1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recomendations for a Plasma

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by AudioSlim, Dec 28, 2004.

1. AudioSlim

AudioSlim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Hi All

Could you just throw a few options at me please.
    I'm looking for a plamsa that is good for SKY+ HD (when it lands, have they sorted spec out yet?) but also will take a PC input and at decent res's as well. Not too well up on the whole res scenario with plasmas but if they do have native res's then Whatever x 1024 would be the requirement.
    I'm after the cheapest 42" (or even 50" for ideas) but that has a good picture, no point spending that sort of money and getting a ropey picture.

Thanks all

Slim

2. madasahat

madasahat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    go for a hitachi 42pd5200 a cracking screen with a brilliant picture :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

3. grahamtriggs

grahamtriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Yes, the specs for Sky HD are sorted - they are:
    720p and 1080i (broadcaster choice)
    50hz
    DVI-HDCP or HDMI connection

At Xx1024 resolution, you are looking at an ALiS panel, NONE of which are suitable for Sky HD.

The Hitachi does not do 720p@50hz via DVI/HDMI (IIRC), and at 1080i it cuts off the top and bottom of the picture.

Your options are the LG 42PX12X, or Pioneer PDP-435XDE, possibly the NEC 42XR3, all of which have 1024x768 resolutions. The LG is by far the cheapest of the bunch, the Pioneer the most expensive. All of them can give good results, but it has to be your choice as to what works for you. Alternatively, you have the choice of 50inch screens from the same manufacturers.

4. theo cupier

theo cupier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    Posted at the same time as Grahamtriggs who put it so much better, so I've deleted my comments :oops:

5. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Many plasmas can't handle 50Hz HDTV, which is not surprising, since the panels were developed for the American market. Just because a panel will accept a HDTV signal, it does not make it a HDTV. If you were to tune a car engine to run on aviation fuel, it would not make it capable of flight.

6. grahamtriggs

grahamtriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    No - most panels can handle 50hz high resolution signals - but only via analogue inputs.

Specs for HD services require digital inputs with HDCP protection - that's where the problem lies, supporting the required resolutions over the required inputs. There is no excuse for it, just stupidity / short-sightedness / greed on the part of the manufacturers.

7. AudioSlim

AudioSlim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Thx for the fast replys and off too check the options out.

Thx Slim