1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommedations gratefully received £250-350

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by kirsten.jet, Jan 14, 2005.

1. kirsten.jet

kirsten.jet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had a good read of this site and many others and was hoping someone might be able to help as I'm beginning to get bogged down in all the reviews.

I'm looking for a camera about the £250-350 max, with a big optical zoom.
    The ones I've been looking at so far are

Canon Powershot S1 IS
    Kodak Easyshare DX7590
    Olympus C-770
    Minalto Dimage Z3
    Panasonlic DMC-FZ20
    Nikon Coolpix 5700
    Fuji S7000

The everyday use for me will be photographing clothes mainly for Ebay, so I'd like one with a good flash as at the moment I'm restricted to certain times of the day and I'd like to still be able to do it when it's dark out. Also it means the colour being accurate is really important.

For the fun side I'd like to be able to get good photos at the zoos and wildlife parks I'm always at.

At the moment I know next to nothing but I really want to learn and want a camera that I can learn on and not need to replace once I do know more and that I can buy bits for at a later time.

Sorry it's a lot of info but I thought it'd be best to be precise about what I want it to do.

Thanks for any suggestions on ones I should consider more or just dismiss.

Zoe

2. Crocodile

Crocodile
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,458
    I can offer my thoughts on the 2 I have experience of - the S7000 & the FZ20.

Either of the cameras will be more than adequate for the eBay work. If the light levels are very low then the Panasonic should fare better with it's AF assist. Flash on both (if it's needed) should give good results.

For the zoo shots the FZ20 is the better technological choice as the lens has twice the range of the Fuji combined with image stabilisation. The Fuji scores in reverse in that it has a "super macro" function that will allow shooting of small objects at greater magnification than the FZ20.

My personal opinion is that the build & ergonomics of the S7000 are far superior to those of the FZ20 but that is very much down to personal taste. At the risk of entering a sexist debate, the small size of the FZ20 may well be better suited to smaller hands.

If you want to PM your e-mail address I'll happily send some samples from the S7000. I didn't keep the FZ20 long enough to archive anything.

3. kirsten.jet

kirsten.jet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks very much.

Don't worry about being called sexist, it was a fair comment and not something I'd thought about. I've got hands smaller than most of kids in my family so it's worth considering!

Zoe

4. dougan

dougan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi Zoe,

Have you considered the Panasonic DMC-FZ3? It has the same lens as the FZ20, 12x zoom and image stabiliser, but its weight is nearly half of the FZ20.
    I know it is "only" 3.2 mega pixels, but unless you intend to print poster sized pictures you will not notice any difference in image quality.

I am currently after a super zoom in your price range, and it is certainly on my short list.

Cheers

Dougie

5. Wids

Wids
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I can vouch for the FZ3 which I have had for about two weeks now. It is fantastic with great picture quality.

6. kirsten.jet

kirsten.jet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the suggestions. I bought the FZ20 a couple of days ago. I'm really happy with it so far.

Cheers to everyone.

Zoe

7. jonhead34

jonhead34
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Zoe

This is adapted from a reply I sent to mmrb's post on this forum...

I can't comment on the other cameras, but I've had a Panasonic FZ20 since November and absolutely love it.

The results have been fantasic, and it feels like a real bargain for what I paid (just over £300). Needless to say, I've bee busily zooming the 12X optical zoom lens and have played around with the masses of features on the camera. The menus and sheer volume of features can be confusing and overwhelming to a non-expert, but a two hour investment in reading the manual soon starts to set you right!

It has handshake control, but I must admit that not all my handheld photos using 12X zoom have been totally blur-free. However, but most have been fine and the results at 12X using a tripod have been outstanding.

I have experimented in various conditions (night, distance, motion, very close up, full-zoom), and although it was not always perfect first time, with a bit of "tweaking", I was very pleased with the results.

Walking around with the camera around my neck, it is heavy and bulky enough for me to be aware it is there, but not so much that it is a problem.

Whatever you choose, all the very best of luck with your digital camera Zoe!

All the best

Jon

8. D J Fryer

D J Fryer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Big thanks to the OP and subsequent posters - I was going to ask the same sort of question. Just heard from my local John Lewis (High Wycombe) that they will price match Smiths Tv and Video in Liverpool at £299 for the Panasonic FZ20 (only just though - Smith's apparently sold out yesterday). I had a play with one yesterday and whilst ergonomically I agree with crocodile (who helped them design the position of the shutter release and zoom control ?) the feature list and picture quality seems unparalelled for the money (even better seeing as my local JL list price is £449!). Gonna pick mine up in a hour or so.

9. Crocodile

Crocodile
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,458
    E.T. :laugh:

10. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,014
    The Olympus C-770 is near enough the same camera as the Olympus C-765 with a totally metal case a hot shoe, twin flash and it has a 25 or 30 FPS movie mode it also comes with some extra goodies the 765 does not get one of them being more memory. Also it is in lovely black rather than silver. I would have got one myself but it was a little to dear at the time of my purchase.
    I have been very pleased with my 765.