Recommend a fast Freeview HD box

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by darudey, Jul 19, 2015.

1. darudey

darudey
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello, can anyone help recommend a good Freeview HD box? it doesn't need to have smart features or recording capabilities (although at the right price, it would be a bonus). I build websites, and the demands from the client are is must respond fast. So I been used to web pages refreshing in less than 1 second.

I recently bought a new Philips 50" TV (2014 model) from Amazon, and the EPG is sooooo slow, delayed reactions and choppy menu refreshes. The animations makes it slower. I could spend more than a minute just to page between from channel 1 to channel 100 on the EPG. In today's world, it should be as quick and smooth as swiping through icons on your smart phone.

Looking to spend no more than 70 pounds.

2. Rodders53

Rodders53

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +963
    If client wants a Freeview box then tell client to choose said box... Don't get involved in supplying them a service (this box) you are not expert in... It will probably only come back to bite you later if you chose to do so.

IF you still want some advice then a bit of background as to preciesely what your client wants this box for and to display on may help...
    Remind them they'll need a TV Licence, too. http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/business-and-organisations

NB
    Things like the EPG and digital text are transmitted on a carousel system so take quite a long time to be acquired completely from off/standby... Nothing can hurry that process, unless the makers store the old data in memory when the device is off. Similarly changing channels often means retuning and receiving, then decoding, the data to display a picture and sound... which will take a finite time...

3. darudey

darudey
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Rodders, but I think you mid-understood me with my "client's demand". I said, I build websites for my clients, and my clients demand fast pages when I build websites for them... so as I'm used to building and delivering quick user-experience, I have the same expectation with my modern TV - in this day and age, I expect quick menus and channels. I remember my Philips TV back in 1995, and the menus and channel switching was instant. My 2014 Philips TV is terribly slow!

My client doesn't want a TV or a Freeview HD box. I'm after one myself.

Based on what you said, it sounds like all digital EPGs are slow?

4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,208
    Depends on how you move between time slots and channel numbers. Without any idea as to which platform you are basing this on how can anyone comment.

The earlier boxes like the HDR FOX T2 (Freeview) and the Foxsat-HDR (Freesat) have a web based third party interface that would seem to perfectly match your requirements. (Includes a customisable channel, view etc).

Other than that on Humax boxes there a number of ways of moving in time and between channels rapidly.

Time

Two shortcut keys, scroll time one screen at a time, the other 24 hrs at a time.

Channels

Two ways

One key scrolls a full screen at a time.

Inputting a channel number from the remote jumps directly to the epg entry for that channel at the current time.

Take the freesat epg on a Foxsat-HDR. The epg is delivered in two ways.

Every channel on the epg has the data delivered like Freeview on a round robin, this updates the cached epg in the background.

A whole new epg can be delivered by pressing guide (this requires tuner 1 to be free to access the freesat home transponder), this takes about 30 seconds. The cached epg which is near certain to be up to date is displayed by pressing the schedule button and then red (this is automatic if tuner 1 is recording).

5. TJT1

TJT1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,141
    Except for speed. Both wonderful additions to T2 and Foxsat, but not exactly 'lightning fast' as the OP wants.

6. A1944

A1944

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    Don't forget that if you are changing channels using the numbers, you will get the fastest response by inputting a 3 digit number eg. "001" (assuming the box will let you do that).

If you just put in "1", it will wait a bit for you to input one or two more digits (eg. for "10" or "130") before it decides to change.

7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,208
    If you press OK after the channel number a Humax box will change channel instantly. The Webif for the Foxsat has a remote control you can add channel shortcut icons to. Clicking on these goes directly to the channel when viewing and if I remember rightly also jumps straight to the channel epg line if the epg is on screen.

8. Rodders53

Rodders53

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +963
    @OP
    There are few stb only devices out there. Some will be available in the better shops to try/demo. Some will be variations on the same Vestel-brand hardware (supermarket own brands, Goodmans etc.,.).

I doubt many will have the lightning fast speed you want as the processors used inside and storage memory are built (down) to the price point of sale.
    Recently released variants may be better than older ones.
    Smart ones are more likely to be speedy than non-smart (as they have to be able to run the internet web-based services) and more likely to have additional memory inside.

Virtually new Hauwei You View boxes can be found very cheap off eBay as they have been given away for free in the past. Humax no longer seem to make Freeview set top boxes (only pvrs).

To be frank, I very, very seldom use the EPG on my TV and TalkTalk You View set top boxes. I use the EPG on my Foxsat-HDR pvr to program in recordings of programmes I add (to my existing series-linked recordings in the pvr's schedule) once or twice a week at most... thus EPG speed is not a feature I want or need.

Internet TV listings magazines Radio Times | TV listings guide provide an source of finding what is on and when on what TV channel and can be viewed on a PC screen, tablet or phone... where the device's processor and internet connection speed will have a similar influence on how responsive the displayed data is to user input control.

9. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,154
    Was that an analogue TV back in '95?

If so, there are some discrete processes in digital signal tuning and decoding processing that will always mean it will be slower than analogue switching.

10. darudey

darudey
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks all, with the EPG, I only use it to check what's on 'Now and next', I don't tend to check TV listings for the day. I'm considering a YouView box, but I'll give the TV24 Android app a go, and use the remote to go to the direct channel.

11. darudey

darudey
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, good ol' Analogue :) tbh, I do expect a few seconds delay in loading/viewing the digital channel, but my Philips TV overall is just painfully laggy, even accessing the menu to change TV settings is slow.

12. darudey

darudey
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I went with your suggestion Rodders53, a second hand BT YouView box, a T2100. Its brilliant, quick to naviagte through the menus, fast to browse and page through the EPG. When connected to the internet, the information appears instantly, with only delays loading all channel logos. It's a shame manufacturers can't / don't install similar tuners / PVR like this in all modern TVs.