1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommend a £200 DvD player

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by flibb, Sep 15, 2003.

1. flibb

flibb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Firstly a quick hello as this is my first post. My name is Jon and am currently putting together a home cinema system, already have a reasonable hi-fi separates setup.

Right cut to the chase. I have a rather old a dodge Goodmans (look it was free) dvd player and have been given a pioneer AV amp / decoder, 5.1 speakers are on the way as well. My wife has donated £200 to purchase a dvd player, what do I get? I dont need cd playback and a 5.1 decoder isnt necessary, so what would be my best bet for picture quality and digital optical output. Hopefully 32" TV next year.
    Thanks for your help
    Flibb

2. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Get a Toshiba SD330 from Amazon for £80 from what you say there is no need to spend any more and you can spend the rest on DVD's.

3. flibb

flibb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was looking at the Toshiba SD520, then I noticed that its got a 5.1 decoder built in. Any idea if it has any other advarntages over the SD330 ? Not sure what other players are available in this bracket, but have seen a couple of pioneer systems.
    Cheers
    Flibb

4. dtsrules

dtsrules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pioneer 565 is supposed to be decent.

5. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,198
    I just bought one of these for my parents and it is a better than my old DVD. I was thinking of getting one myself or the Pioneer DV-360S at £10 dearer. Does anyone know if Pioneer is any better than the Toshiba?

6. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,212
    IMHO the pioneer is measureably better built but not any better picture wise. Depends how long you want to keep it I guess.

7. jsebright

jsebright
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Another vote for the pioneer 565 - it plays DVD-Audio and SACD discs (fantastic quality / surround sound music, but not many titles available yet).
    If you're not swayed by DVD-A or SACD, you're probably better off with a Toshiba. I think the SD520 has got progressive component out (probably NTSC only), which differentiates it from the SD330.
    Pioneer 565 has progressive (NTSC & Pal as NTSC) component out.

Jon.

8. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    You could also look at a Panasonic E50, more expensive than you asked for (IRO £250) but it is also a recorder, depends on what you want the player for, if you don’t need a recorder, CD Player, Multi-channel music player etc, all you need is RGB and digital sound out no need to spend more than you have to IMO.

9. flibb

flibb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not really after a recorder at the moment, will look into that for the PC at some point. Will probably get a Toshiba SD330.
    Cheers
    Flibb

10. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    My 200 quid Pioneer 565 has SACD, DVD-A and progressive-NTSC.

Build quality is great. Functions are numerous. Matches my mates 656 which cost double.

There may not be many SACD & DVD-A title at the moment but the ones that have been released do sound great and I'm sure they will catch on.