Recommend a DVD recorder

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Darkstar_surfer, Mar 14, 2006.

1. Darkstar_surfer

Darkstar_surfer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +200
    Advice needed quickly, I have been searching for an idea for the wife's birthday and was considering a DVD recorder. She has been going on about transferring all her video's to DVD's, wedding and holidays etc. This would give her the means to do it herself. Unfortunately her birthday is next week so if I go down this path then I don't have much time. I was thinking of walking in to Richersounds and letting them recommend a player. I don't want to spend more than £200 and would rather spend a lot less as this will be a bedroom player.

The Panasonic DMRES30 (DVD Recorder/VCR combi) at £199 seems to fit the bill.
    Playing DIV-X would be useful. The player will be driving a BUSH 28" 4:3 TV. A combi player is not a requirement, just an idea.

Any recommendation or shortfalls I have missed.

2. Sallydixon

Sallydixon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use the Philips DVDR 3305 and apart from one or two little annoying quirks with it (it can sometimes take a while to eject the disc) the quality is fantastic.
    Some DVD Recorders don't record in stereo from the tuner source, but the 3305 does.
    I originally bought a Cyberhome 1600 and took it back within a week, they replaced it, and a week later that went back, I have been told that they get taken back at the rate of about 5 a week at my local Asda so I wouldn't reccomend that model, although they are cheap (about £65.00 now).

The 3305 was £129.99 so for the price it isn't too bad at all, and I am happy with the recording quality, even on the 6 hour mode it is nice and clear.
    I have copied VCR tapes onto DVD with this machine and it works great, no loss in quality at all that I can see.

It really depends on how much you want to spend on a machine, but for under £150 the 3305 is definately worth a look at.

3. Darkstar_surfer

Darkstar_surfer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +200
    Thanks for that reply. :smashin:
    Can the philips 3305 play multi region and Div-X. I am still quite keen on the Panasonic combi as this may be a simpler system for my wife to understand with out my help. Although this is a good bit cheeper.

4. JohnDaddyo

JohnDaddyo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmm, not many replies??
    I was hoping to feed off this as well! I just this past week got the Panasonic DMR ES20 and I'm not too sure about it. Yes, it is easy but I've wasted two discs out of the 6 I've created and I'm hoping that is just a fluke. One of the discs that failed to finalize, I placed in my BOSE and had to take the BOSE apart because the disc would not eject! Yikes!!

I don't mind spending a bit more than what I did on the ES20 but I really don't need the built in VCR or hard drive. I mainly want to copy my 8mm
    tapes over. I have to say I'm not real impressed with the quality of the finished disc either. I'm using 2 hour speed and in the darker scenes there is a large amount of grain.
    As you pay more, is it just features, or does it actually produce better qualities I wonder???

5. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,242
    I don't think there are any recorders that will produce anything much better than the Panasonic to be honest. The only way you could try to improve the quality would be to us XP mode instead.
    What blanks discs are you using as using some cheap discs can lead to problems finalising etc.

6. JohnDaddyo

JohnDaddyo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply John.
    Actually I was using the FREE 10 pack that they gave at purchase :(
    Memorex DVD-R 16x. Maybe the 16x could be a problem?
    by the way I read on another forum there was a firmware upgrade for this machine? I checked Panasonic's site and couldn't see one??

7. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    It was listed on the DTG.org website and was for the ES20D and EH60D. I have the ES20D. All it seemed to do for mine was to put up a window saying new DVB channels detected each time I switched the machine on. Clicking on "OK" resulted in a search with no new channels found. I emailed Panasonic and they told me to switch off the auto search facility. Doesn't seem to have been of much use whatever it updated.
    Updates for the Panny PVR and freeview boxes are also made via this website otherwise Panasonic do not issue firmware upgrades for the UK machines. Only the USA (and probably Japanese models) seem to get this facility.

8. JohnDaddyo

JohnDaddyo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    maybe i went to the wrong dtg.org but it was a German site and my German is not good!
    I was wondering about the letter at the end of the model number??
    Mine, on the box says DMR -ES20P-S and DMR-ES20S "S" for silver I guess?

You say the firmware is available also on this site? I'll see if I can find it.

Thanks!

9. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Sorry - I meant to post the link :

http://www.dtg.org.uk/retailer/download_schedule.pl

Note that these updates are not continuous. They are given for approx 3 days or so then usually are given a repeat broadcast after a few months have elapsed.

You will not have missed much - these updates are normally regarding the Freeview services such as the epg - which downloads overnight around 0300. If you observe the machine at this time (and its on standby) you will see the letters "GUIDE" posted in the display.

Well I guess you can can all of the above. I just noted the suffix "P" on your ES20. This is the code letter for the USA and I have just noted that you are located in the USA, in which case, none of the Freeview, digital info and freeview epg guide applies to your model as you do not have this in the States. You should be able to obtain any firmware upgrades direct from Panasonic USA.

10. Darkstar_surfer

Darkstar_surfer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +200
    Despite my thread being hijacked I ran out of time and bought the Panasonic combo. I have to say with only an hour to play with it I have copied the first half of the wife's wedding video with no problems, apart from I meant to copy it all. Apparently XP quality only gives a 1 hour record not the 2 I needed.

If anyone is interested I will post more once I have had a better chance to explore its capabilites.

11. JohnDaddyo

JohnDaddyo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    not sure if I "hijacked" your thread (???) but for sure, post all
    you can about it!
    I own it and in three days I've copied 12 2 hour 8mm home movie tapes.
    I did loose three of the copies, not sure why, but...

12. JohnDaddyo

JohnDaddyo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

is there a obvious "best" blank that one should use??