Question Recommend a CD player to go with Yamaha RN602 amp?

jon1889

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi, my current setup is Rega Planar 1 turntable, Yamaha RN602 amp, edwards audio phono stage and monitor audio bronze 1.

I’m after a CD player and willing to go to about £400 but would prefer cheaper!

I’ve seen lots speak highly of the marantz 6006 U.K.edition but some posts suggest it is better suited to things like jazz and maybe Denon is more suited to rock.

I’ve read the Yamaha cd-s300 is forgiving on CDs that might have damage and I guess this would be a good pairing with a Yamaha amp, but I can’t seem to find stock.

What CD player would people recommend to go with the RN602? The RN602 has a DAC so a CD transport would do too. It also streams and gas USB slots so paying for these features on a CD separate is overkill. I’ve looked at:

marantz 5005, 6006UK, 6007
Yamaha cd-s300
Denon DCD-600ne, 800NE
Rotel tribute cd11
Cambridge Audi axc25, axc35, cxc
Audio lab 6000 cdt

I would go for Yamaha if could find stock. Other than that I’m thinking Denon 600 or marantz 6006uk. Does anyone have experience of these with a RN602 and if so which would you recommend?

Buy the cheapest one you can find, even a dvd player with a digital out, plug it into Yamahas digital in, yamaha dac decides the sound quality

Can’t go wrong with this. First class player.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
I have owned the cd6006 and I own a Denon SACD player. The Marantz is a very good player and more than likely the best player you're likely to buy for under £500. If you want a Denon player to perform better than the 6006 then you should look at the DCD 1600 NE as anything below that player is unlikely to be better than the Marantz.

Is one player better at one genre than the other. No not really, the Marantz does tend to seem warmer with the Denon producing a brighter characteristic. The DCD 1600 will dig out more detail from a redbook than the Marantz and produce almost SACD quality from those well mastered and recorded discs. As that particular Denon is out of your budget by some margin just go ahead and get the Marantz.

Thanks for the replies. I’ve got an old DVD player tucked away. I’ll see if it has a digital out.
So the RN602 has a DAC making the CD player a transport. So would the marantz and a dvd/bluray player end up with similar results?

Thanks for the replies. I’ve got an old DVD player tucked away. I’ll see if it has a digital out.
So the RN602 has a DAC making the CD player a transport. So would the marantz and a dvd/bluray player end up with similar results?
Any player with a digital output can be used as a transport. That will give a you a choice of the DAC on the CD player via analogue or use the optical out and use the DAC on the Yamaha, which ever sounds best to you is the winner. With DVD or blu ray player you may not have the analogue outputs to be able to use it's DAC and will have to have an optical connection. Depends on the quality and make of the player.

Hi, my current setup is Rega Planar 1 turntable, Yamaha RN602 amp, edwards audio phono stage and monitor audio bronze 1.

I’ve seen lots speak highly of the marantz 6006 U.K.edition but some posts suggest it is better suited to things like jazz and maybe Denon is more suited to rock.

I’ve read the Yamaha cd-s300 is forgiving on CDs that might have damage and I guess this would be a good pairing with a Yamaha amp, but I can’t seem to find stock.

What CD player would people recommend to go with the RN602? The RN602 has a DAC so a CD transport would do too. It also streams and gas USB slots so paying for these features on a CD separate is overkill. I’ve looked at:

Yamaha cd-s300
Denon DCD-600ne, 800NE
Rotel tribute cd11
Audio lab 6000 cdt

I would go for Yamaha if could find stock. Other than that I’m thinking Denon 600 or marantz 6006uk. Does anyone have experience of these with a RN602 and if so which would you recommend?

I recently purchased the Yamaha CD-S300 Silver to accompany my R-N602 Silver from Amazon.de.

Altogether including postal and some extra weird custom fee's which is due to Brexit was £205 sterling. You can still obtain 2 year support through Amazon.de to.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Cheers. I was tempted but Couldn’t find stock. Peter Tyson said they were getting in.

I ended up going a marantz cd5005 and pleased with it

There isn't a CD Player to match the RN602, all CD Players, relative to compatibility, are the same. That is, any CD Player will work with any Amp.

Your list is pretty good, all good CD Players.

The Marantz 6006/6007 UK (£350 to £400) are top of the list for anyone who can't decide.

Typically Black or a pale Champagne Gold.

The Yamaha CD-S300 (£269) are hard to come by, near impossible in Silver, but possible in Black.

In Rotel, I would much rather have the Rotel CD14, though it is about £100 over budget. Still at £400 the CD11 should do a good job -

In Cambridge, the best is probably the CXC Player at £400. But in a pinch the AXC35 should be fine at £279.

I would not go lower than that unless your budget is desperate.

All the CD Player you listed are good, it is just a matter of how far you want to take it budget-wise, and how concerned you are with it aesthetically matching the rest of your equipment.

Yes, you can use a DVD Player assuming it has Digital Outputs or a good internal DAC. But you need a pretty good DCD Player. That is what I do, but I got mine at a bargain close out. I got a Harman Kardon Universal DVD 48 with a suggested retail of £450, but I got it on Ebay NEW for £150. Given that my budget was lean, I probably got the best player I could for the small money I paid.

The same is true of BuRay Players, most are universal Players, and as long as you have a Digital Out and can use your own DAC, that is also a low cost option. If you need a BluRay Player, or if you have a BluRay player, and want to save some money, that is certainly a workable option.

This isn't the highest (2nd highest in the Sony line up), but it is a pretty high end Sony BluRay Player -

Sony UBP-X800M2 4k, Universal Disc Player with HD Audio - £279 -

The Sony Player also has access to Video (and Audio) Streaming Services like Netflix, YouTube, Amazon Video and many more. So, that's a bonus if you need it.

As someone else pointed out, you can get the Yamaha CD-S300 in SILVER, if that is your preference, in the EU, though not sure about shipping costs.

Just a few thoughts.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited:

Yamaha cd-s300
Denon DCD-600ne, 800NE
Rotel tribute cd11
Audio lab 6000 cdt

Attachments

• 20231128_222807 1.jpg
    20231128_222807 1.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 17
Marantz cd6007 using the set up in the image I can add 4 usb sticks to play hi-res flac albums by pressing a button on the hub. Each stick only holds 32gb each, I have 4x 4 way push button hubs to save wear on the usb input on the marantz cd 6007usb player.

Attachments

• 20231128_222807 1.jpg
    20231128_222807 1.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 16

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom