1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommend a capture card

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by wynouk, Sep 5, 2003.

1. wynouk

wynouk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking for advice on buying a video capture card for my pc.
    I would like to connect my VHS video to my pc and record all my old home camcorder movies and then write to DVD and also connect my new Sony IP7 camcorder to it and also write my new home movies to DVD and maybe one that can also record and play back TV. Thanks

2. torrent

torrent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would recommend using a product such as Pinnacle Studio 8 (or the DV variant) which is a very capable home video editing package and well priced (from £73.98 inc VAT from www.riskfreeshop.co.uk). This will fulfill your requirements:

Input:
    - DV (requires IEEE 1394 port/card (Firewire) - included in DV version but both versions support DV)
    - Composite (so you can connect you VHS recorder)
    - S-Video (I think - surprised if it doesn't)
    - USB (e.g. Web cams, etc)

Output:
    - output to DV or Digital8 Camcorders (if they have required DV input port)
    - Video CD (VCD), Super Video CD (SVCD), & DVD
    - MPEG1 & 2, AVI, RealVideo, Windows Media Format

One thing I would say is to capture, if possible, from the original recording in DV (the IP7 has this output). This will result in a better quality final movie than if you capture in composite from your VHS recorder.

Here are some reviews on it:
    http://topcc.org/softwarereview/reviews/pinnaclestudio8.htm
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,574600,00.asp
    http://www.computervideo.net/nov02-2.html
    http://www.desktop-video-guide.com/pinnacle-studio-review.html

And of course the company's website: www.pinnaclesys.com

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    The IP7 has analogue inputs, so why not capture your old VHS by connecting the VCR to the camcorder. Depending on the cam (RTFM) you will be able to capture direct to the PC via firewire or you might need to record to MV tape and then capture to PC.
    All you will need is a cheaper firewire card (around £20 online) if not already installed on your PC and some editing software. If you have Windows XP then download the free upgrade of MS Movie Maker to MM2. This is a great starting point and will do all you need. If no XP then a firewire card & software costs from around £30.

Mark.

4. wynouk

wynouk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Sony IP7 is MicroMV format, can I still connect a normal VHS video player to the camera and record my old tapes to it then transfer from my Sony IP7 camera to pinnacle studio 8 to be recorded on to DVD??

5. JayX

JayX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    depending on the camera, it might be passthru. which means you connect the video to your analogue connections (which you'd use as outputs usually) enable Analogue > DV OUT and connect to the PC via firewire. some cameras you wont need to record on the tape, and the signal will just pass thru. the fact its micromv makes no difference.

i find capping this method is actually excellent quality, and full DV frame vhs caps look surprisingly good, and a lot better than a sub-£100 analogue capture card would. don't forget to deinterlace :)

6. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    Yes, it does have the analogue inputs enabled. Go direct to the PC or via tape depending on what your cam can do. As I said before RTFM :devil:

Mark.

7. lead

lead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    The IP7 is not a DV camera. Any software you use to edit footage will have to support the MMV format. As far as I know M$ Movie Maker does not. I think Pinnacle has (finally) introduced MMV support, but it is also a little hit and miss.

The IP7 is also very fussy about it's firewire cards. I will post a link to another forum that has user coments/recommendations on cards.

I use the inbuilt firewire port on my Audigy soundcard, but apparently I am very lucky, as most people cannot get these cards and the camera to work together

8. lead

lead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62