1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recomended amount of memory

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by fallwood, Sep 20, 2005.

1. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I currently have 512 mb in my mce 2005 machine but it seems to suffer from bouts of extreme lag at times, if i dont use the system for a while (3-4 hours) and then press guide or main menu it can sometimes take up to a minute for anything to happen, once its got going again it seems fine untill I leave it again for a while, would adding another 512 ram help the situation.

2. evolution400

evolution400

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Just use task manager click performance and see how much is used up if its not using the full 512mb then no it wont help it is probbaly your hdd is it 7200rpm ?
    is it defraged regular ?

3. OneEleven

OneEleven

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    check out you memory usage in Task Manager
    Have a look at the commit charge -the Peak value will tell yuo if you need more memory.
    It might be worth running a spyware check too to see if you have anything else chewing up system resources.

4. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Peak commit charge is 520128 k, I honestly thought 512 would be enough as it sits there doing nowt most of the time, mostly gets used for live tv as epg on sky is so bad, dont really do any recording but do use it to watch a lot of downloaded video inc hi-def stuff.

5. evolution400

evolution400

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    It shouldnt be using that much I would do a spyware scan as oneeleven suggested.

6. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Just done a scan and it did find a few things (6), rebooted and commit charge is 376 mb and peak is 385848 k when running live tv , just played one of the wmv hi-def demo files from the microsoft site and commit jumped up to 548 mb for a while and then settled down to 448 mb ,peak is now at 553728 k. Returned to live tv and commit has gone back to 375 mb. What kind of memory usage r u guys experiencing.

7. OneEleven

OneEleven

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    376 sounds normal enough. I'd expect it to rise with HiDef playback too, so nothing too unusual now.
    Current XP Pro machine I'm sitting on ATM is showing 400MB with a peak of 850MB (running Visual Studio, Lauterbach debugger a DOS box and a browser) New bothered looking at my HTPC at home (1GB in there). Memory is sooo cheap ATM it might be worth throwing another 512MB at it

8. evolution400

evolution400

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    When watching live tv and 1 extender running I get 400mb I will test when watching hi def tonight and let you know although I use hardware decoding for HD material as I find it runs smoother.

9. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Just phoned my local suppliier and im off now to pick up another 512mb only 28 squids so no reason not really, all I need now is my new xp3000+ to arrive , current 2200+ is a bit jerky on some of the 1080i hi-def stuff (720p plays lovely), originaly built it to play dvd's and nothing else (used to boot up into theatertek) but its now a full on media center in the living room.

10. evolution400

evolution400

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    mmmmmm XP2200+ what gcard do you have ? and what codec do you use ?
    Af your not using hardware decoding your CPU alone is way too low for HD material even the 3000+ will be hard pushed to run full 1080i or 1080p without jerkyness.

11. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Im running a radeon 9600se and the nvidia purevideo codec with hardware decoding, my other 3000+ machine with 9600 plays 1080i/p perfectly and thats with some post processing from ffdshow as well, I swapped processors round last week to see if a 3000+ would be enough in the shuttle and it seemed to perform ok with the 1080 hi-def stuff, cpu was running at about 95 % though so its very close to being maxed out. By the time 1080 stuff is readily availabe I will probably have upgraded to an athlon64 so shouldnt be an issue, just want to squeeze as much life as I can out of the current shuttle.

12. evolution400

evolution400

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    You have to enable hardware decoding for ATi cards in the registry do that and it will run much better your cpu usage will go down to about 60% maybe less.
    regedit
    then search for DXVA double click and change all from 0 to 1 then you will have much better performance.

13. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Wont running ffdshow when playing video files overide any hardware decoding though. Does the better performance apply to live tv or just playing video files, cpu is at about 45% when viewing live tv, changed the setting, rebooted and cpu is still at 45%.

14. evolution400

evolution400

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    You will notice when you run HD stuff try a test run a 1080i file see what your cpu is on then if its 90% + you havent enabled DXVA in your registry so do that then try again it will be greatly reduced.

15. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I it just the one registry setting I need to change, can only find one that says DXVA.

16. evolution400

evolution400

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Thats it then if you run some HD clips now you should notice that your CPU usage has gone well below 90 should be about 60% I checked my memory when watching HD it goes up to 450 so I still have some MB left :)

17. drummerjohn

drummerjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    When youve got your extra memory installed turn off your page file.

18. monopole

monopole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just went from 512MB to 1024MB and the difference in performance is huge - no more paging when switching between apps and MCE starts up a heck of a lot faster.

Also, check your disk doesn't need defragging - if it's paging to a fragmented disk, then your system will crawl even more.

19. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Installed another 512mb and now everything runs sweet, still plays 1080i badly, wish ups would hurry up and deiver my new processor. Overclocked the 2200+ to 2700+ but it still wont play 1080i properly, on my other machine (2700+) a 1080i file takes approximately 60-80 % of the processor on the overclocked 2200+ its still maxed out at 100% , probably cos the other machine has 400fsb and the memory is running a lot quicker, even when overclocked the 2200+ is only running at 309fsb, just have to wait and see when the new cpu arrives.

20. evolution400

evolution400

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    You will never run 1080i propely unless you use hardware acceleraton by enabling it in the registry you need at least 2.4ghz of out right power for your CPU alone to run 1080i properly which is the equivilent in AMD terms of around 3600+ so as you can see your too far away you need to enable DXVA or put up with the choppy 1080i I am usre my mate meansizzler will back me up on this :)
    AMD's quoted 3200+ 2200+ etc is for apllication based for video decoding you just need out righ GHz power so if you dont understand how to enable DXVA just by an nvidia card as they are enabled as std in registry.

21. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Woohoo got it working, for some reason fast write was turned off in ati smart gart settings, enabled it and now only 60-70% cpu usage when playing 1080I, couldnt understand why it would play ok on one machine and not the other, does hardware decoding reduce the picture quality at all.

22. evolution400

evolution400

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    By the sounds of it your your hardware encoding is now active because with your spec system when running HD you should be at 100% CPU usage so it must need AGP fast write to wirk aswell somthing to note :)
    still cant hurt to search for all instances of DXVA in your registry and alter them to 1 just to make sure although it does sound that you have it working now :)
    I am going to try the new ATI MCE drivers later I will post how I get on.