Recommend a DSLR please

Pirate!!

Ex Member
Reaction score
Ahoy mateys!

OK. I'm toying with the idea of moving on from my Olympus E500 2 lens kit. To what I hear you say. I really have no idea, so I'm hoping to get recommendations to research in the up to £500 bracket.

Sony Alpha A100 is on the list

The Oly is fine, but I just think there may be more lens choices with another manufacturer. Live view would be nice as would OIS, but to 'get real' I'll look at anything suggested. If there is a best place to buy, that as well.

Make etc not an issue, but would be nice to have a couple of lenses as per the E500 or a half decent intermediate lens for the time being.

Happy Crimbo everyone . . bah humbug!

Ahoy!

Live view - do you mean preview on the LCD like a P&S? No such thing as a dSLR with live view.

Canon and Nikon will give you the most lens options.

Remember to set aside cash for a UV filter and memory and a bag.

The Canon 400D + 18-55mm kit lens is £443 from cameras2u (link above the main photo section forum).
The Nikon D70 is £448 body only from same site.

They are both great cameras.

If you want more lenses than that for the same money then check the classifieds/ebay. Or import from Hong Kong... ;)

Make sure you check out how the cameras feel to handle before you buy - pop into Jessops and have a go with them. Don't just decide based on web research!

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Ahoy there pirate! I hear that Olympus are looking to replace the E1 very soon...could you hold on for a month or so? No idea what the price will be though.

I love my Canon 30D but I reckon that either Canon or Nikon will suit you well. I'm still rather suspicious of Sony's entry into the market at the moment and I'd personally give them a couple more years to really prove that they are committed to the kit.

I'm still rather suspicious of Sony's entry into the market at the moment and I'd personally give them a couple more years to really prove that they are committed to the kit.

Ahoy BGB!

I'd thought of that, but seeing as they acquired Konica-Minolta's crown jewels in terms of lenses, technology etc etc, I'm thinking that the A100 is actually a KM with tweaks and improvements. There is also a firmware update for it. That said, it's just one on a list.

Anyway, thanks for the advice.

Well corrected, thanks. Very clever feature. I'm sure it will appeal to a lot of folk.

It does sound rather good, especially for macro or portrait work where you want everything pin sharp.

I have the Sony A100 and I am very pleased with it - the kit lenses aren't up to much though and I am looking to upgrade the 18-70 in the New Year. I can't comment on how the cam compares to the D40/D80 and ESO400D as they weren't around when I bought mine. See my flickr for example photos (see sig), the Cornwall pics are mainly with the A100.
BTW, the Sony A100 has started to plummet in price and is now available for £650 with the twin lens kit at www.warehouseexpress.com.

Ahoy mateys!

Well people, so far my quest for an image stabilised dSLR has for the time being been narrowed down to:

Pentax K100D
Sony Alpha A100

The Sony is a tad dearer than the Pentax and both have bundles of affordable lenses to choose from. The Pentax K10D is beyond my budget.

Any further recommendations welcomed.

Some possible bad news on the Sony:
There is a letter in this week's Amateur Photographer that states that it will only take Sony batteries! (at least, it "rejected" the third party one that he bought)

Rich

Sony... Will they ever learn???
Whatever happened to their own batteries after that disastrous recall fiasco
( and digical CCDs! which just failed without warning??:devil: )
Someone needs to tell them to wake up and sniff the roses: They are simply not on that premium brand pedestal that they fancy themselves to be,

There is a letter in this week's Amateur Photographer that states that it will only take Sony batteries! (at least, it "rejected" the third party one that he bought)

Rich

Mine works fine with my £6 ebay battery

Rich

I have the A100 and the stock battery is good. New Sony batteries are £50; OK expensive but you are not saving much by going third party IMO. I had a similar issue with a Panasonic video camera; Panasonic battery very good life, Jessops own brand replacement utter crap battery life.

I have the A100 and the stock battery is good. New Sony batteries are £50; OK expensive but you are not saving much by going third party IMO. I had a similar issue with a Panasonic video camera; Panasonic battery very good life, Jessops own brand replacement utter crap battery life.

Ahoy Strobe!

Well matey, I've won an eBay auction for an Alpha A100 with kit lens (£340,00 + £12.00 p&p) . Will advise once recieved, so am looking for a mid range telephoto lens circa 300mm. Any advice appreciated and welcomed in this regard. :smashin:

If there are any other 'Alpha-ites' out there, then feel free to chip in.

Ahoy Strobe!

Well matey, I've won an eBay auction for an Alpha A100 with kit lens (£340,00 + £12.00 p&p) . Will advise once recieved, so am looking for a mid range telephoto lens circa 300mm. Any advice appreciated and welcomed in this regard. :smashin:

If there are any other 'Alpha-ites' out there, then feel free to chip in.

dont suppose you're looking at selling your olympus are you?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom