Recomend a soundcard for pc to be connected to av receiver

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by Scoop007, Apr 27, 2007.

1. Scoop007

Scoop007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hi,

Was just wondering if anyone could recomend a soundcard for my pc (or even specs to look for). I will be connecting it to a denon 1507 av reciever via optical cable preferably, so that i can watch movies in dolby digital.

Thanks in advance :)

2. a4lloxo

a4lloxo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +127
    hi id look at the creative x-fi series,think they start from around the £35 mark.

3. xxxx

xxxx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    You don't need anything more than a Trust SC5250 at under £15 to do this job perfectly, as long as you are running XP or Vista.

Use these drivers instead of the official ones and you will get bit-perfect pass-through, which is all you need.

4. nogg

nogg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I read somewhere that the botton of the range one has the same chip as the Audigy, and that you should buy one of the slightly better ones.

5. xxxx

xxxx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    If you intend using the SPDIF output on any of these cards to connect to a DD amp then the quality of the card is irrelevant. All you need to be sure of is that it does bit-perfect pass-through.

6. skillian97

skillian97

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Exactly. If you have a decent AV amp you want to let the card do as little processing as possible, so as long as it will do bit-perfect pass-through, the card itself makes absolutely no difference.

7. Scoop007

Scoop007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hi again,

Thanks for the responses, am soooo glad i dont have to go and spend loads on a soundcard!

Phil.

8. stegalv

stegalv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    hi,i was looking for a soundcard to connect to my amp using optical,but i could'nt find one that carried a 5.1 signal.
    i bought a cheapish card which i was advised to buy,but it only carried a stereo signal through optical,and only had 5.1 through analogue output.
    so do the cards mentioned in this thread definiteley carry 5.1 through the optical out.

9. xxxx

xxxx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    See my post number three.

10. stegalv

stegalv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    thanks xxxx. the 15 quid soundcard i bought has the cmedia cmi 8738/8768 chipset,and the driver you have linked to,but in the environment setup i can only get stereo coming out of the speakers.
    any advice would be appreciated

11. xxxx

xxxx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I'll assume that you have installed the cmedia replacement drivers correctly and removed the original ones.

Run the driver setup and adjust the settings as seen in the attached screen grabs.

You don't say what programme you are using to play back your files on but whatever it is you will need to select "Cmedia Wave Device" or something similar as the audio output device, and you may also need to check a "use SPDIF" checkbox.

If you have AC3Filter installed you will need to set that to "use SPDIF" "pass-through" and "output as is" for DD and DTS.

Attached Files:

12. stegalv

stegalv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    thanks for getting back,my setup is exactly the same as your screengrabs.the sound environment i used to test the sound output is a programme that came with the card,
    the cmedia device is selected as the audio ouput device.
    i hav'nt actually tried any 5.1 files(what is the best playback programme to use).i have just been using the setup environment to test,sending sounds to each speaker,but as i said it only sends sounds to the front 3.

13. xxxx

xxxx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    You probably need to uninstall the original drivers. I'm surprised the replacement cmedia driver package didn't suggest doing this: it did for me.

Once you are only running the replacement drivers you will need to select SPDIF in whatever software you are using (Media Player Classic is straightforward enough to begin with, the free version of Zoomplayer is also good though more complex) and you may need to select "wave device" as the output.

I doubt that the test tones from the original driver setup would work correctly over SPDIF anyway.

14. Eraserhead

Eraserhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    any digital connection: optical or coaxial is the same good. Differences are of practical nature and have to do with length of available cables. Just mentioning this because you do not necessarily need optical out - some good sound cards come with only coaxial out and this is perfectly fine.

Quality of sound card matters even if all you need is the digital pass through - some cheap cards may have bad jitter and poor driver support.

15. xxxx

xxxx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Couldn't agree more. I use both optical and coax on my system, and both are as good as each other.

Here I agree much less. As long as the drivers allow for bit-perfect pass-through (with bit-perfect being the operative word) it should make no difference either way.

It should be mentioned (and indeed I did mention it above) that many cheap cards when used wih the supplied drivers do pass-through but not bit-perfect pass-through. The Trust card is a good example of this. With the right drivers (not those supplied by Trust) the card is excellent and does the job perfectly. With the original Trust drivers it is a half-a*sed bodge.

16. rocher

rocher
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm interested in this card. Can you please tell me :
    a) Can the coax and optical out be used at the same time, or is it a case of only using one at a time?
    b) where you can get it for under £15!!
    Thanks

17. xxxx

xxxx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
  18. hughwi

hughwi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    damn, that is rather annoying, i have just grabbed what i thought was a bargain off ebay (a new M-Audio Delta 44) and was just popping in here to see what people thought of it, and i come across this, which is exactly what i needed! ah well, thats life. I might grab one and see what it is like anyway, i mean its hardly alot of £££

19. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143

that card doesnt upsample analogue 5.1 into 5.1DD. it will passthru 5.1DD and DTS to an external amp though:) in otherwords, try some 5.1 movies and it shoudl be fine:)

20. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    is there a card that will pass through 5.1 for films from dvd and hd downloads (sopranos etc) and games ? as my basic grasp (i cant stress BASIC enough) leads me to believe you need the 3 3.5mm jacks to 2 phono cabless connected to your direct ins on a amp to get 5.1 from a game.is that right ?

21. xxxx

xxxx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    All cards with SPDIF output will pass through (maybe not bit-perfect) data like DD5.1, DTS etc. Nothing special needed there.

But fancy games with fancy surround sound generate it in the PC and so SPDIF pass-through won't work. For that you need to either encode the sound into something that SPDIF will pass (ie get a sound card with built-in DD5.1 encoding) or use 5/6 analogue leads.

The principle is much the same for HD sound: SPDIF won't carry it.

22. mac_monkey

mac_monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Can anyone confirm these drivers work in the VISTA Ultimate version of MCE. I've just managed to break my x-plosion so I'm looking for a replacement. I only need digital COAX/optical as I'm going to go for a separate external HD-DVD/B-Ray source so I don't need the analogue out.

:lease:

PS Reading the drivers page am I right in thinking that bit-perfect can only be achieved using a S/PDIF (optical) connection? Or will coax work to?

23. xxxx

xxxx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    There is no MCE version of Vista. It's all just Vista, but the "Ultimate" package has a MCE-like GUI strapped on. It's still just plain Vista underneath though.

These drivers support Vista and so there should be no problem.

SPDIF is both coax and optical. Both work fine with these drivers.

24. Austinhead

Austinhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have read this post with interest as we are currently looking to setup a PC downstairs with a library of MP3's, DVD's and so on. I will be buying a new AV amp and some new speakers to go along with this.

Was very interested in the trust until i read it would not carry HD ?. Have I misunderstood or are you saying that the output signal does not support HD ?, and if not, do you have any recommendations on a sound car which will do this ?

Thanks.

25. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    spdif doesnt carry hd. it simply doesnt have the bandwidth required. for hd audio you're going to need a hdmi connection or analogue ouputs on a soundcard