1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reclock and ac97 onboard sound

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by fallwood, Oct 18, 2004.

1. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Im still a bit confused at to if i need to run reclock or not. When i play a dvd using theatertek 1.5 the audio seems to drop out every now and then , most noticable when i watched the start wars trilogy, by halfway through the opening scene (scrolling text ) the sound started to drop out for a split second and then start again, i then installed reclock and everything seemed fine, next day i watched empire strikes back and the same dropout started again, i then disabled reclock and all was fine, tonight i watched return of the jedi and again the same sound problem , re-enabled reclock but then i was getting juddering on screen pans so disabled it and again film played ok, this time i noticed that the audio sync seemed to be slightly off by about halfway through the film. Is this a problem that reclock will fix as from what ive read its supposed to correct video judder and not audio dropout. Im using a mentor 9600se and my onboard ac97 spdif output to a yamaha ax630se , are their any known compatibility problems with these 2 pieces of hardware.

2. paublo

paublo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    This should be reasonably accurate and is my understanding of whats going on, feel free to correct me anyone... :)

Reclock is all about syncing the refresh rate of your graphics card to the output of the sound card - essentially matching their output.

For an PAL source, your refresh rate would need to be a mulitple of 25hz - i.e. 50hz or 75hz... I run 75..
    For NTSC, it needs to be a multiple of 24hz - say 72hz..

subject to the refresh rate matching the output (Ntsc/Pal) reclock will flash and then go green to indicate that it has locked... if it is yellow then it is essentially too far out i.e. ntsc film on a pal refresh rate.

If you are using a 60hz panel or projector, then I would doubt if it will help you very much...

I hope this moves you on little...

3. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    So i need to set refresh to 75hz for pal and 60hz for ntsc, only problem is for some reason the advanced timing options in powerstrip is now greyed out and i cant access it, used it to set resolution to 1280 x 720 but now cant set refresh rates. Getting mighty p***ed off with this htpc lark i built this machine to replace my dvd player to play dvd's and nothing else and so far its turning out to be far too much hassle, surely it must be easier than this to get good dvd playback.

system specs are

shuttle sk43g
    512 ddr
    2000 athlon xp
    ac97 onboard sound (using spdif out)
    mentor radeon 9600se graphic card
    40gb hd
    using theatertek 1.5 and ffdshow
    connected through vga to ptea 500

surely this should be good enough.

4. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,150
    Reclock is useful for syncing your graphics card and soundcard together not necessarily each other . This means you won't get annoying jumps when your soundcard goes out of sync with your video stream and attempts to resync by dropping frames.

think of it as providing an external sync reference for your PC , its not just about tweaking refresh rates.

5. paublo

paublo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Check the graphics card drivers - just go to ati.com and download the latest catayst drivers 4.3 upwards will be fine... Also make sure you are running a relatively new version of powerstrip. Once installed add the customer 720 hdtv resolution and reboot, then adjust the refresh rates to match the projector..

Also, make sure you are selecting the right output within powerstrip, if the 9600se is a dual headed card - one DVI, one Dsub then try selecting the other one.... top right of powerstrip..

Keep going it will be worth it at 720p...

If all fails, see if you can try out another sound card - Revo 7.1 etc... not too expensive..... :cool:

Paul.

6. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    At the moment the refresh rate is set to 60hz in 1280 x 720 , if i try to change to 75 hz for pal the display is offset verticaly with a blue band at the bottom and cannot be rectified, tried playing empire strikes back anyway to see if sound was ok but the dropout is still there so it cant be a refresh rate issue. My other pc has ac97 onboard sound and everything plays fine on it . In theatertek what should i choose as the spdif, it says in the theatertek docs to choose wav out but if i do the sound is out of sync right from the start by about 3 seconds and if i choose direct sound i get the dropout. Considering getting another sound card , the only one my local pc shop has in stock is the audigy is this ok or will i still get problems.