Question Recomendations for used floorstanders up to £500

garrynic

Hi guys Happy New Year To All
Due to unforeseen circumstances I have had to sell off all my Home Cinema gear, except my Arcam avr600. At least by keeping this and adding a pair of floorstanders I can still listen to music or even the odd film. I do not have a sub anymore so I want some speakers that will go fairly low down.
The room is about 5mtrsx4mtrs any advice would be much appreciated
Cheers
Garry

larkone

If you can find them Rega R5 or RS5 would fit the bill nicely. There are a pair of both on the bay now

garrynic

If you can find them Rega R5 or RS5 would fit the bill nicely. There are a pair of both on the bay now
Thanks for the reply mate.
I have no experience of Rega speakers so will have to google them.
Any other suggestions?
Cheers
Garry

larkone

Those Regas' have side firing subs in them so go pretty low, very fast and articulate speakers. If you like your speakers musical then you cannot go wrong with Regas. On my second pair having graduated from Juras to RS7s.

garrynic

Would you consider £500/pr speakers for Half-Price?

Wharfedale Diamond 230, 2x6.5" - £250/pr -

Wharfedale Diamond 230 Floor Standing Speakers (Pair) - Superfi

At that price, you could add a basic Subwoofer to the mix and be right on budget -

BK Electronics Subwoofers -

Sub Woofers - Sub Bass - Subwoofer

Gemini

XLS200-FF

An excellent bargain, and you would be luck to find the Diamond 230 in excellent condition for that price.

Steve/bluewizard
Hi Steve
Sorry for the late reply
I have been offered a pair of Monitor Audio Silver 8s that are used so I may be able to get them for about £600 so about half price.
I had a listen to the silver 6s last week and they demoed them side by side with some Kef R500 and some £1200 plus B&Ws .
In my opinion the silver 6s were much better than the other two brands, so I may take a punt on the 8s
Cheers
Garry

Don Dadda

Distinguished Member
They are rare on the s/h market so You will have a job finding a pair but if God is smiling on you- XTZ 99.36.

Good with films but outstanding with music.

EDIT: This chap who is a dealer of XTZ products may be able to help source a s/h pair.

Jag @ Epic Home Cinema

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom