1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recipe for HTPC?? (or recipe for a disaster)

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by avinalarf, Jul 28, 2005.

1. avinalarf

avinalarf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have a Panasonic AE700 projector connected to an old Sony DVD Player. I wish to feed it via DVI with a 1280x720 signal, so I am thinking of building an HTPC (running under WinXP Pro), and I followed the link from the first sticky in this forum ('HCPC recommended configuration with links') to www.cinemapc.co.uk.

In an article dated April 2005 on that website was a 'recipe' for an HTPC, as follows:

Case: Antec Overture.
    MoBo: Abit NF7-S nForce2.
    CPU: AMD XP-M 2500+.
    CPU Cooling: Thermalright SP97 + Panaflo 92mm fan.
    RAM: Corsair PC3200 DDR RAM.
    VGA: ATI Radeon 9800 Pro AIW. Alternatively, if don't need gaming or PVR (I don't need either) then a Radeon 9200 SE.
    Sound: Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro.
    HDD: Maxtor DiamondMax Plus9 80GB.
    DVD: Samsung SD616T DVD-ROM.
    etc.

Has anyone out there built anything like the above HTPC, and were there any significant problems or changes that they made, particularly with the CPU, MoBo and/or DVD?? Looking for these components on the web, I get the feeling that they are a bit outdated. Does anyone agree/disagree??

Does anyone see any changes to the above parts-list that would give an improved final result??

If I install the usual S/W (Powerstrip, Theatertek etc etc) am I going to get the sort of PQ that will knock my socks off??

I have spent many hours reading the forum, and I was just getting more confused as to what to purchase until I came across the above design. So your comments/suggestions would be gratefully received.

Many thanks,
    Peter

2. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    For a new build I would start with a 3ghz processor, 1gb of RAM and maybe you will need more storage than an 80gb hard drive?

Also graphics card - the Pure Video technology is good and popular on here, you may want to look into a graphics card that works well with that here

And, do you want silent components...? If so would need to look at a quiet PSU, CPU cooler, fanless graphics card, quiet hard drive etc..

lisa

3. Xelon

Xelon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    After reading many articles about HTPC, it seems you need a pretty beefy machine if you want to view Hi-Def material especialy the WMV-HD standard and theres a new up and coming Hi-Def standard (forget the code name) which will require a ninja Video Card, no current processor has the ability to decode this new standard, so I have just ordered the following components.

Antec Overture II Case (450w near silent PSU)
    AMD Athlon 64 3700+ (San Diego 1mb Cache)
    MSI KN8 Diamond Nforce 4 SLI Mainboard with Bluetooth & Wi-Fi and SB 24bit Sound.
    Nvidia 7800GTX Video Card.
    1 Gig of Corsair XMS 3200 DDR (2x512Mb Cas2 2-2-2-5)
    Terratec PCI DVB-T card.
    NEC DL DVD RW
    MCE Remote and MS Desktop Elite for Bluetooth.

The 7800GTX probably seems a bit overkill, but it apparantly has many HD acceleration features,and can also upscale SD material using the new purevideo feature, plus I also play games.

Just hope it all works this weekend.