1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommend a 1/4” Stereo Plug to 3.5mm Stereo Socket Adaptor?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by franc, Jan 12, 2005.

1. franc

franc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi. I need a 1/4” Stereo Plug to 3.5mm Stereo Socket Adaptor to connect a pair of headphones to a cd/amp headphone socket. Should I just get a cheap one from Maplin or is there a better alternative?

Here is the Maplin one: http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=996&TabID=1&source=14&doy=12m1

Would an all-metal connector offer better results?

Many thanks, regards FRANC

2. AlecF

AlecF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Crikey, I'd just get a cheap one - I'd be hugely skeptical they could make any material difference.

3. Smiley Man

Smiley Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They make a big difference if you have decent headphones

grado make one, its about £10 though :( ive got one and its much better than the cheapo ones :thumbsup:

4. franc

franc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks smiley man. I have used different adapters in the past which have had a quite obvious detrimental effect on the signal passed. I guess its worth trying the maplins one only because its so cheap but I shall have a look for the one you recommend also.

Many thanks for both your contributions.

Regarsd FRANC

5. AlecF

AlecF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Must be my cloth ears, then! Didn't make a damn bit of difference when I had Grados.

6. Leporello

Leporello

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a pair of Grados and reading this thread I thought I'd give the Grado adaptor a try against the Maplins one. These cloth ears must be infectious as I can't hear any difference between the two.

7. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    I think there's a good deal of difference between some of the cheap and nasty ones,and good quality,well made jobs....the one that came with my Senn 600's is very nicely made and works well,but I also have a nasty one bought in haste from a local high street retailer...easy to tell the difference sonically,despite the cheap one being gold plated(!)

8. Leporello

Leporello

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Perhaps the difference lies in the fact that you have more sensitive hearing than we mere mortals? My Grado adaptor is certainly shinier than Maplin's humble 99p product but I can't hear any difference between the two on my Grados, but then again, perhaps Maplins have a secret formulation that is as good as gold and known and understood by the discerning few?

This is the second human conundum that has crossed my path today. This morning I found in my spam folder an offer for an avocado stimulant. Who on Earth would want to stimulate an avocado? :confused:

9. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674

LOL....I certainly don't think my ears are any different to anyone else's...just down to the quality of the connections I'd guess,and nothing more.

As to your second conundrum,be very careful stimulating your avocados,especially if you include spam...spam ...spam(for any of us old enough to remember Monty Python).

10. norm

norm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7