Recommend a DVD authoring program

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by pablo99, Jan 5, 2007.

1. pablo99

pablo99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Just bought a laptop with MCE running on it.

Never had a DVD writer before and now I want to make DVDs. Nothing too fancy just put some videos I've downloaded and some I've shot on camera to DVD.

The laptop came with Sonic software but it is crap!! It has wasted three blank DVDs and about 6 hours of my life failing at the writing disc stage with an "unknown error". :mad:

I thought Nero was meant to be good but have now read some poor reviews.

What do others use? Something that will work for sure. I don't mind paying, Nero was gonna cost £50 before I read the bad reviews.

:lease: Help

Cheers

Pablo

2. DrPepper

DrPepper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
  3. zeus123

zeus123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I remember reading tutorials on vcdhelp about TMPGEnc... im sure it probably the best way but certainly not the easiest.
    I personally use vso's convertxtodvd to convery avi etc to dvd.

4. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,855
    Another vote for vso's convertxtodvd , by far the best I've found (and I've used many) very fast video to DVd conversion and excellent quality final output.

http://www.vso-software.fr/products/convert_x_to_dvd/

5. Paul Shirley

Paul Shirley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    The most likely problem is a poor DVD drive not the burning software. Check the drive type and google it. Drives from Nu Tech are very common, they're the devils drive, completely useless for writing and very choosy about which discs work. Its a case of finding which blank DVDs actually work on your specific drive, burning at a lower speed can help as well.

If you do have a dodgy DVD drive you may be able to upgrade the firmware to improve things but it will take some searching and the laptop manufacturer is unlikely to be much help. Or you could upgrade the drive or buy an external burner...

6. pablo99

pablo99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Thanks to Zeus123 and Uridium, I've tried the trial version of VSO ConvertX to DVD and was impressed. :thumbsup: It put more video footage on each disc and burned it much faster than I expected. Discs worked a treat on each DVD player they need to work on too. Off to buy the full version now and I understand it is even faster!!

Cheers for the recommendation.

The laptop is a Compaq C310 and features a LG GMA-4082N Super Multi Double-Layer Combo Drive. It seems a fine drive, burning CDs with iTunes no problem and playing CDs and DVDs perfectly too. The only problem was when using the Sonic software to burn discs!

So the Sonic stuff is uninstalled and the drive works perfectly with the ConvertX to DVD software I now have.

Cheers

Pablo