Recomend me a car and is low mileage more important than age?

Discussion in 'Motoring' started by tony kop77, May 2, 2007.

1. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    I need a car as my Polo costs more than it is worth to have it fixed and got around 4 to grand to spend.
    I have always wanted a Volkswagon Golf but the Seat Ibiza and Reanault Megane VVT also look nice.

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/ww...category=CARS&channel=CARS&id=200718282426738

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/ww...=0&ukcarsearch_full.x=24&ukcarsearch_full.y=7

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/ww...category=CARS&channel=CARS&id=200711274708141

I have posted links to the sort of body style I like, which of the 3 manufactuers would you recomend or is there any others that are better value and should I be put off spending so much money on a 6 or 7 year old car or should I just look at the mileage?

2. Howard0000

Howard0000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Try and get as new as possible. The VWs in your links will probably be a tad more reliable than the Renault, but they're both far better value than the Ibiza, it's a smaller, slower car with probably less kit than the other two. You could also consider a Leon? Or maybe a Skoda Octavia? Essentially the same car as the Golf but cheaper due to badge snobbery :)

3. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    I am prepared to spend up to 6k if it is realy nice. I was going to be tight and not spend much on a car but better spending a bit more and keep it a few more years than buying something cheap and not get nothing back after 3 or 4 years.

4. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    Some high mileage cars can be a good deal - if they are only a couple of years old and have been fully serviced (basically rep mobiles) then you can be on to a winner. 50K motorway miles is a lot less stress than stop start city centre motoring for 15K miles.

If you want more reliability I'd stay away from French cars and go Japanese. Hondas and Toyotas are generally bulletproof. Most car surveys seem to have French and Italian makes welded to the bottom of the list.

Or check out some of the Korean models from Hyundai or Kia as they offer 5 year warranties. (but you might not like this idea if you're after a 'badge' on the bonnet)

5. andyr300

andyr300

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    skoda fabia would be a good buy

6. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    I bought a Hyundi Coupe 2.0 in the end. I bought one on a 02 plate from car shop warehouse for 6k although it has dont 80k miles and I paid £300 fo a yea warrenty on it.
    I just wanted to know if Hyundi Coupe's ae considered to be reliable and good cars and did I get a good deal.