Recommedations for basic archiving from Sky+ and VHS

Palladio

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to get my first DVD recorder but only really want it for occasional copying from from Sky+ and backing up my old VHS tapes. I'm assuming I would be better getting a dedicated DVD player such as the Oppo for DVD's and CD's and a cheapish Recorder rather than going for an expensive all in one and not sure whether I need a HDD but do want ease of use and a reliable machine as it won't get used that often. Is a combi VHS/DVD worth looking at ?

New screen will be a Pioneer 427 and a new amp is also on the horizon so want some future proofing but not sure how relevant that is bearing in mind the requirements.

Obviously already use Sky+ and Freeview in my area is not good.

Would really welcome user experience and any suggestions please ?

If you want a cheap DVD recorder places like Tesco are doing them for under £100.

I assume you want to back up home movies. It would be worth copying them on to DVD as they would be easier to store and will not deteriorate as quickly.

If you want to copy movies from VHS, I wouldn't bother. The box of tricks needed to disable the Macrovision would cost as much as a couple of dozen DVDs, if you got them off E-Bay.

zombie_donkey,
Thanks for the response. Only interested in copying documentaries and concerts from the Sky+ HDD to DVD for keeping and maybe as you said the odd home movies but assume I should be able to connect my Video Camera direct to the DVDR to do that.

The thing is would an Oppo DVD player be a worthwhile purchase over say a good Sony or Panasonic DVDR ?

The thing is would an Oppo DVD player be a worthwhile purchase over say a good Sony or Panasonic DVDR ?

DVDRs are generally more tolerant at playing back "home-made" DVDs than expensive DVD players - I've got a £230 Pioneer DVD player, and a £100 LG DVDR, and the LG will play anything, the Pioneer struggles on quite a few DVDs that I have recorded myself (on both DVDR and PC). Put it this way, I would be surprised if an Oppo DVD player can make your home recordings look any better than the machine you do the recordings on, even if it might have a (slight) edge on commercial DVDs. And two different machines means two boxes under your TV, two different leads to connect the things to your TV, two different sets of cables to connect the audio outs to your amp. Why not invest in a decent, but not over-the-top, DVDR first, seeing as you want one anyway, and if you aren't happy with its output from commercial discs then think about getting an expensive DVD player then.

"Why not invest in a decent, but not over-the-top, DVDR first, seeing as you want one anyway, and if you aren't happy with its output from commercial discs then think about getting an expensive DVD player then."

Broadz,
I think you're right. Go for a decent DVDR first and then see if I'm happy with the picture quality. My real concern would be for sound quality on both DVD's and CD's rather than the picture. But as you suggest one step at a time.

:confused: Most DVDR owners care more for the picture quality.

My thoughts were that a good DVDR should produce an acceptable picture quality from commercial DVD's plus I don't think my eyes are as critical as my ears but I wasn't sure about it's ability with CD's. I know there's always a compromise somewhere along the line especially when getting an AV amp to play music.

My ideal would be to have my old Linn Intek and Epos speakers in the lounge as well but don't think i would get that past the other half.......:rolleyes:

My ideal would be to have my old Linn Intek and Epos speakers in the lounge as well but don't think i would get that past the other half.......:rolleyes:

Aye, most of us hit that brick wall at some point. :D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom