Quantcast

recomend a GPU for my Dell Optiplex 980

rampant

Hi all,

i have got a Dell Optiplex 980, spec is as follows:

Intel Core i7 870 @2.93Ghz
8GB memory
Windows 7 64bit

The power supply is only 305 watts and has no molex connector on, so it needs to be one that doesnt draw much power or require a separate power.

I currently have a GeForce 9500 GS (dont laugh :) with 512mb ram on board.

I am looking at replacing the card, i am playing SWKOTR at 1280*1024, but would like to crank up the resolution to 1920*1080 and be able to play the game (rather than play in jerko-vision!)

Money wise i would like to keep well below £100 - if i could get away with a £30 card then this would be great :smashin:

Habanos

The Radeon HD 6670 only requires power from the motherboard, no additional power cable is needed. I think the 67xx cards need additional power.

Not sure about the nVidia cards.

I don't know how well they would perform in that game. The 6670 is going to be faster than your 9500GS, but whether it's fast enough to do 1920x1080 I don't know.

Last edited:

LJx

true the 6670 GDDR5 is the fastest card that doesn't need extra power, then there is the 5670 GDDR5 which is a little slower and costs a bit less too.

rampant

The motherboard has a non-standard mini molex power connector this makes it more difficult to update :(

The optiplex are designed as a business machine rather than a gaming machine :(

Sinbadio

Novice Member
hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1538917

Try having a look through this forum, there are a few solutions in it that may be able to help. Also just to pet you know that the 16x lane is only wired at 4x.

rampant

hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1538917

Try having a look through this forum, there are a few solutions in it that may be able to help. Also just to pet you know that the 16x lane is only wired at 4x.
yea i looked on there - just dont want to be modding the power supply so would rather stick with gfx cards that would work as it on it.

cheers

rampant

ive bought a 5570 1GB PCI-e from the classifieds ... according to the passmark website - it has double the performance of th 9500 GS :) - so should get a better gaming experience, as its like playing in jerk-o-vision!

shadowboxer

Great choice. A second hand 5770 is a great card for the money. Enjoy.

rampant

Great choice. A second hand 5770 is a great card for the money. Enjoy.
hehe - i can now play swtor on full resolution with no jerk-o-vision! (1920 * 1080)

i get a bit of slowdown when there is lots and lots on the screen, but generally exceptionally good!

GAZBEROTTEN

Hi all,

i have got a Dell Optiplex 980, spec is as follows:

Intel Core i7 870 @2.93Ghz
8GB memory
Windows 7 64bit

The power supply is only 305 watts and has no molex connector on, so it needs to be one that doesnt draw much power or require a separate power.

I currently have a GeForce 9500 GS (dont laugh :) with 512mb ram on board.

I am looking at replacing the card, i am playing SWKOTR at 1280*1024, but would like to crank up the resolution to 1920*1080 and be able to play the game (rather than play in jerko-vision!)

Money wise i would like to keep well below £100 - if i could get away with a £30 card then this would be great :smashin:
This may do you

OcUK GeForce GT 520 1024MB GDDR3 Low Profile PCI-Express Graphics Card []