1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

recommend a console friendly ADSL modem

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by richard plumb, Mar 12, 2003.

1. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,018
    So, PC world only sell USB ones (that I can see), and I'll need one with an ethernet out for console. I already have one for my PC, so I'll probably just buy another just for console (GC maybe but also PS2 when they go live with Socom etc)

But I need a recommendation for a cheap and small ADSL modem with ethernet socket.

2. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +932
    The way I understand it - and I may be wrong - is the x-box has got its "modem" built in and you plug it into a router.

effectivily its not a modem but a network card. The broadband connection comes into your house and you plug a router on the end. This router allows you to connect various devices - PCs, laptops, console to the outside world. This is slightly different to a network hub which alloows them to connect but not talk to the outside world. Some routers have built in firewalls, some need extra software - McAffee bundle one with thier antivirus, whereas NTL suggest ZoneAlarm.

You would have a USB network connection plugging into the router. Your x-box (or PS2) would plug into the router. You could even plug in a wireless connection for your laptop.

I think

3. Bonesy

Bonesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    think you might have the order wrong there Graham...

A modem turns digital signals into analogue, for journeys across our telephone network.

Therefore, at the wall socket, you probably first need an adsl filter.

- This splits the frequencies into DSL and normal analogue telephone - so it gives you two sockets, one as a DSL connection, one for your phone.

At the DSL socket, you need to plug in a DSL modem

- this turns digital signals from PCs etc, into analogue that can go across the PSTN

Now, the DSL modem will offer conversion into one of two types of connection.

- Into USB - a cheap, short distance connection, which can be found on many PCs and laptops, or

- Into Ethernet - really the best thing you can use if you have more than one device in the house, or is distances are greater than 5 feet.

Therefore, if you go for a ADSL/USB modem, plug it straight into your PC (or perhaps USB hub).

If you go for an ADSL/Enet modem, you can then either plug it straight into a PC, or if you have several devices, into an Etherenet Router/Hub.

The hub allows you to create an Ethernet LAN, a shared network where several Ethernet capable devices can be connected.
    (these devices might include the Xbox, which has Ethernet socket built-in, or a Wlan Access Point, for connecting to devices upstairs for example).

A router contains the intelligence that manages to sending of the devices requests out across the ADSL modem port, down the telephone line, and into the big bad world.

If you have several devices, that you want to conenct to the net, quite quickly, with good upgradability, it is best to go for Ethernet in your house..

Etherenet is a proper network protocol, and fast and robust, USB is more point-to-point cabling protocol.

Now, you can buy a combined ADSL/Ethernet modem/router/hub all in one device (benefit is one box, one mgmt interface).

Linksys make good, cheap boxes such as this, also DLink are in this game.

my set up, for example, is an Alcatel 510 (ADSL/Ethernet Modem/Router/Hub) with Xbox plugged into one of the ports, and a symbol WLAN plug into another port, talking to WLAN in my laptop.

Right, where did I explain this badly?

4. Bonesy

Bonesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Actually Graham, your explanation is better than mine :blush: :blush: :smashin:

5. Bonesy

Bonesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Also, if you go for an ethernet router at your end of the adsl line, you might want to ring your ISP first and check that they can handle it.

Some ISPs stipulate that if you've bought an ADSL/USB modem from them, that's all you can use.

also, go back into PC world, and ask to see what range of linksys they should stock, and you'll see a list of combined mode/hub/routers that Graham and I were referring to.

6. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a all in one single box DSL ethernet router/modem/gateway Netgear DG814- it works perfectly with Pipex, but some guys on the Netgear forum have had problems with certain other ISP's

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/equip,9

7. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +932
    if you go the cable route as opposed to adsl then on www.ntlworld.com they actually sell routers, which when you click on the link takes you to a dedicated linksys site for ntl users.