Question Recommend a decent 1080p projector

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by ndenbow, Oct 30, 2017.

1. ndenbow

ndenbow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I'm just building a garage conversion and I want to install a projector. I have never owned a projector before so I'm slowly going through all the information about setup etc. As usual there's a ton of information about which projector to choose. My main requirement will be films and Netflix/Amazon. The room I'm building is appox 7m x 3m.

I started out looking at budget projectors, such as the Epson TW5300/5350, but then got slowly sucked into looking at more expensive ones, as you do. I've also read the AVForums review of the Epson TW7300 and was intrigued at what I could get for a bit more money (£2100 for the TW7300 is more than a little, I admit :))

Are there a couple of models I should look at that are in between the two price points, for example £1000-1500? Are there any other questions I should be asking myself?

Best.

2. MLCinema

MLCinema

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Always nice to have the opportunity to create a dedicated cinema room. I started with a Benq W1070 DLP projector 3 years ago. I really wanted to get the Sony VW40 at the time but had to do other things in and around the house we just bought.

Great little machine at it's price point the Benq!. The thing with projection is that almost all projectors will look good in the beginning if you have little to no experience with projection. But at some point the contrast of the lower end models will bother you, especially if you have a light controlled room.

I also wanted to see how much use I would make of the room so choose to use a cheap projector to start with. My next projector however would be something like a JVC X5900. If I had bought the Sony VW40 I think the urge to upgrade would be smaller. I enjoy watching movies and sports on the big screen but really wish to make a step up in quality!

If you can stretch your budget to either the Sony VW45 or the Epson TW7300 you would be blown away I guess. The TW7300 will let you play UHD movies.

Good luck making your decision!

3. mikemag

mikemag
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,965
    The Epson 6700 retails at around £1300 and might be something you could try to get a demo of.

I’ve had my 45ES for a year now, and I know the Epson 7300 is highly rated, especially since it can play 4k discs, but my Sony has been a star performer for me in terms of sharpness, colour and motion handling.

4. ndenbow

ndenbow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I think the Sony and the 7300 compare similarly in price, around the £2100 point, maybe the Sony is a little lower at the moment.

The first comment about noticing the flaws quickly (contrast etc) is what led me to explore other options. The 7300 sounds nice, but I also need fixings and a screen, which is really going to stretch my budget.

I was also looking at the Epson 5650, but it's very new and I can't find any solid reviews as of yet. It retails at £899, which is a little high but expected for a new unit. The fixing for ceiling is another £200-ish.