Recommend a Garden Strimmer

johnny70

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Moved to a rental property a few weeks ago, the garden is a mess, lots of weeds, some (long) grass. Needs a real trim before we can get started on making it semi nice. Garden is small ish.

So could you recommend a decent Strimmer please, prefer Electric as I'm not wanting petrol if I can help it.

I've got a cordless Bosch strimmer, which works really well.

I bloody hate leads, which my mower has. They always, always get tangled.

I hate leads as well. Especially for a strimmer. I gave mine away after two uses and bought a ryobi four stroke petrol one. The person I gave it away to has also given my electric away :)

It was a Bosch it did do the strimmering just fine, avoiding the cable is a right pain in the backside as is moving the lead around the garden.

The Bosch 30-36 LI is a beast but might be overkill. It's the one I'm going to get next.
I've got one of the older Bosch ones with the ni-cad batteries that is decent but think all the current ones have lithium ion batteries now so no point giving my model number. Any of the Bosch cordless ones should be fine.

It might be worth hiring a heavy duty one if you've got some tough vegetation to get through. In my experience normal models tend to jam frequently if you use them for more than light clearance and grass edging.

I use a Ryobi cordless strimmer...

...but if your garden is severely overgrown, a Ryobi cordless brush cutter/strimmer might be more appropriate.

A cordless electric is probably fine for the occasional trim, but not to tackle an overgrown mess. Would you consider hiring a proper brush cutter (petrol) to hack it all down and then invest in an electric (corded or cordless) to keep it tidy?

The 36v Bosch I mentioned above is a beast. I used one at work the other day.
I don't suppose you know if the batteries are interchangeable with other Bosch tools do you? I know some brands are keen on the "one for all" approach, and I have two from my Bosch drill...

Probably a different size for drills and strimmers. I could try and find out if you want.

I have the titan strimmer from screwfix and it's working great 2yrs on. Came with a hedge trimmer attachment and I just bought the mini chainsaw attachment for it. If it breaks I'll deff buy another for the money :)

I don't suppose you know if the batteries are interchangeable with other Bosch tools do you? I know some brands are keen on the "one for all" approach, and I have two from my Bosch drill...

Probably a different size for drills and strimmers. I could try and find out if you want.

The 36V batteries are for there heavy duty lawn mowers, chain saws and strimmers. I suspect your drill batteries are 18V like mine and although they do do a strimmer that takes the 18V batterry it's for light duties only and uses bespoke (and expensive) plastic blades, rather than standard nylon cord.

see here: BOSCH Genuine Rotak Battery (36V-Li, 4.0Ah) (+53% More Runtime) (To Fit: All Bosch Cordless 36V-Li Garden Tools - View the List Below) c/w Pair of Rotak Gardening Gloves + Cadbury Chocolate Bar: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Saved me a job, thanks IG! :)

I have the 18v strimmer with plastic blades. It fairly decent but won't do anything hardcore.

The 36V batteries are for there heavy duty lawn mowers, chain saws and strimmers. I suspect your drill batteries are 18V like mine and although they do do a strimmer that takes the 18V batterry it's for light duties only and uses bespoke (and expensive) plastic blades, rather than standard nylon cord.

see here: BOSCH Genuine Rotak Battery (36V-Li, 4.0Ah) (+53% More Runtime) (To Fit: All Bosch Cordless 36V-Li Garden Tools - View the List Below) c/w Pair of Rotak Gardening Gloves + Cadbury Chocolate Bar: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

Saved me a job, thanks IG! :)

I have the 18v strimmer with plastic blades. It fairly decent but won't do anything hardcore.

Yes, 18v indeed - and that's all I need really so thanks for that - "Power 4 All" is their branding and it looks spot on. I'm in!

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Dewalt flexvolt :thumbsup:

I think he was sorted out in July 2017 :D

Are people bored with current threads or something. I might just make something up to spice things up. Now let me see...………………………………………………….. :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom