Recommend a 5.2 Setup for <£8k

Jenz

So after nearly dying of Covid in Jan my Wifey and I have sold our current home to move to our "forever home". As part of the Sale the purchasers offered me decent money for my existing BatCave and kit. Therefore I have the opportunity to start from scratch.

My new room is not dedicated. I can have Atmos but ONLY via upfiring. I cannot have onwall or inwall. The L/R can be on stands or can be towers. They could also be on the Subs. The two rears will be on stands OR they could be towers. The Centre will be on an AV stand. Usage is 90% Movies/TV and 10% Music.

Any recommendations for LCR, Surrounds and 2x Subs that would come in less than £8K?

They will almost certainly be powered by a Processor and Power Amp (with a separate budget of £6k) that I have not chosen yet.

I will have one Arendal 1961 1S Sub that I am taking with me that I could use or sell on.

Solution
Sadly there isn´t any good looking stands for those 1723 S Monitors. :( Perhaps something with four metal tubes with meatier look (Atacama SLX type). 🤔 They so tall so look bit... special.
Even worse if you want stands for the 1723S surrounds :eek::laugh:

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Nope the whole lot is gone.

However I have £22k to spend.

£6k on TV Sony A90J.

£16k on Processor, Power Amps, 5.2 or 5.2.4 Speakers, AV Soul Media Unit, 2 Subs.

Do you necessarily need processor? Do some research outside of this forum also. Good receiver like example the MRX740 or 1140 if you need 15.2 processing - if not then 740 (11.2) cause the internal poweramps are identical. Perhaps adding 3ch poweramp for the LCR and powering the rest channels with Anthem could work fine. Of course you can go balls to walls with processor + 5-11ch poweramp, but is the money away then from speakers? You need to find good balance. Sometimes we see some ridiculous over spending on the electronics and then less for the speakers..

If considering M&K i would want to have that S150/MP150 LCR and then go little bit cheaper with the effect channels. You are doing "end game" purchase here. You want to be blown away for the hard earned cash. 750 -> 950 and expensive 150 range tripoles and then spend huge amount for the processor/amp. I don´t agree with this type of plan cause it makes less sense, but it´s your decision. :)

83" OLED. That is nice! I hope you can wait until black friday for best deal, unless someone is already doing some crazy price for you.

Upvote 0

Seriously Ltd

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
We design loudspeaker systems that work with the given room and available budget.
In a room like the OP’s, excellent room correction will be required as it will be a fairly live room and room treatments not particularly viable.
We do this as a professional company and have built/designed well over 200 cinema and media rooms plus acoustic work for the worlds leading commercial business including many music and studio facilities.
We have a good idea of what works and what doesn’t work.

Upvote 0

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
We design loudspeaker systems that work with the given room and available budget.
In a room like the OP’s, excellent room correction will be required as it will be a fairly live room and room treatments not particularly viable.
We do this as a professional company and have built/designed well over 200 cinema and media rooms plus acoustic work for the worlds leading commercial business including many music and studio facilities.
We have a good idea of what works and what doesn’t work.

I assume the excellent room correction is Lyngdorf unit. I have shown those bold claims of what Room Perfect claims to do some well known persons in the industry who also has built hundreds of cinema rooms and their view is very different, lot of the claims of RP is marketing talk which is understandable as you need to sell them. Even if it would be slightly better than Anthem/Arcam solution (no disagreement here) one needs to consider the speaker choice carefully. Spend 10k£ on receiver or 3-4k£ and can put more money in to better speakers. Decisions.

Upvote 0

Jenz

Do you necessarily need processor? Do some research outside of this forum also. Good receiver like example the MRX740 or 1140 if you need 15.2 processing - if not then 740 (11.2) cause the internal poweramps are identical. Perhaps adding 3ch poweramp for the LCR and powering the rest channels with Anthem could work fine. Of course you can go balls to walls with processor + 5-11ch poweramp, but is the money away then from speakers? You need to find good balance. Sometimes we see some ridiculous over spending on the electronics and then less for the speakers..

If considering M&K i would want to have that S150/MP150 LCR and then go little bit cheaper with the effect channels. You are doing "end game" purchase here. You want to be blown away for the hard earned cash. 750 -> 950 and expensive 150 range tripoles and then spend huge amount for the processor/amp. I don´t agree with this type of plan cause it makes less sense, but it´s your decision. :)

83" OLED. That is nice! I hope you can wait until black friday for best deal, unless someone is already doing some crazy price for you.
Thanks @Gasp3621 for the debate. I don’t have to have a processor. i still have Nad 778, Mrx 740, JBL, and Marantz SR8015 all on shortlist in my build thread. As well as the usual suspects of Amps and Processors. I probably won’t decide for the next few weeks.

Saying that a lot of the people here I follow all are fans of the processor/amp separates hence a slight desire to go that route after always having an AVR. Call it FOMO o_O

Upvote 0

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Thanks @Gasp3621 for the debate. I don’t have to have a processor. i still have Nad 778, Mrx 740, JBL, and Marantz SR8015 all on shortlist in my build thread. As well as the usual suspects of Amps and Processors. I probably won’t decide for the next few weeks.

Saying that a lot of the people here I follow all are fans of the processor/amp separates hence a slight desire to go that route after always having an AVR. Call it FOMO o_O

If you get the speakers you want then by all means. However if it`s eating too much speaker budget i would re-consider. You have so many good options... :)

Upvote 0

Saul Goodman

Distinguished Member
The LCR950THX have more output than the OP’s current LCR750THX which he is a already happy with.

The S150T tripoles use the same drivers as the 950’s and are a perfect match.

We have many clients who have replaced their Arendals with M&K. It’s horses for courses.

I've not heard of any forum member swapping from Arendal to MK, I understand not all your customers are members here though.

Upvote 0

DodgeTheViper

I've not heard of any forum member swapping from Arendal to MK, I understand not all your customers are members here though.
Nor me. In fact I havn’t come across one person who has done this, it’s most often the other way round.

Upvote 0

kbfern

Distinguished Member
Nor me either.

Upvote 0

Jenz

I really like my M&K's. I also really like the Arendal sound.

I have decided to take both of my Arendal Subs with me as I can leave an old cheap Sub in my setup that I remembered was in the garage :laugh:

Thanks for everyone's sterling advice. I am now also not going to bother putting any of my budget to upfiring Atmos. I am going to try and do that properly and professionally at some later date as many of you have suggested.

Upvote 0

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
@Jenz New Focal Aria K2 range introduced! And yes they also come with front grilles to "hide" the wild looking yellow drivers! 😄

Upvote 0
If it helps I have £16k in total for speakers and processor/amp.

The pics attached are my Arendal scenarios, but wondered what other options I should consider. i have heard the 1723 S’s and really like them. I really liked my MK’s also. Even took a look at Focal Chird 826-D’s.

Obviously I can adjust my budget overall as needed.

Maybe a Trinnov and 5 Kef Eggs :laugh:

I chose towers because I like the look of them and they will be in full view in my room. Towers are only slightly more expensive than 2 monitors plus stands. Make sense?

I will definitely have two subs. If I went down the 1723 S route it would be two 1723 1S’s. I personally don’t really enjoy really deep bass. It’s not for me. So tight fast 18hz and up is fine. Obviously I could consider putting a 1723 S monitor on top of each sub and save a bit.

I also mocked up the front wall with 1961 speakers. This is to scale. It shows my 83inch oled, 3 1961 lcr, and 2 1961 1S subs. It shows I have space.
First of all, well done on beating Covid.
Second of all, you have 16k to spunk on audio.
Thirdly of all, be my friend.

Upvote 0

DrH

Thanks @Gasp3621 I also have 5.04 based Focal Chora 826-D system in my list that was very well reviewed on AVForums as an option. The JBL's are interesting. The Revel's I'm not so sure.

I also priced up a Kef R5 setup with 2 pairs of R8A's and an R2C and that was coming up quite expensive. So more to consider.
Going with the 3 way R3’s would reduce the cost rather than the R5.
I have the the R3’s and the R2C.
They are polite speakers, non fatiguing,
I don’t think that anything is missing from them.

Upvote 0

Dobbyisfree

Hi @Jenz what's your status on your new room? Or can I find it somewhere else in another thread?

Upvote 0

Jenz

Hi @Jenz what's your status on your new room? Or can I find it somewhere else in another thread?
My main build is here:

Not much progress, still debating Speakers although I now am pretty much down to:
Arendal 1723S Monitors LCR with either Surrounds, Bookshelves or more monitors as Surrounds.

M&K 950 LCR with M&K SURR55T's as Surrounds.

Upvote 0

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
My main build is here:

Not much progress, still debating Speakers although I now am pretty much down to:
Arendal 1723S Monitors LCR with either Surrounds, Bookshelves or more monitors as Surrounds.

M&K 950 LCR with M&K SURR55T's as Surrounds.

Sadly there isn´t any good looking stands for those 1723 S Monitors. :( Perhaps something with four metal tubes with meatier look (Atacama SLX type). 🤔 They so tall so look bit... special.

Upvote 0

IWC Dopplel

Distinguished Member
Having listened to a number of systems with Arendals and MK, i can see why some would have preferences. No doubt you get more for your money with Arendals

Mks can be a bit unforgiving perhaps a little forward and monitor in style. Arendals are a little bigger and bolder but perhaps a little softer. I did think the JBLs lifted Marks set up with more projection and drive

just my opinion of course 🤔 I’ve never owned either

Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom