1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recomendation

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by matblack, Dec 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. matblack

matblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi Guys

I am currently running 2x KEF Q30s 1x KEF Q95 2x KEF Crestas (rears) and until today a KEF PSW2000 sub. Unfortunately the sub has died :thumbsdow and rather then get it fixed I'm thinking its upgrade time :thumbsup:

I need something reasonably priced £250 absolute max and which is reasonably wife friendly (the old KEF lived under an IKEA coffee table).

I am running a Tosh 330 DVD & Marantz 42000 amp

Also this is going to be sitting on bare pine floorboards, the old 2000 used to sit on a concreate tile to keep everything tight. Dont know of some units would be more suitable than others for this application?

The set up is used mostly for TV (sky) and DVD movies and less often for music.

Thanks in advance

MB

Edit So far I have found the KEF 2500 (high WAF) and BK XLS200 (appears to have more punch)

2. iaria

iaria
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Matblack, if you could go a little bit more you could get the BK XLS200, and it will defenatly go under the coffe table
    Gerry

3. matblack

matblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10

:D

I was just posting about the BK, it does sound like a good unit, better than the PSW2000?

Cheers

MB

4. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    The BK is marginally better with sound than the Kef PSW2500 but doesn't have the attractive oval shape. Have a look at the Budget Sub Test Sticky at the top of this forum and see what you think. The MS309 is very cheap at Peter Tysons at the moment and is an absolute steal :)

5. matblack

matblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks I've been reading the sticky a lot and trawling the net for reviews. Don't know how I'm going to survive without a sub :( I'll have to switch the Q30s back up to large to take the strain for the time being.

As I mentioned the sub will go under a small coffee table (between mine and the wife's recliners), the PSW2000 just fitted under there. The PSW2500 won't fit under (too wide) but its a bit too low to use a a coffee table itself :mad: so if the BK is just as good I might as well go with that and keep the table, the difference in cost between the BK & MS309 isn't an issue, is the MS309 a better speaker?

Also if I go with the BK would the down or forward firing be better with bare pine floorboards?

Thanks

MB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.