Recommend a budget turntable… Rega or Pro-Ject?

mefster

Standard Member
I’ve decided I would like a budget turntable set up. I have an old Cambridge Audio P70 amp with a built in phono stage. I’ve been looking at secondhand turntable options but I’m beginning to think that some of the more simple budget turntables may be a better option. I was thinking of a budget of around £200 but have some flexibility. I’m not worried about Bluetooth or USB connectivity and I’ll mainly be playing albums I don’t really need an automatic tone arm or speed change switch. I also can’t see myself spending hundreds to upgrade the cartridge in the future.

Ideally I’d like something that will look fairly simple, with the money going on best components for the price rather than extra features.

I had decided to go for the Pro-Ject Primary E but was talked out of it a little when talking to an assistant in a hifi shop, citing the fiddliness of the drive belt. An automatic Sony or Audio Technica was recommended. The LP120 is a little ‘DJ’ in appearance and not really what I had in mind.

I’m now thinking maybe a Rega Planar P1. Do you think this is a good option or would I be better spending a little more for the P2 or another option? Is second hand too risky? (May be able to get a Rega P3 for £300 but I’m not sure of the age)

I don’t know enough about turntables to know where the best value/quality lies!

silversurfer24v

I have just bought a Dual Cs 505-4 audiophile concept turntable, dated from the late 80's for £40, a new stylus and I fitted new rca plugs and I am over the moon with it, it's really got me into vinyl, I did a bit of browsing on vinyl engine website before buying to give me an idea of what to look for and check

mefster

Standard Member
I have just bought a Dual Cs 505-4 audiophile concept turntable, dated from the late 80's for £40, a new stylus and I fitted new rca plugs and I am over the moon with it, it's really got me into vinyl, I did a bit of browsing on vinyl engine website before buying to give me an idea of what to look for and check
Thanks for the heads up re: vinyl engine: I’d not found that resource. That’ll be another few days researching!
Much closer to what I originally intended: getting a classic bargain!
Any other good used turntables to look out for?

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom