Recomendation 5.1 HT

matecro007

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi, new to this forum and audio world.
I could use recomendation for av recievers and speakers.
I would like to use this setup for movies/music/pc gaming.
So far my room is very small about 10m2 but in the future i am going to move to a little bit larger room 15-20m2. I was thinking of future proofing my setup and getting a louder speakers than ordinary pc speaker.

This was my list for 4k tv/60hz

denon x1700h or denon x2600h.

wharedale diamond 230,220c, 210

polk s50e,s30e,s10e, sub hts10

boston cs 260 II,cs 225 II,cs 26

monoprice 5.1.2 ( i would have to wait for that one since is not available in europe right now)

premade setup denon x2600h+polk signature s50e,s30e,s10e

It can be a mixed manufacturer also.
Budget would be max 1500 euros.

Last edited:
Monoprice Monolith would allow you to to run 5.1.4 and the THX range will be back in stock next month and the brand new Encore range that they announced this week.

Monoprice Monolith would allow you to to run 5.1.4 and the THX range will be back in stock next month and the brand new Encore range that they announced this week.

way to high price for me, thanks for the reply. Also cant buy anything from UK cuz of import taxes.

The Encore range should fit for you then, although i dont think they have heights for atmos as an option.

Monoprice is available in Europe too.

www.monoprice.eu

Fyi there is no import duty on Speakers in or out of the UK or Europe, just the stupid new VAT tax rules.

Hi, new to this forum and audio world.
I could use recomendation for av recievers and speakers.
I would like to use this setup for movies/music/pc gaming.
So far my room is very small about 10m2 but in the future i am going to move to a little bit larger room 15-20m2. I was thinking of future proofing my setup and getting a louder speakers than ordinary pc speaker.

This was my list for 4k tv/60hz

denon x1700h or denon x2600h.

wharedale diamond 230,220c, 210

polk s50e,s30e,s10e, sub hts10

boston cs 260 II,cs 225 II,cs 26

monoprice 5.1.2 ( i would have to wait for that one since is not available in europe right now)

premade setup denon x2600h+polk signature s50e,s30e,s10e

It can be a mixed manufacturer also.
Budget would be max 1500 euros.

Is the X2600H still available in Croatia as it`s old model from 2019? The main difference to X2700H is the hdmi 2.1 board on the 2020 model. However that isn´t necessarily required even if you are gamer as you can connect the new gaming console direct to your tv if it has hdmi 2.1 connection and you get sound via eARC. What are the prices for X1600H / X2600H / 1700H / 2700H there? If you get some of those much cheaper with warranty then i would lean toward that. Also Yamaha RX-V6A would be fine choice.

I think the Encore range is what you should be considering from Monoprice with your budget (at least front three), just need to ask when they come to EU site.

You don´t need floorstanding speakers necessarily, make sure you aren`t compromising the system with cheaper subwoofer just to get floorstanders which you wouldn´t be even running full range. Example the Encore B6 from Monoprice, Wharfedale Diamond 225, Polk S20e would be good enough as main speakers for the size of room you have later on. There is also other brands like Elac Debut B6.2 (with C6.2), Dali Oberon 3, Monitor Audio Bronze 50 or 100 etc. Of course some cheap 60cm tall speaker stands are required with the bookshelf speakers at front. I would look some used options too for pocket money when you know which speakers you buy. Just look the top plate size (width and depth) vs speaker.

Make sure you get good quality subwoofer. Steer away from speaker manufacturer "package" subwoofers (HTS-10 etc) which won´t give you what you are looking for plus the warranty is shorter so it may come more expensive in long run. My money would go either of these two, the Monoprice will give you more impact generally being ported model, but the SVS is more compact and shouldn´t disappoint you either.

PS. If you have the money on hand, after two week time start contacting dealers and also send email to Monoprice EU asking when they will release Black Friday deals (subwoofer 10" THX). That is when i would pull the plug as you should be getting best deal on 26.11!

Thanks for the reply, you did some research. Well that reciever was listed in available then soon , out of stock. So x2700h is available for 568 euros as is yamaha rx6a in that price range and that is too much for my pocket. So probably its gonna be a x1700h which is 630 euros( might get it a little cheaper also)

I did ask monoprice when will US product be available in EU , they said to check back in 3months. But still those encore models are still too expensive for me.

Room later on would be about 15-20m2, so i would rather get larger speakers cuz I wouldnt upgrade it later. So it will be a lifetime speakers.
Found some deals for those wharfedale 230 and 220c. They are 440 euros/pair and 200 euros for 220c. I asked my friend who know a lot more than me he said that a good deal for them and I should take it. He also offered me a pair of used Boston acoustics cr6 for 65 euros as satellites. They were repaired and fully functioning.
As for boston cs260 II are 290 euros a pair
Polk s50e 465 euros a pair
I am aiming more on wharfedale model because of low price.

Those subs you linked are way too strong for a small room and above my budget. I read that they are quality subs, but really cant afford those.
Gotta ask is it better to get active sub or passive? example: active subs are rated at lower watts(75) at price of passive sub which is higher watts(150)
I am afraid a passive sub would drain all the power from reciever.
Apart from polk hts10 , didnt see an ok sub for that price. monoprice 8 inch sub is 137euros , could that be a better choice? or wharfedale Diamond 10.SX-SUB for 300 euros?
I also got an offer for a used basso 840 indiana line active sub
75 watt nominal power
125 watt max power.

I will wait for black friday price , and maybe something comes up.

Last edited:
Yes the Wharfedales are cheap as they are old models from 2015. You should really have a listen if you can. Lot of people say they are warm quite laid back non tiring sound, great for music listening but maybe bit too "safe" for action/scifi movies if you like more forward sound. The Polk Signature range should be great option, could you listen them? Just don´t pick the slim center channel S35. S30 is better. Well made and the cabinets are one of the bests in this price range.. Should sound very neutral. There is zillion threads on AVSForum and on Reddit for them.

Neither of those subs would be too large for your current room or the next one. Don`t look the watts, they are not as important as you may think as we can`t judge the product with just them.

You need active subwoofer. You can´t connect passive sub to those receivers. We are living year 2021, not 80-90s anymore. :) Link me the shops you can deal with i will look what they have available. Those are pure junk what you wrote. We need to find more money for better sub. Keep in mind when you run the setup with the receiver it will sound very balanced and you are in control how loud it plays so it`s wrong to assume certain size or wattages would be automatically too much in X room. That is not the case.

If you think you want future proofed with larger speakers, the same applies with subwoofer. The room size doubles so look the best (largest) you can afford cause the ones you have to buy are often high tuned ported subs meaning they can`t play that low so you are missing lots of fun stuff (deep bass). Polk HTS-12 is likely one of the better low budget subs, personally i wouldn`t consider anything smaller for your system or you will regret it later!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom