Recoding an AV Source with AV500 - Possible?

dergizzle

Standard Member
Hey guys,

sorry to stumble in here like that, but googling didn't find me any decent results - and this seems like a really good place to ask.

Okay, the story is this - I want to mount two minicameras (front and back) to my car, to record the tours I do. Both are regular minicams, so they deliver their video via cinch connectors. Now the obvious question is - how on earth do I record the video and audio?! The audio will either come from the integrated mics or two seperate mics, I'll have to see. Maybe one in the engine bay and one near the exhaust ...

I found the Archos AV series and thought about getting me two AV 500 (one for the front and one for the rear camera that is). Now the real question is - is it possible? Can the Archos AVs record Video and Audio via regular cinch inputs?

The cameras, by the way, are of the type often used for "rear view" in cars ...

Thanks guys!

Chris

MarkTaylor

I suspect what you are calling 'cinch' connectors we more normally refer to as 'RCA'.

If this is the case then it seems likely the cameras are delivering a composite signal and yes it is possible to get most Archos units to accept a composite video input. In most cases they need a dock but it is possible.

There are problems though like the length of the video you need to record and you do need to check the cameras to make sure it is just a normal composite signal.

dergizzle

Standard Member
I suspect what you are calling 'cinch' connectors we more normally refer to as 'RCA'.

If this is the case then it seems likely the cameras are delivering a composite signal and yes it is possible to get most Archos units to accept a composite video input. In most cases they need a dock but it is possible.

There are problems though like the length of the video you need to record and you do need to check the cameras to make sure it is just a normal composite signal.

Hey,

first of all I'd like to thank you for your reply! And next I'd like to say I am sorry I have to sound like somebody who really does not have a clue - because quite frankly I really don't. :D

Seriously though, I'm pretty sure the cameras deliver a composite signal so that should not be an issue. I think I will now have to get my hands on the stuff and try if (or rather how well) it works.

I really like recording features of the Archos AV series. Using even two or three of them seems like a lot less trouble than, for example, a car-capable PC or a laptop.

Are there any other portable or 12v-capable devices that can act as an AV recorder? I didn't really find anything except the Archos AV series.

Thanks again,
Chris

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom