1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reciever upgrade? (DB780 to 3805)

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Roguey, Aug 1, 2004.

1. Roguey

Roguey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    hi, sorry to post another "which reciever" however, ive been looking about for answers for days now, and id like to ask people with experience of it.

I currently have an Sony DB780 (spec below) powering my KEF Q7, KEF Q9, Paragidm PW2500 and some Gale 3040 as for rears (until get some money and get better). The DB780 cost me around £300 now, and ive read reports of it being weak in the bass dept. and wonder how good it is in the DD/DTS section as well.

Ive been looking at the Denon 3805 for an possible upgrade, maybe even bi-amp it so i can push 240w to the front (i know the Q7 will handle only 175w), but my question is this: Would an 3805 make impact on sound quality over my DB780?

thanks for ur replies :smoke:

DB780 specs:
    Entry QS range receiver with Virtual 6.1 channel sound
    Dolby Prologic/Dolby Prologic 2
    Dolby Digital/DTS
    DSP (32bit)
    Power output (RMS 20Hz-20kHz)
    Surround mode front 4 ohm/8 ohm 2 x 75 W/2 x 90 W
    Surround mode center 4 ohm/8 ohm 1 x 75 W/1 x 90 W
    Surround mode rear 4 ohm/8 ohm 2 x 75 W/2 x 90 W

2. leedavies

leedavies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I'm in a similar position. I have a Sony DB940 which is about to be upgraded to a Denon 3805.

The Sony sounded pretty good when I first got it, as an upgrade from a 25" Pro-Logic TV. Since then, I've heard lots of amps from other manufacturers and have come to the conclusion that the Sony amps just sound "weak".

Plenty of bass from the sub and the surround effects are ok - just that the sound doesn't "kick" like other amps.

- Lee

3. Roguey

Roguey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    and u got an DB940, so my DB780 wont b as good - surely? what speakers are u using on it? and do u get the feeling sometimes in DD stuff that the sound goes from too quiet to way loud? however using the 5.1 input get fairly good qulaity, its like the decoder isnt very good?

if ur getting one soon, ill love to know what happen and the differents.

scary i have the same name, lol

4. Roguey

Roguey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    can anyone else compaire an £300ish reciever to an 3805? and what they found? :suicide:

5. ChalkyCardiff

ChalkyCardiff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm in the middle of my second home demo for the last two weekends and I'm in a similar position.

I have a Yamaha dsp620 about three years old and was just under £400 then.

I have demoed both Denon 3805 and Arcam AVR300 for the period of a whole weekend.

There are definate benefits from upgrading to either amp, power, finesse, stereo performance, features etc etc.

The problem in my eyes is that perfromance, spec etc are changing so quick if you spend £1000 its out of date in probably six months. Thats a decision we all have to make.

Its easier to make decisions when your in your own environment with your own kit and cables and then you can make real comparisions.

In my opinion neither amp has blown me away like I expected but there are improvements. I expected more but how much further can processing alone take you without adding the extra speakers etc that would take your systems to new levels????

6. Roguey

Roguey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    i get what u mean, new models and that. specially if u go for the best, it can de-value so quickly. what kinda of speakers u using on it? is Kef Q7 about right for that kind of reciever?

as for features, my reciever i dont really use any, as they so poor. the eq only works for the 2 front speakers, it only has two pre-sets for volumes of speakers (5.1 input and everything else), no component video, no video upgrade, no serial, 5.1 amp. nice to have like u said, but costly eh?

only other thing, my audio thu the 5.1 inputs sounds much better than decodes like DD/DTS, this shouldnt b? it should be as good?