Recommend a decent hdmi splitter...

Ashman UK

Hi all.

At the moment i have my ps3 connected via hdmi to my samsung LE32R51BDX hdtv and the picture of course is great.

On friday morning we are having skyhd installed and naturally i want to connect this via hdmi aswell.

I was wondering as i have been browsing on ebay and searching through various threads on this similar subject on these forums, is there any difference in the pq between the hdmi splitters that cost around £160 and the ones ive seen on ebay(a certain 2 port hdmi one i am looking at for around £30).

Im thinking, although i maybe wrong, that unlike an analogue signal it wouldnt degrade a digital signal that much using a "cheaper" hdmi splitter/box.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated thx.

p.s. i knew when i bought this hdtv a year ago i would soon need more than one hdmi port!.:D

holbrook99

i bought a cheap splitter on ebay for around £25 and my hdmi wires are from sainsburys for 99p, and my picture quality is amazing, and absolutley no diffrent to my cousins who is using £50 hdmi cables!!!!!

sucker!!!

dannius

I hate splitters, so personally I would consider connecting either the Sky HD box or the PS3 via component. It would be a much tidier solution and should provide just as good picture quality if you use a decent component cable.

tony79

just ordered an extremehd one from amazon. same size as a apple tv box with remote and 4 hdmi. 50 quid seems good to me and doesnt look too bad either

fizl

I have an Octava 4 in 1 out, which also switches audio (toslink/co ax). Wasn't cheap, but it autodetects perfectly and I haven't had a single problem with handshakes on any of my equipment so far (touch wood as my Tosh E1 should arrive on friday!)

Shaz

thfccambs

Banned

fizl

Thats the one - but I got my boyfriend in the Netherlands to order it for me from living cinema.nl - he got to pick it up form their warehouse which is about 10 mintues away from his house :)

Shaz

giz1495

Standard Member
I have the octava mentioned in a previous post. I have Sky HD, a Denon upscaling DVD player, and now my PS3 running through it. I have had no problems at all with it, i can honestly say i forget i have even got one as the auto detect works perfectly which means i can took it away behind my TV cabinet. I would recommend it to anyone, Giz1495.

Dan Walton

Same as that!
My Octavia works brilliantly for me, no need to fanny around pressing clunky switches to select your source, all done automaticaly, lovely job! :smashin:

PlexShaw

Agreed. Even I've ordered one now (I don't need it that soon, so I can afford to wait).

More info can be found here:

http://www.xtrememac.com/audio/av_cables/switcher/
Quick update:

Received the Xtrememac HDMI Switcher from Amazon this morning (as it is now in stock) and set it up with my Oppo 981HD DVD player and PS3. From my brief test, it seems to work without any issues whatsoever.

Result! :thumbsup:

RMGEE

I've been looking at one of these http://www.jvcgate.co.uk/

Its got 2 HDMI, 2 component, 2 optical inputs which would be very useful, plus the fact it has 5.1 surround sound.

Anyone know anything about it ? I can't find any reviews on it.

Rich.

tony79

My xtremehd switcher came on Friday. Have had all 4 ports in use at same time to test and no problems whatsoever!!!!!

amita

Joytech do one for £35 (Amazon) which has received a very favourable review from DVDTimes. It even comes with a remote control!

mooview

Standard Member
I Bought Joytech Switcher For £34.99, Can Take 3 Hdmi Inputs Its Remote Control And You Can Power It Via A Usb That Also Comes With It,
Your Sky Hd Box As A Usb At The Rear So No Need To Use Mains Lead.
I Have Tried Component And Would Say Hdmi Is A Lot Better On Ps3, Sky Looked Good Both.

Waynej

Distinguished Member
I've been looking at one of these http://www.jvcgate.co.uk/

Its got 2 HDMI, 2 component, 2 optical inputs which would be very useful, plus the fact it has 5.1 surround sound.

Anyone know anything about it ? I can't find any reviews on it.

Rich.

That's just the sort of thing I could do with actually, would have my PS3 and Xbox 360 hooked up via. HDMI and to be able to have both work with 5.1 without switching optical cables would certainly be more convenient.
I bet its a bloody expensive bit of kit though.

davidisom

I have a 4 port HDMI splitter that is surplus to requirement since purchase of RX-V2700. It is ATC Lab tested so guaranteed compatible with 1080p see it on ebay item no : 300106624637

Tony Hoyle

That's just the sort of thing I could do with actually, would have my PS3 and Xbox 360 hooked up via. HDMI and to be able to have both work with 5.1 without switching optical cables would certainly be more convenient.
I bet its a bloody expensive bit of kit though.

£265 apparently, however:

1. No mention of upscaling to HDMI or Composite to HDMI conversion, only passthrough.
2. No mention of HDMI Audio/LPCM.

In fact the following: http://www.jvcgate.co.uk/images/hdmi.jpg suggests it supports neither of these.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Disney+ confirms price increases coming in December
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Samsung unveils Galaxy Z Flip 4 and Fold 4 smartphones
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Movies Podcast: 8th August 2022
  • By Casimir Harlow