1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recomendation for DVD-R Media ?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by RecordablDVDfan, Dec 23, 2003.

1. RecordablDVDfan

RecordablDVDfan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    I put in a bulkpaq DVD-R orange disk hit record and the E50 locked up after a minute and so I had to switch off / switch on again. Then I got the msg this disk is not supported or words similar

Which makes work fine 100% ? I have a Verbatim DVD-R with stuff rec from another E50 and this plays fine..

2. numskull

numskull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've found that "ONE" DVD-R disks made by Datasafe from here to work perfectly in our E50 - at 60p each these are good value.

3. RecordablDVDfan

RecordablDVDfan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Thanks. Great price but mad postage puts me off ;-( I only want 2 or 3 to test / try at the most for now...

4. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Try a quality disc with Ritek G04 dye.

5. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    aviod bulkpaq like the plague

I found that the cheaper discs are getting worse, even the ritek based ones

I just sent 100 datasafe ritek ones back nearly all failed

as lynx say don't go too cheap, it isn't worth it

6. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +721
    The Ritek G03 and G04 discs are good discs, its just that the Panasonic machines are unusual in not liking them. So don't risk it... you'll end up wasting perfectly good discs as I did.
    If you burn them in a PC they'll play back fine in almost anything and last longer. I almost sent mine back, but I've kept them and
    archived my RAM recordings via PC to them.

I've found the best disc to use on my Panasonic E60 is the datawrite classic grey (x2 speed)..... and I've tried loads of varying discs in large numbers. They're cheap too at around £12 for 25.
    Don't assume that other datawrites are the same, they're all different.
    e.g. the red top (x4 speed) burn and finalise ok, but if you don't do it all at once they fail. They also scratch easily and don't work too well in quite a few different machines.

Stick with Ritek on the PC and Datawrite Classic Grey's on your Panasonic and you'll be fine.
    Once I stuck with this formula, I've been able to burn over 100 discs and not 1 coaster!

7. RecordablDVDfan

RecordablDVDfan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    You're keen! What are you burning dare I ask ?! http://www.blankdiscshop.co.uk/ have a good range of DVD-R and 9.4GB RAM disks I notice. I've ordered one of these as UK Horizons are repeating Jan 4th all 8 eps of Billy Connelly's World Tour of Australia. Great to have the whole series on 1 disk etc.

8. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +721
    I've suprised my self how many discs I've needed to burn, but it's saved me a fortune.

I've collected nearly 200 episodes of friends upto and including series 8, as these have been broadcasted on E4 every night for last few months. They would have cost me over £500, but 50 blank discs only cost around £30. Bargain!

Also been recording loads of the old comedies on UK Gold for my Parents, the odd film and a few home movies made with my Sony camcorder... including my brothers wedding which had to be copied over and over for all our relatives.

My disc usage will probably remain high over Christmas after which it will probably slow down.
    But by then, the Panasonic will have easily justified it's purchase.
    How did I ever live without it?

9. numskull

numskull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wel, it's still 60p for 50 disks INCLUDING postage, or they do a "Test" pack of 7 various discs for £6.35 inc postage:clap:

10. kirk grubb

kirk grubb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Jules,
    Where do you buy your classic grey dvd-r from?
    I had a look at big pockets.co.uk and came across datawrite classic gen x2 at £13.50 for 25 (are they the classic greys ?), about to purchase them but final price was £19.50.Surely not £6 for delivery?
    Cheers

11. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +721
    Kirk,
    Yes, those are the ones.

I got mine from here but they've sold out at the moment.

I paid £11.75 for 25 and paid £4 postage.
    Obviously the more you order at once the better as you only pay postage once. Buy a shed load and it makes more sense.

Anyway, even at £19 it's worth it......still cheaper than Riteks and unlike the Riteks, the Panasonic loves 'em.

12. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

series 1-7 can be had for just over £20 each so not quite £500 ;)

but you are right recording TV series I would have bought has saved me a fortune. You obviously get the new series on dvd straight away.

I now have almost every season of Seinfeld on disc which amazingly is not available on dvd

As for useage going down after xmas. I doubt it. We will have some great new shows like Nip/Tuck. The handler.

All the big shows are back too 24 / CSI / Friends etc

The new channel FX looks superb. It is showing X-Files / Shield / NYPD Blue etc all from the start

Thank heavens for dual record

back to discs. I only every had 1 failure in 200 discs from the old tubs of 50 yellow datawrite.