Recomendation DVD's to demo Amp

briandzo

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Ive just got my new kit setup.
What movies are good for demonstrating my gear.
u know the ones that really exploit the sound.

i watched 'the matrix' last night and it was brilliant.
ive also got gladiator in my collection.

i just want to know what other users feel are great films
that really get your amp working.

i have a 5.1 setup.

thanks

Brian.

Imax Super Speedway
T2- the whole movie!
SPR, intro and Panzer Tank scene
Das Boot
Jurrassic Park
Blues Brothers

What about Blade 2 :cool:

:hiya:

Saving Private Ryan - intro
The Phantom Menace - pod race sequence
Gladiator - desert caravan scene
The Fifth Element - Diva Scene:smashin:

The entire Fast & The Furious DVD will give all 5.1 speakers of your system a sustained workout.

The battle scenes from We Were Soldiers and Windtalkers plus the big set pieces from Behind Enemy Lines are good for showing off front to rear/rear to front pans and steering generally.

Attack of the Clones is one of the best films to show off you audio hardware. Others are:
Fight Club
Seven
Apocalypse Now
Black Hawk Down
Apollo 13
Superman

Think I will watch The Blues Brothers tonight now.

The big initial battle with the Germans in "Gladiator" is good. Funnily enough, I find the thing that most distinguishes good hardware from bad is the part when the sounds of battle fade down behind some adagio music played on the strings. Wind forward from there a little bit for some scenes with dialogue.

The opening sequence of "Monsters, Inc" is also good - include the title music and play up to the point where the boss says "I need scarers like... like... James P Sullivan".

Oh, and the opening sequence from Toy Story 2.

fellowship of the ring (extended) in DTS - its best soundstage i've ever heard. awesome!!

Gary

The pod racing seen from The Phantom Menace is always a good one to use.

Lots of left to right,front to back panning of the sound. Also will give your sub a good workout too!

All of the above, plus:

Minority Report DTS - beautiful sound design by Gary "The Master" Rydstrom - check out those pulse guns!

The Haunting DTS - Awful film but Gary strikes again with some insane LFE action.

So basically anything mixed by Gary Rydstrom!

P.S. He's doing the sound for The Hulk, ooo looking forward to that now!:smashin:

I have over 1000 DVD's & can safely say the best films ive got for sound quality are :-

Saving Private Ryan
Monsters Inc
Toy Story 2
Matrix ("Dodge This" is Excellent for setting your speaker distances too)

Im sure no-one on here would disagree !

Good luck, enjoy your demo-ing

(Note: many soundtracks are better in DTS but not all, dont be fooled into upgrading your system just for DTS as it wont stop there - God I know !!)

Lee

XXX (Triple X)
The Sum of All Fears
K-19: The Widowmaker
Speed
A.I. - Artificial Intelligence
Swordfish
Moulin Rouge
Titanic

from pete

Bad Boys
Die Hard Trilogy
The Rock
Independence Day

....To name just a few.....

Thanks for all Contributions,
The on order list has taken a hit this weekend.

Thanks

Brian.

The One DD5.1 - One of the best DD5.1 mixes i've heard.

XXX DD5.1 - Another excellent DD 5.1 with Plenty of base.

Blade DD5.1 Night Club scene.

Taxi 2 DD5.1 - Any scenes with The Taxi in.

Heat DD5.1 - Bank Hiest Shoot out and the end airport scene.

Predator DTS - Camp attack scene.

The Matrix DD5.1 - Lobby scene and the scene where Neo dodges the Bullits.

Brave Heart DD5.1 - End BattleScene

Gladiator DTS - Fight with the chariots

Castaway DD5.1 - Plane Crashing into the Sea and the island scenes have lots of nice rear effects.

Forrest Gump DD5.1 - Vietnam Battle

Apocolypse Now DD5.1 - Death from above scene(Chapter 7). The remaster is great, You'd think it's charlie sheen until you read the date of the movie

Apollo 13 DTS - The launch scene.WOW. When this rocket takes off, head for cover. Seriously, because pieces of the ceiling may start falling in because of the intensity of the BASS in this scene. The DTS and spacial effects are fabulous.

Black Hawk Down DD5.1 - The Whole Movie

Godzilla DD5.1 - When Godzile comes too the Town theirs plenty of LFE and super use of surrounds.

Ronin DD5.1 - Car chase

Top Gun DD5.1 - Dog fight

U571 DTS - Depth Charge Scene + Sub Woofer =:eek: :clap:

Hope that helps.:smashin:

Also Face off Chapter 28.

Tomorrow Never Dies has an excellent sound mix, lots of LFE & surround action.
Although it doesn't appear to be too popular a Bond episode with a lot of people I thinks it's one of Brosnans best :smashin:

Cheers, Paul

Hi, id like to say, i totally agree with all the films so far suggested, ie..GLADIATOR & PHANTOM MENACE ETC....but here's a few i think you may like to put to the test...COYOTE UGLY, (dts r1 ), EAGLES HELL FREEZES OVER (dts r1) 1st track hotel california, KYLIE (dts) & ROY ORBISON black & whitenight ( especially pretty woman.... the base line is awesome) !!!! It may not be to everyone's taste but my fiancee & i really enjoy these dvd's as well as the full on action films:smashin:

Hi, id like to say, i totally agree with all the films so far suggested, ie..GLADIATOR & PHANTOM MENACE ETC....but here's a few i think you may like to put to the test...COYOTE UGLY, (dts r1 ), EAGLES HELL FREEZES OVER (dts r1) 1st track hotel california, KYLIE (dts) & ROY ORBISON black & whitenight ( especially pretty woman.... the base line is awesome) !!!! It may not be to everyone's taste but my fiancee & i really enjoy these dvd's as well as the full on action films:smashin:

Titan A.E pretty much the whole movie but especially chapter 11 "In The Ice Ring" now if that doesn't bring a smile to your face nothing will :smashin:

If you want I good test play the scene in Spider-Man where Norman Osborn is talking to himself, his voice travels all over the room.

Also only just got a proper 5.1/6.1 surround amp and on played Living Daylights and though the soundtrack nothing special, but on playing the first 2 chapters of Licence to Kill I found the sound track is full of effect.

The first 15 minutes or so of Master and Commander is very good

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom