Recomendations for cheap portrait lighting setup

damo_in_sale

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I've got one flashgun which also works remotely on A B and C channels. I tend to bounce it off the ceiling when taking indoors snaps and the results are pretty good.

But if I ever get the chance to do a dedicated portrait or family portrait shoot where the subject(s) is posing for the camera (my kids, if they ever manage to stay still :)), I suspect I can do better with more lighting kit.

Has anyone got recomendations for cheap portrait lighting rigs e.g. umbrellas, stands, softboxes etc? I hear you can also get cheap flashes which actuate when they detect other flashes too.

Also, not sure what to do about backgrounds.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
How about something like this to work with your flash?

PhotoSEL SBSR8X12 80 x 120 cm Rectangular Softbox - S-Type Mount, for PhotoSEL / Bowens Studio Flash:Amazon.co.uk:Camera & Photo
Neewer S-Type Bracket Holder with Bowens Mount for Speedlite Flash Snoot Softbox Beauty Dish Reflector Umbrella:Amazon.co.uk:Camera & Photo
Photography Light Stand for professional photo studio photolamps:Amazon.co.uk:Camera & Photo

You can then use a simple reflector to lift the shadows if you want.
Neewer 43-Inch Portable Photographic Lighting Disc Reflector with Bag for Studio - Translucent/Gold/Silver/White/Black:Amazon.co.uk:Camera & Photo

This is all we used at a recent freebie Olympus tutorial I went on (although they used a studio light rather than flashgun) and I have to say I was really impressed with the results. Light was lovely and soft. I was surprised how close the softbox was to the subject too, probably less than 50cm. Apparently the closer the softbox the softer the light as it 'wraps round' more.
Olympus Photoshoot 2015
(Bear in mind this was a tutorial and we weren't trying to get the perfect shot, just moving the lighting around and taking a quick shot to see what the different results were ;))

As for backdrop you can get something cheap like this if you think it'll be big enough.
Adjustable Heavy duty Backdrop Support Stand Kit --Black , White Backdrop Screen + Background Support System + 3x Backdrop Clamps + Carry bag-Photo Studio Photography Set- Photo Studio Background Stand Support Kit:Amazon.co.uk:Camera & Photo

The other way round it is if your room's big enough for the subject to be a decent distance from the wall then light your subject with the flash and underexpose the background.

Last edited:
Thread hijack alert ;)

I've also recently been looking at cheap lighting for some home 'studio' work. Whilst I'd love to do portraits I don't have a willing model so for me it will be mainly product stuff. I've seen this setup on amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B010V4OZ...lid=2PIJAE5D1ZZT1&coliid=I3FLQ3SK4ZMPPK&psc=1

Whilst I know that the quality won't be great I think it will be good enough, at least to start with. Question is it doesn't look as though you can change the intensity of the lighting, is this going to be an issue or can I quite easily adapt changing exposure settings and light to subject distance? Would I be better off just having a softbox and using my speedlight? I only have one flash at the mo so would need to invest in a second at some stage. For now I could just get a better quality softbox such as that in my post above (#3) and reflector to get light from both sides. The 'issue' with this setup up is that by time I've bought the softbox, stand, clamp, backdrop, reflector it'll work out £45-50 more than the kit above :rolleyes: Plus then at some point I'd like to buy another flash and softbox :eek:

Any help appreciated.

Thread hijack alert ;)

I've also recently been looking at cheap lighting for some home 'studio' work. Whilst I'd love to do portraits I don't have a willing model so for me it will be mainly product stuff. I've seen this setup on amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B010V4OZ...lid=2PIJAE5D1ZZT1&coliid=I3FLQ3SK4ZMPPK&psc=1

Whilst I know that the quality won't be great I think it will be good enough, at least to start with. Question is it doesn't look as though you can change the intensity of the lighting, is this going to be an issue or can I quite easily adapt changing exposure settings and light to subject distance? Would I be better off just having a softbox and using my speedlight? I only have one flash at the mo so would need to invest in a second at some stage. For now I could just get a better quality softbox such as that in my post above (#3) and reflector to get light from both sides. The 'issue' with this setup up is that by time I've bought the softbox, stand, clamp, backdrop, reflector it'll work out £45-50 more than the kit above :rolleyes: Plus then at some point I'd like to buy another flash and softbox :eek:

Any help appreciated.

Why continuous lighting?

Why continuous lighting?
Because it's cheap :laugh: And also I've just watched this which appears to use continuous light (although I could be wrong ;))

Because it's cheap :laugh: And also I've just watched this which appears to use continuous light (although I could be wrong ;))

Looks like modelling light to me. Some studio flash heads have it.

Is it just to take random pics of stuff round the house then to get dumped and never used again?

"Blind Leading Blind...." :D

Looks like modelling light to me. Some studio flash heads have it.

Is it just to take random pics of stuff round the house then to get dumped and never used again?
Probably :laugh:

I thought modeling lights tended to be continuous lighting ? :blush:

This?

top_10_umbrella8.jpg

I thought modeling lights tended to be continuous lighting ? :blush:

They are, but the modelling lights are for visualising, good continuous costs a fair amount and you need a lot more power than with regular flashes.

If you want continuous, get a couple of these, hang some sheets in front of em, job done :p

400w each, £12 a pop.

Screen Shot 2015-12-04 at 12.20.35.png

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
@damo_in_sale

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Photography...=1449232005&sr=8-1&keywords=konig+light+stand

86cm Photo Soft Shoot-through Umbrella Flash Mount Hotshoe Holder Swivel Bracket

If you dont have triggers set your flash/es to slave and trigger with the GM1 pop up pointing to the ceiling. Also, look at another cheap manual flash (yongnuo / Neewer etc.) for a 2 flash setup.
Are those brollies better than a softbox? Other than the different shaped catchlight are there any pros and cons of each?

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
@snerkler Both are good, (various) brollies are cheap if you want to spend as little as possible ;). Also check out Octabox / beauty dish etc. if you get bored.

@snerkler Both are good, (various) brollies are cheap if you want to spend as little as possible ;). Also check out Octabox / beauty dish etc. if you get bored.
Just wanting to learn about lighting and get a bit more creative really, but obviously it's just for a bit of fun rather than anything serious. Looking at the studio lights they seem to be a cheaper option than an extra speedlight and probably better for the job. Trouble is you start off looking at cheap options and by the time you're done you're looking at setups that're going to cost £200+. Damn this forum :laugh:

Just wanting to learn about lighting and get a bit more creative really, but obviously it's just for a bit of fun rather than anything serious. Looking at the studio lights they seem to be a cheaper option than an extra speedlight and probably better for the job. Trouble is you start off looking at cheap options and by the time you're done you're looking at setups that're going to cost £200+. Damn this forum :laugh:

Err no, another cheap decent flash will cost you up to £40 and Ive posted brollie links with adapters.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom