Recomended safe viewing distance for 50" Plasma's

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by fatrich, Mar 7, 2006.

1. fatrich

fatrich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Just about to order a 42" plasma when the wife churps up saying if your going to get a bigger plasma go for a 50" ( will have to save a bit longer:eek: ) my viewing distance from the wall where we sit is 8ft, is this too close? and ive done all my research on 42" plasma's what are the best ones to go for bearing in mind the viewing distance? HD or SD will consider both, i will be using a Lumagen HDP (sdi modded) and an Arcam FMJ DV27 sdi modded and sky+ (not getting sky hd straight away or maybe not at all)

cheers

richard

2. madshi

madshi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    For DVD watching the 50" should be just fine (especially with your nice setup). I'm watching mine from 7 feet and I'm enjoying it. For HD it will be even finer. For SD TV is might be rather ugly, but well...

Viewing distances are a matter of taste, though, so you'll here lots of different voices. My recommendation is to take your better half with you to a shop and check out how near you like to go to 50" plasmas displayed there.

3. Kamin99

Kamin99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I have panny 50" and watching SD Tv fromSky +DVD at 9 Foot distance and enjoying it

4. londismintlaw

londismintlaw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    FatRich,
    I am sitting about 81/2 ft away from my Pioneer 506 and with DVD (HDMI via Samsung 850) is just awesome. Best way to describe it is like going to the pictures. With Sky+ set at RGB out via QED Scart pictue is very very watchable on most channels. Only now and again on some poor transmissions due you get annoyed. But then i just change channels if it is poort to watch. As rule most channels are ok, sky 1, movies, sports, news and free channels are great.

Sid

5. redpavlos

redpavlos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I usually watch at 10-12 feet from my 50" plasma.

I find this pretty 'safe' for SD digital (Freeview/satellite), the artefacts caused by inadequate bit-rate are noticable but not usually too disturbing. On film source transmissions, it's fequently very good.

Often feel drawn to get closer to the screen, particularly on good quality DVDs.

For HD and digital camera photos 8 feet should be fine. But, in my view, at this distance you'll be aware of the variable quality of SD digital from broadcast sources.

On DVDs via SDI/Lumagen I suspect you'll find it ok, but always best to try before you buy.

Buying today, in your situation, I'd be inclined to look for a plasma with approx. 1366x768 display resolution in order to get good results from future HD sources.

6. fatrich

fatrich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Guys thankyou for your comments, looks like it back to the shops to do some viewing

cheers

richard

7. fatrich

fatrich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Ok can anyone point me in the right direction please, i suppose i will be looking at £3000.00 to £4000.00, from what i know about plasma it looks like a 3 horse race

Pioneer
    panasonic
    and Fujitsu

the more comments the better please

cheers

richard

8. Alec

Alec
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    IF your going to use your sclaler (Lumagen HDP) then it must be a panel.
    You need to demo the Pioneer MXE11 & Panasonic panel to see which one you like the best. I went for the 50-MXE11.

9. Iratus

Iratus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Crikey, can we swap girlies.

My television spot is about 17 feet from the sofa and I've had a job convincing her that 32" was too small.

10. unique

unique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,211
    i think my eyes are about 6 foot from the screen when i'm on the sofa, maybe 7 or 8 foot max. no point in getting a bigger screen if it's just going to look small again when your sitting back. you may as well get a smaller screen and move the sofa closer

that sounds a bit like a good viz top tip! save yourself £4000 by moving your sofa close to your portable 14" tv and applying black duct tape to the top and the bottom of the screen to give a "widescreen" effect, rather than buy an expensive new plasma

11. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +986
    I sit 8/9ft away from mine and it is fine.

Forget the Pioneer if you are using a scaler mate, the 436XDE has the black levels but you can't pixel map it without some real sh*tty frame rate conversion going on.

Personally I prefer the Panasonic over the Fujitsu too, when using a scaler as you are. The Panasonic looks so much more analogue like than the Fuji, I can't put my finger on what it is with the Fuji but it does look digital.
    My mate went from a Panny 50PHD6 to a Fuji about 4 months ago and sold the Fuji and went over to a 50PHD8 again 2 weeks ago. He is using a Philips 963 sdi into a Lumagen HDP.

If you didn't have the scaler the Fuji would be worth considering, but in your set up get the Panny, and save yourself a few quid! ;)

Alastair is doing 9 months interest free on the 50PHD8, could have it on the wall by tomorrow! :)

12. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +986
    :smashin:

13. fatrich

fatrich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    or i could buy us both a pair of very thick glasses save me a fortune

i will have a look at the pannies

cheers

richard

14. unique

unique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,211
    get a pair of binoculars and a £9.99 portable telly from richer sounds and spend the rest of beer!

15. AndrewTheMuppet

AndrewTheMuppet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    81/2...... 81 divided by 2?????

So you sit 40 feet from your screen?
    You need one of those Panny 101" screens.

:)

Andrew