 (2:1 HDMI and LPCM audio over HDMI, upconversion to component)

You don't need HD audio decoding on board. The new Yamaha 763 has HD this feature and is out now but above your budget. The new Sony 820/920 models and the new Pioneer VSX-1018 will also feature HD audio decoding. Prices and release dates are not yet known AFAIK.

Then add a set of budget speakers such as Jamo HCS5 A102 or Tannoy EFX etc. and you should have a pretty sweet sounding system and have a few quid left over for cables.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom