Recommend a DTC / OBDII Code reader

Simba

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi,

i am going to get a reader to check what the DTC code is that is coming up as the ESP light is coming on and want to potentially avoid a silly garage bill if its a false code.

i dont know about these readers so what about this, its not expensive but dont know what the difference is between models.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/CAN-Bus-Tro...1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1324026958&sr=1-1

what specifics should i look out for other than being able to reset the codes...

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Hi,

i am going to get a reader to check what the DTC code is that is coming up as the ESP light is coming on and want to potentially avoid a silly garage bill if its a false code.

i dont know about these readers so what about this, its not expensive but dont know what the difference is between models.

U480 CAN-Bus OBDII OBD2 EOBD Trouble Code Read Diagnose: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

what specifics should i look out for other than being able to reset the codes...

Unfortunately, those types of code reader will not read codes for the ESP/ABS system.
You will need someone with more sophisticated diagnostic capability.

From my experience the ESP light is triggered by a fault in the ABS system....the sensors for the ESP are the ABS sensors.

I've had three ESP faults to repair in the last few weeks...my own Peugeot 407, which was caused by n/s rear ABS sensor failed.

The other two were a VW Transporter and a Golf.

The Transporter was a difficult one, my code reader would not read the codes, but my mate's reader did, the fault was listed as rear ABS sensor, I changed both sensors but the codes wouldn't go away....turned out to be a wiring fault inside the van....a real pig.

The Golf turned out to be the ABS control unit faulty, apparently there are a lot of recorded problems with these control units on the Golfs, google it and you might be quite shocked at what you read....I was!

You really need to get yours looked at by someone with the correct diagnostic equipment, don't buy one of these cheap readers for diagnosing this problem....fine for a lot of other stuff, but not this.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
bummer....:(

well i got this after looking for ages:( Creader VI Launch Pioneer in the Automotive Aftermarket|Scan Tool|Creader|Wheel Aligner|Wheel Balancer|Tyre Changer|Lift|Auto Transmission|Fluid Changer|Testline|Engine Analyzer|Handtools| due to it will read most cars ect i was looking at the MaxiScan VAG405 but then i would be stuck with vag cars only if i swapped, at least with the Creader you can take it between vehicles, USB updates as well, also it displays codes and gives you what it means underneath the code :cool:

also 2 weeks after i got this the mothers car went a bit lumpy:(, i used this thing and it turned out if was a Maf issue which i replaced, the maf cost £27 off ebay.

but remember Readers are still only a guide at the end of the day.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom