Recommend a 5.2 Setup for <£8k

Jenz

So after nearly dying of Covid in Jan my Wifey and I have sold our current home to move to our "forever home". As part of the Sale the purchasers offered me decent money for my existing BatCave and kit. Therefore I have the opportunity to start from scratch.

My new room is not dedicated. I can have Atmos but ONLY via upfiring. I cannot have onwall or inwall. The L/R can be on stands or can be towers. They could also be on the Subs. The two rears will be on stands OR they could be towers. The Centre will be on an AV stand. Usage is 90% Movies/TV and 10% Music.

Any recommendations for LCR, Surrounds and 2x Subs that would come in less than £8K?

They will almost certainly be powered by a Processor and Power Amp (with a separate budget of £6k) that I have not chosen yet.

I will have one Arendal 1961 1S Sub that I am taking with me that I could use or sell on.

Solution
Sadly there isn´t any good looking stands for those 1723 S Monitors. :( Perhaps something with four metal tubes with meatier look (Atacama SLX type). 🤔 They so tall so look bit... special.
Even worse if you want stands for the 1723S surrounds :eek::laugh:

Dobbyisfree

Probably a stupid suggestion as well below your budget.

What about 4 x THX365T, 1 x THX365C.

4 x 10" THX. Comment about having four of them here:

If your MLP is low enough, you could have the 365T on each sub, if not then on stands.

Just thinking it would be "clean" as Atmos all built in. All drivers are the same and each one 3 way.

And @Mr Wolf @rccarguy2 @Gasp3621 this has nothing to do with me wanting his spare 1961 1S 🤣

Upvote 0

Dobbyisfree

How big is the room? Do you think two 1961 1S will do the job?

Upvote 0

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Yes that's on my list at £5600 for 5.0 using Arendal 1723S towers. Plus another £720 for the second 1961 1S Sub. Wondering about other alternatives.

Is there specific reason to pick Towers? You could get the full size monitor and centre based system likely cheaper. Sorry i`m lazy to compare the prices. Arendal has the stands for the full fat monitors that makes them look like you would have towers and they are on sale often. From the smallish 5,25" drivers with M&K to 8" ones with big cabinets! Spare Change guy on youtube went from M&K S150 to Arendal S Monitors and they blowed the S150s away in dynamics and soundstage etc. Imagine what the full size LCR does. You have also much larger room so definitely consider them if they fit your budget.

You had the XTZ 1x12 in your old room, but sadly only one so comparing to dual Arendals wasn´t necessarily fair to give the whole picture on ported vs. sealed. You could consider 1723 1V x2 as they can be also driven as sealed if you are allergic for stronger deep bass / rumble / extra TR. You also gain larger cabinet size to 1723 1S (sealed) even if you would end up running them sealed. Just like what Dodge and mb3195 did with Sub 3. However the new Arendal vented models are totally different as there is lot more output from 25hz to very low (full power to 10hz) without sacrificing the slam higher up. HPF set lower and 50% more excursion with new drivers and of course more power.

This going to be intresting trip. :)

Upvote 0

Jenz

If it helps I have £16k in total for speakers and processor/amp.

The pics attached are my Arendal scenarios, but wondered what other options I should consider. i have heard the 1723 S’s and really like them. I really liked my MK’s also. Even took a look at Focal Chird 826-D’s.

Obviously I can adjust my budget overall as needed.

Maybe a Trinnov and 5 Kef Eggs :laugh:

I chose towers because I like the look of them and they will be in full view in my room. Towers are only slightly more expensive than 2 monitors plus stands. Make sense?

I will definitely have two subs. If I went down the 1723 S route it would be two 1723 1S’s. I personally don’t really enjoy really deep bass. It’s not for me. So tight fast 18hz and up is fine. Obviously I could consider putting a 1723 S monitor on top of each sub and save a bit.

I also mocked up the front wall with 1961 speakers. This is to scale. It shows my 83inch oled, 3 1961 lcr, and 2 1961 1S subs. It shows I have space.

Attachments

• 7134DA1A-2D12-4DBE-9471-6FB505A10B19.jpeg
    7134DA1A-2D12-4DBE-9471-6FB505A10B19.jpeg
    108.4 KB · Views: 65
  • 9DDBEE00-AE98-4CC9-98C7-56589A88BC57.jpeg
    9DDBEE00-AE98-4CC9-98C7-56589A88BC57.jpeg
    109.2 KB · Views: 46
  • 2BFDC156-B631-4195-BA67-AEC804473809.jpeg
    2BFDC156-B631-4195-BA67-AEC804473809.jpeg
    105.1 KB · Views: 65
  • A61736AB-D07F-4BED-AE19-8A970C0AF6A0.jpeg
    A61736AB-D07F-4BED-AE19-8A970C0AF6A0.jpeg
    208.6 KB · Views: 68
Upvote 0

mb3195

Distinguished Member

The pics attached are my Arendal scenarios, but wondered what other options I should consider. i have heard the 1723 S’s and really like them. I really liked my MK’s also. Even took a look at Focal Chird 826-D’s.

I chose towers because I like the look of them and they will be in full view in my room. Towers are only slightly more expensive than 2 monitors plus stands. Make sense?

I will definitely have two subs. If I went down the 1723 S route it would be two 1723 1S’s. I personally don’t really enjoy really deep bass. It’s not for me. So tight fast 18hz and up is fine. Obviously I could consider putting a 1723 S monitor on top of each sub and save a bit.

I also mocked up the front wall with 1961 speakers. This is to scale. It shows my 83inch oled, 3 1961 lcr, and 2 1961 1S subs. It shows I have space.
That’s going to look mega plush mate 👌🏻

Upvote 0

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member

I was going to say there is no guarantee that the speakers/subs sound best in same spots, but you are quite limited with the width at front. You will measure with REW and perhaps try if 2nd sub would sound better back of the room diagonally opposite corner etc. If you like the looks and have dreamed of big towers then it´s done deal. Buyers remorse might come lurking later if settling for something else.

You know what you like and then the 1S (x2) is ideal way to proceed unless you go crazy like Mark with dual 2S. 😅

I think Dodge is weighting probably similar priced options as you so you might want to talk with him. Below is few options, but keep in mind they are without any discounts and putting such big bucks i would assume better pricing should be possible.

JBL HDI would be intresting option. 5900£ for 5.0

Revel F206 and C208 are touted as one of the best in price class (US).

Definitely 1723 S package over 1961! Why? 1961 Centre = low depth model so it´s more at home when used with the 1961 Monitors (=identical) and more of sideway move from M&Ks you have now. 1961 range competes with 750/950. Center channel is putting what 60-70% of sountrack so go big or back to... closet! ;)

Upvote 0

Jenz

Thanks @Gasp3621 I also have 5.04 based Focal Chora 826-D system in my list that was very well reviewed on AVForums as an option. The JBL's are interesting. The Revel's I'm not so sure.

I also priced up a Kef R5 setup with 2 pairs of R8A's and an R2C and that was coming up quite expensive. So more to consider.

Upvote 0

Jenz

Whilst I am building my overall budget and kit lists I do find the review here of the Focal Chora's interesting as well as this review:
Focal Chora Review by Andrew Robinson

Plus the Home Cinema Choice Review
Home Cinema Choice Review

Thanks also to @Crownshi who also gave me insight to his setup with the NAD 778.

With my ugly room layout two towers at the rear probably would make more sense. If apply that logic to Arendal it means 2 1723S towers at the back. Still need to solve upfiring Atmos for those though o_O

Upvote 0

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Whilst I am building my overall budget and kit lists I do find the review here of the Focal Chora's interesting as well as this review:
Focal Chora Review by Andrew Robinson

Plus the Home Cinema Choice Review
Home Cinema Choice Review

Thanks also to @Crownshi who also gave me insight to his setup with the NAD 778.

With my ugly room layout two towers at the rear probably would make more sense. If apply that logic to Arendal it means 2 1723S towers at the back. Still need to solve upfiring Atmos for those though o_O

I don`t think Chora range is on the level of 1723 S. Aria range is more likely similar level, but that is also quite old and i would assume new range is coming near future. I have sent question to them, but they haven´t responded anything.

PS. If you need towers you could "mix" the 1961 towers with 1723 S front too if need to bring the cost and size down bit.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dobbyisfree

Still need to solve upfiring Atmos for those though

Definitive Technology towers have very clean looking upfirers.

Upvote 0

Jenz

PS. If you need towers you could "mix" the 1961 towers with 1723 S front too if need to bring the cost and size down bit.
Thought of that but Arendal say they are a different colour white :eek: so the White Satin and White Gloss of the 1723S's is different to the White Matte of the 1961's. I'm definitely going for same brand and model for 5.0.

Upvote 0

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Umm that doesn´t make any sense. 950LCR is very similar what you have now and S150 as surrounds (higher range)? Seeing how members have prefered Arendals over S150/S300 if you have the space then it should be quite a no brainer.

We had i think three members who heard R500/R700 and newer floorstanding Kefs and compared to Arendal 1723s. All said similar things. Kefs were bit too laid back for movies, music better but for movies they can´t match Arendals.

Upvote 0

Seriously Ltd

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
The LCR950THX have more output than the OP’s current LCR750THX which he is a already happy with.

The S150T tripoles use the same drivers as the 950’s and are a perfect match.

We have many clients who have replaced their Arendals with M&K. It’s horses for courses.

Upvote 0

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Most likely due to size. We have seen some US folks on youtube comparing S150 to Arendal 1723 S Monitors and there is no competition.

I just don´t see any point going from 750 to 950. The difference will be very small! If sticking with M&K then the latest S150 mk3? LCR without question. I don´t understand why spend more for surround channels over LCR as we know which is going to make more difference. The whole point doing upgrade would be to get something noticeably better.

Upvote 0

Seriously Ltd

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Again the 950 is the better speaker with more output. The OP states that he likes his current 750’s. They both use the same drivers as the 150 series. There isn’t available budget to move to the S150THX which would have been our initial choice.
As stated we have had many clients move over to the 150 series from their Arendals. We have many clients who have heard both and bought the M&K’s. It’s a personal choice. You really can’t state one is better than the other from some end user reviews.
Mark who has posted above has heard the M&K’s and prefers the Arendals. It’s a personal choice.

At the end of the day it is for the OP to make an informed decision based on research and demonstrations.

We supplied the OP’s original 750 system and are completely confident of our recommendation as an upgrade path within the available budget.

Upvote 0

Jenz

Most likely due to size. We have seen some US folks on youtube comparing S150 to Arendal 1723 S Monitors and there is no competition.

I just don´t see any point going from 750 to 950. The difference will be very small! If sticking with M&K then the latest S150 mk3? LCR without question. I don´t understand why spend more for surround channels over LCR as we know which is going to make more difference. The whole point doing upgrade would be to get something noticeably better.
All true but remember it’s not an upgrade. I will have no speakers in my new place as all the old kit is being left.

So this is me debating options from starting from scratch.

I’be very much enjoyed my current MK750’s, coupled with my 2 Arendal subs. I’ve heard the 1723S’s at @mb3195 ’s and they sounded sensational. I won’t be listening at those levels, probably -10 for the most part.

@Crownshi has given me excellent feedback on the intriguing Focal Chora 826-D’s.

My room detailed in my build thread is an ugly shape and not huge so it’s a great opportunity to do something bigger.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Again the 950 is the better speaker with more output. The OP states that he likes his current 750’s. They both use the same drivers as the 150 series. There isn’t available budget to move to the S150THX which would have been our initial choice.
As stated we have had many clients move over to the 150 series from their Arendals. We have many clients who have heard both and bought the M&K’s. It’s a personal choice. You really can’t state one is better than the other from some end user reviews.
Mark who has posted above has heard the M&K’s and prefers the Arendals. It’s a personal choice.

At the end of the day it is for the OP to make an informed decision based on research and demonstrations.

We supplied the OP’s original 750 system and are completely confident of our recommendation as an upgrade path within the available budget.

I think there could be as i saw the total budget 16k£ mentioned, however if Jenz comes to senses and don´t overly spent on some receiver/processor+amp combo as the room isn´t dedicated space with treatments and there is few compromises so it isn´t really optimal to begin with and no room correction in the world isn´t going to change it magically.

950 is better, but still only marginally. The differences to 750 are not big you have said this yourself in the past!!! I just feel he wants bigger jump this time and don´t see any point with 950. If going with the 150 LCR then i think he needs to save little bit with the surround channels and this should be good compromise in my books. Put the most money where it´s needed and little bit less for the effect channels. Then choose the rest of equipment wisely. Anthem 740 example and couple Arendal sealed subs.

I didn´t mean Mark. I have seen many members hearing the S150/S300 over the years, some owning them and moving to Arendals which they prefer by big margin. You can´t deny the law of physics, they will do certain things M&Ks can´t do. That is not up for debate. I think Jenz has heard Marks Arendals already as he was leaning that way in the first posts already.

Upvote 0

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
All true but remember it’s not an upgrade. I will have no speakers in my new place as all the okd kit is being left.

So this is me debating options from starting from scratch.

Do you have the receiver still, if you do can you keep it longer?

Upvote 0

Seriously Ltd

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
In the OP’s room with a pair of subs the output will be fine.

Processing/amplification wise I have already discussed options.

Anyway I’ve made my recommendation and it’s for the OP to take his time and decide.

Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Google launches Pixel 6 and 6 Pro smartphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sony announces two new 3LCD laser projectors
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Ruark Audio R5 is Made In England collection launch product
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Apple unveils MacBook Pros for 2021