Recommend a 32" for pc viewing

chqshiatan

Novice Member
Hi Guys,

I am looking for a 32 screen that will be used 90% of the time for either playing games, or watching archived material from various sources.

After reading this forum over a matter of months, and with the equipment changing as such an alarming rate its very hard to keep up so wanted to get your thoughts.

Thanks in advance

RockySpieler

If you can find one, the Somerfield 32" Medion LCD £400 or cheaper if you have friends who work there.

DVI (not HDCP) but supreme with my 9500pro at 1280x768 native resolution (using my 9800se aiw I have to use powerstrip, and even then I have to play with the settings about once a week, as it seems to drift. But 9500Pro plays natively without powerstrip, just using ati drivers).

For me its the perfect stop gap until 1080p input/output 40"+ are available, its NOT HDReady and has no component input although RGB Scart is OK. So its only any good for using with a PC (I have not tried XBox360, but if someones wants to give me one to test!!).

Speakers are detachable, has VGA (not aligned perfectly), but DVI performance is super crisp.

Note its 1280x768 which is unusually, not 16:9, so you may not appreciate the scaling, but I have no complaints on this front.

Eventually it will be relegated to the bedroom, but it is a bargain even at £400.

Since swapping out the 9800se for my 9500pro I have not tried 50Hz, but it did work with the 9800se over DVI.

chqshiatan

Novice Member
Ah cool, will have to keep an eye out for that one, although I was hoping to get something future proofish, with hd compatibility, but at half the price cant argue

RockySpieler

I only play COD2 (Badly......), it has a widescreen option of 1280x720 which works ok with bands top and bottom.

There is some rippling now and then, but that may be my graphics (9500Pro isn't exactly fast these days).

You have to be careful with games via DVI (or even VGA) on a LCD TV, not all resolutions are supported. Also although this TV is good at 1280x768, and has bands at 1280x720 (which is good), most other resolutions (if accepted) are stretched to fit the screen. Some LCD TV's such as the LG's and older Sharp's have a 1:1 pixel option where you can choose if you want a small picture window scaled properly, or for the TV to stretch the image to fit 1366x768.

There are a couple of forums with work arounds for widescreen gaming:-

http://www.tigerdave.com/
http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/

chqshiatan

Novice Member
Thanks a lot mate. Yea, I am interested in a 1:1 mainly. I still have a couple of months before i have to take the plunge so no doubt the scene will have changed again.

mark800

Distinguished Member
RockySpieler said:
For me its the perfect stop gap until 1080p input/output 40"+ are available, its NOT HDReady and has no component input although RGB Scart is OK. So its only any good for using with a PC (I have not tried XBox360, but if someones wants to give me one to test!!).

1080p input 40"+ (e.g. Sony 46" X series) are already available, although these are expensive.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom