Question Recommend a 16 port network switch that supports link aggregation and has a 10gb port

How much do you want to spend?
How easy do you need it to be to set up (for example, can you run a CLI, or do you need it to be GUI?)

Ok, so here’s where I’m coming from.

I just want a easy to install/use/manage switch that doesn’t cost more than £150. I wanted link aggregation because I want to get a high end Synology NAS that supports 4 port link aggregation.

Good luck for that money!

I’d be looking at an HP 2540 24G 4SFP+ Switch (JL354A). There is a 2530 2SFP+ version.

Ah, you want the 'moon on a stick' model ;-)

Won't a high end Synology have a 10Gb NIC? Multi port 10Gb needed or just single?

Copper or fibre 10Gb?

Netgear will have something at the [relative] cheaper end of the market.

Last edited:
I don't know the market (haven't bought switches for ages) but if you've can find what you want for the price, you might consider compromising on 10G unless you really need it. A more basic 16 port 10/100/1000 switches that support link aggregation should be pretty low price these days.

Be aware of audio noise - such devices might be fan cooled and make noise (and heat) which you might need to consider if you are used to fanless "desktop" models.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I thought I could use the 10gb with the NAS as part of the link aggregation. Maybe I don’t need 10gb port, I certainly don’t want to spend £1k+ on a switch.

I just want something that has enough ports to future proof me and allow link aggregation to a decent NAS in order to back up and serve up my home videos and pictures.

I’m currently using a Drobo FS which is really slow.

In standards based aggregated links, all the physical links that constitute the LA must be the same media type and link rate (speed) - so you cannot mix and match speeds and modes (copper/fibre.)

You either have a Synology (or NAS) with up to 4 x 1 Gbit Copper based NICs plugged into a gigabit switch with link aggregation or one with a 10 Gbit copper based NIC plugged into a 10Gbit switch one or the other not both (well unless you have two )

Then ideally you need a client or set of clients to take advantage of it so you need Link aggregation or 10Gbit on the clients or lots of clients.

You also need the hard drives in an array (RAID or otherwise) that will keep up with the speed requirements. A typical single drive will read at 180Mbytes/sec will hit or 1.44Gbit so to saturate a a 10Gbit link you would 7 drives in a RAID 0 which is the generally fastest type of RAID but with no resilience. One drive fail and puff all your data gone. Some mechanical hard drives might be quicker but you are still probably talking minimum of 5 drives. SSD will be obviously quicker but not give you the storage space required.

IMO I don't think a typical home user requires much more than a gigabit network, but it all depends on how much data you need to shift round and how quickly plus how deep your pockets are.

Thanks guys, I think i can leave the 10gb out and just go for link aggregation.

You also need the hard drives in an array (RAID or otherwise) that will keep up with the speed requirements. A typical single drive will read at 180Mbytes/sec will hit or 1.44Gbit so to saturate a a 10Gbit link you would 7 drives in a RAID 0 which is the generally fastest type of RAID but with no resilience. One drive fail and puff all your data gone. Some mechanical hard drives might be quicker but you are still probably talking minimum of 5 drives. SSD will be obviously quicker but not give you the storage space required.
Samsung have announced 30TB SSD, or a 60TB Seagate SSD if you OK with LFF:)

Look up the Netgear GS724 managed switch...
https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-GS724Tv4-24-Port-Lifetime-Protection/dp/B00GZNAHOA

Fanless design supporting LAG. I use these in both personal and SME business environments.

At home, I use LAG for the backbone infrastructure and also the servers where I have >2 NIC’s

TBH, I’d be astonished if many home users can genuinely say thay need anything more. 10Gb backbones for ~4 or 5 users even if your are using for intensive tasks like HD streaming?

I seriously love my tech and looking for better/faster ways but this is still overkill considering high end CCTV and a like only need 100Mb links and perform flawlessly.

Samsung have announced 30TB SSD, or a 60TB Seagate SSD if you OK with LFF:)

I'm running out of kidneys to sell - if they know what's good for them, the children will move out soon, lest they get sold for medical research. :D

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-GS724Tv4-24-Port-Lifetime-Protection/dp/B00GZNAHOA

Fanless design supporting LAG. I use these in both personal and SME business environments.

At home, I use LAG for the backbone infrastructure and also the servers where I have >2 NIC’s

TBH, I’d be astonished if many home users can genuinely say thay need anything more. 10Gb backbones for ~4 or 5 users even if your are using for intensive tasks like HD streaming?

I seriously love my tech and looking for better/faster ways but this is still overkill considering high end CCTV and a like only need 100Mb links and perform flawlessly.

Given the top bit rate of uhd at the moment is a mere 125mbs you could fit 8 down a gigabit pipe currently :)

Don't worry I have already sold your house to pay for my 60tb ssd. ;)
Please sir, I'd like to re-mortgage my house
How much do you need to borrow
Well HGST do a 3.2TB SSD, and I need 20 of 'em. They're £3'700 each. Plus another £7K for the NAS and expansion box to put it in.
Won't you need 2 for resilience?
Oh yeah, that would be great.
There's not enough equity in your house, in fact it's not worth that much!
:(

Thanks guys, I think i can leave the 10gb out and just go for link aggregation.
in that case you should be able to do that with a web managed switch. The HP 1820-24G (and the older 1810) supports LACP and is right on budget. I hate it (horrible interface, give me a command line!) but it doesn't reduce the fact that it's perfect for your needs.

@Chester those 3.2TB are so errr.... yesterday.

By the power of Facebook and Wish you can now get 30TB in a 13mm 2.5" package. None of these Seagate 3.5" rubbish....

All for the bargain price of £4 .... :facepalm:

upload_2018-3-9_9-9-48.png

I am using a Synology DS-414 with 2xGbE link aggregation, connected to a D-Link 24-port managed switch, model DGS-1210-24. This does LACP (which is required by the Synology) and is fanless.

You absolutely do not need 10Gb connections for home use.

I am using a Synology DS-414 with 2xGbE link aggregation, connected to a D-Link 24-port managed switch, model DGS-1210-24. This does LACP (which is required by the Synology) and is fanless.

You absolutely do not need 10Gb connections for home use.

Thanks for this, I liked the look of your recommendation and it about £100 on Amazon, so I’ve just ordered this[emoji106]

I run a GS724Tv4 at home with a 2 x 1Gb LAG via Cat6 to my switch (GS108Tv2)in my Media room on the top floor of my house and have so far yet to saturate it. That said my Synology is only single 1Gb Port and the network is seldom the limiting factor on it whatever I am streaming. Unless you need 10 Gb now (and I am not sure for what in a domestic environment), then buy something like the GS724Tv4 as they are relatively cheap and upgrade when 10Gb technology comes down in price.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom