1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recomendations for media streamer?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by gizmo_2005, Aug 4, 2005.

1. gizmo_2005

gizmo_2005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pinnacle Showcenter Vs D-LINK Wireless Media Lounge ???

Any other recomendations?

I want to stream Audio (MP3 & WMA) and Video MPEG1/MPEG2 AVI VOB etc to my Home Cinema.

I want digital audio out and on the video side Scart &/or component.

Thanks

Giz.

2. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    There has been a number of threads about this recently.
    My opinion - a modded xbox - £150 will do all you need, and you get a free games console.

lisa

3. Bimbeemer

Bimbeemer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    I got given the d-link one as a gift and I think it's bloomin great, the wireless isn't up to much so gave up on it and plugged it directly into my router and it works a treat, streaming music and films with no problems.

Menu is ok, nothing amazing but it's just so simple and the main thing is it's saved so much time and effort in burning tv shows/films to discs (encode and burn), now i can select any film or program on my hard drive with ease.

I think there's ways of tweaking it to get the wirless to perform better but I haven't bothered trying to open it up.

4. scumball

scumball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +410
    Soft mod a 2nd hand Xbox and you could do this easily for about £80 - from another thread I wrote
    Also you can enable component and HD output too like 720p & 1080i...

5. gizmo_2005

gizmo_2005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I already have an underused XBOX so I am tempted.

If its just a software mod I may give it a go. However the Showcenter and media lounge are both going for £110-£150, so I've still got some thinking to do.

Thanks to all for the advice.

Giz.

6. gizmo_2005

gizmo_2005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just found out that the showcenter requires a wireless PCMCIA card to work - which is not supplied. This bumps the true cost up from £130 to £150/£160. Plus there there is the additional aggravation of installing a wi-fi card (they say any wi-fi card can be used).

The D-link has got wi-fi already built in - with a bigger aeriel.

7. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    You will need a wireless bridge for the xbox if that is your intention, they are about £40 I think.... although a cable connection is much cheaper and more effective.

lisa

8. scumball

scumball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +410
    Get on the XBox forum and ask or PM [Luc] to borrow his softmod kit - it costs nothing and works amazingly (ask for the Soft Mod Installer v3 and Auto Installer Disk v2 that I sent to him). You can put everything back the way it was easily if you don't like it (literally 2-3 button presses)- but you will and if you've already got the XBox...it's free. The only reason to go for a Showcentre would be for HD MPEG / WMV-HD playback

9. gizmo_2005

gizmo_2005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just spotted the "Neuston Virtuoso MC500". This baby has DVI output. Its a little bit more expensive about £180, but I'm thinking future proofing (Plasma being next on the shopping list). Has anyone heard of it / anything about it?

Thanks

Giz.

10. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Never heard of Softmod but ...

You can also get a hardware mod for your xbox for about 35 nuggets plus the "Solderless" connector for around 10-15 quid. Then bung on your Wireless bridge 40 to 50 gold ones and your on a perfect winner. This little baby will meet ALL your wifi media streaming needs.

You will need to install Xbox Media Centre (XBMC) but this is free and looks really kewl. :thumbsup: As XBMC is software its always coming out with even more codecs ((De)coding "formats") allowing it to stay up to date with all the latest and greatest formats.

Oh ... You will probably want one of the variants of advanced scart/S-vid leads allowing ... S-Video and optical out for your Dolby.

Check out THIS thread for some more info and options.

Modded Xbox, its the only way to fly! :D

11. gizmo_2005

gizmo_2005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I couldn't hold out any longer, just ebayed myself a showcenter for £67.

Will probably upgrade to the "Neuston" in a few months when I get my HD Sky+ and Plasma (ok when I've saved a few pennies for it!).

Giz.